Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 45 of 66 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
    I don't necessarily want us to sign Hosmer. I was saying I can see us doing it bc it is what mo does. He is a solid hitter but isn't technically an "upgrade" from what we have now.

Yeah, I would pass on Hosmer and try to make a run at Manny or JD next offseason..

Quote Originally Posted by stlfan544 View Post
    I don't necessarily want us to sign Hosmer. I was saying I can see us doing it bc it is what mo does. He is a solid hitter but isn't technically an "upgrade" from what we have now.
    I don't see how this fits in with Moz's career MO at all.

He is an expensive free agent, and not at a position of particular need.

So basically we are going to be a fringe playoff team again. All this money and prospects to better the team and we are going to sit back and be average again. Cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Most of the big name free agents are still unsigned. Trades are still an option too. If this team looks like this by March, i'll complain with you. But until then, its a waiting game, just like it is for the other 29 teams.

I understand that, but what Jeffy implied is very possible to happen to where we make a couple small moves and call it an offseason.
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

I still think closer will be addressed.... whether its Colome, Reed, or Holland. Then maybe a bat for the bench (i want Adam Lind).

I guess I wouldn't expect a HUGE signing/trade. but i think there will be a couple extra moves still to come

If they can't land a legit difference maker, wouldn't we rather them save the money than make a move that doesn't really help?

And fail to get a difference maker next year too? I mean, we need another bat to compete. If we aren't going to get that bat, then get a starter and trade for Colome. We can afford it, and can make that trade also. I like the idea of Martinez at 1B and Carp back to 3B. Then use one of Gyorko/Wong as trade bait.

Get a starter if that bats aren't good enough in FA. Darvish/Arietta would help our team out tremendously.

exactly.... seems like a lot of knee jerk reactions. I would much rather wait a year and land a difference maker. The Cardinals tried to land Stanton, and they tried to land Donaldson. It isn't like they're just blowing smoke. If they can't land their top dogs, we shouldn't just waste the assets that we have. Hold onto them and go after a super star next year.

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    So basically we are going to be a fringe playoff team again. All this money and prospects to better the team and we are going to sit back and be average again. Cool.
    I imagine the team is checking in on every body, and if a price makes sense, they'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    If they can't land a legit difference maker, wouldn't we rather them save the money than make a move that doesn't really help?
    Exactly.

Don't make a move just to make a move. New opportunities will create themselves. We could have Josh Donaldson August 1st for example. Or we could make a dumb trade now and trade the pieces the Jays would have wanted.

No need to rush through things.

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    And fail to get a difference maker next year too? I mean, we need another bat to compete. If we aren't going to get that bat, then get a starter and trade for Colome. We can afford it, and can make that trade also. I like the idea of Martinez at 1B and Carp back to 3B. Then use one of Gyorko/Wong as trade bait.

Get a starter if that bats aren't good enough in FA. Darvish/Arietta would help our team out tremendously.
    I don't see why our offense needs 'another' difference maker.

We have a pretty legit offense. We just added Ozuna to the 9th best wRC+ team in baseball from last year. With Ozuna, we would have been right around 5th, which would have been best in the NL Central, and only behind the Dodgers in the NL.

Our rotation is probably about the same as last year (98 -FIP and -ERA), which is 12th best in baseball. Miles replaces Lynn, doubt Wainwright is that bad again, and if he is, then a young starter will get his innings. We probably remain in that range.

And our pen was 12th last year in ERA- and 11th in FIP-. Gregerson should replace Oh fine. But I'd really like to see a good arm in the back end (Holland, Reed, etc as long as the price is right).

I'd argue that we are a little better than a fringe playoff team.

We are basically a 90 win team. Cubs are around a 95 win team. Rest of the division is well behind us.

The only sub 90 win team since the second wild card to miss the playoffs was the 2013 Rangers with 91 wins and the 2012 Tampa Bay Rays with 90 wins.

That is 54 of the 56 teams that won 90 games made the playoffs (96.4%)

It wouldn't take much to top the Cubs either (who they, along with the Brewers - beat us head to head last year which killed us).

This is a good team. The Cubs have a great, home grown team they were able to assemble from a rebuild (we weren't going to be getting a Kris Bryant in a draft), while we selected in the bottom half of the draft and lost key players over the years to getting old from our 00's dominance.

This is a good team. I too would like another impact player. But it's not like they are just so easy to land. I find our pen to be mediocre and what needs to be improved. And Moz has said he is still looking to address it. So I would look there for the next move, and maybe land a JD type at the trade deadline.

With the signing of the extra depth at catcher do you think it is setting up Kelly to be traded? I hope not. Highly doubtful but never know. I don't think we are done making deals at all. We will see what happens though.

I think they want to make sure Kelly isn't just sitting. He'll probably start in AAA. It doesn't make a ton of sense to have him getting very few reps on the bench.

Page 45 of 66 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast