Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Houston is the only team that moved on that I was hoping for. I really, really hope they win the whole thing
    MLB is ecstatic. The four biggest US markets are in the LCS. Doesn't get much better for them. I too will be routing for Houston. Dodgers would be my second choice.

But always remember what they say, large payroll has nothing to do with wins. Just weird that we didnít win til we spent.

We should be at The damn luxury tax . The fans have done their part.

This is the reason I hate the annual line that the payroll is lower than it should be but but but there is money for deadline
    Moves. Unless we are out of it and then the money is pocketed. Spend the money before the season on better talent or obvious holes

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    But always remember what they say, large payroll has nothing to do with wins. Just weird that we didnít win til we spent.

We should be at The damn luxury tax . The fans have done their part.

This is the reason I hate the annual line that the payroll is lower than it should be but but but there is money for deadline
    Moves. Unless we are out of it and then the money is pocketed. Spend the money before the season on better talent or obvious holes
    It's not entirely true. Only 5/10 of the top spending teams made the playoffs. #4 and #5 both missed the playoffs. And we had the 5th highest opening day payroll this year. It's not about how much you spend, it's about getting value for your money and spending wisely. Also, 4 teams in the bottom half of spending made the playoffs.

How many teams in bottom 5 made the playoffs? And I donít buy the that we were top 5.

Regardless, the Al east is another beast. Donít buy a team to compete with nyy and bost and cheap out

I got 5 of the top 8 making it. 0 of bottom 8 making it per forbes

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    MLB is ecstatic. The four biggest US markets are in the LCS. Doesn't get much better for them. I too will be routing for Houston. Dodgers would be my second choice.
    Yah, I never even thought about it being the four biggest markets.

Verlander with an absolute gem

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    How many teams in bottom 5 made the playoffs? And I donít buy the that we were top 5.

Regardless, the Al east is another beast. Donít buy a team to compete with nyy and bost and cheap out
    Arizona is 7th last in payroll, even by Forbes. Play in the same division as two other high spending teams, and made the playoffs. Again, it's all about spending your money wisely.

I'm not sure where Forbes gets their numbers, but I've looked at approximately 10 other sites that have the Jays at 155 or higher for opening day. All have them in the top 10, with a couple between 4 and 6. Here's one in the top five.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/h...roll-for-2017/

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Arizona is 7th last in payroll, even by Forbes. Play in the same division as two other high spending teams, and made the playoffs. Again, it's all about spending your money wisely.

I'm not sure where Forbes gets their numbers, but I've looked at approximately 10 other sites that have the Jays at 155 or higher for opening day. All have them in the top 10, with a couple between 4 and 6. Here's one in the top five.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/h...roll-for-2017/
    FORBES is 100% wrong its all about how they perceieve the market. the NY metro area has 2 baseball teams, not to mention 7 other pro franchises sharing that market

the blue jays through Rogers has an entire nation that they can and do Market too, When I lived in calgary with my wife, Blue Jays games were part of our cable package at if I remember correctly was $5.99 a month as part of shaw cable. my father in law was from Scarborough, so when Laidlaw transferred him to the Alberta terminus he had to subscribe to see his Jays, so he did. and that was more than a decade ago.

FORBES doesnt consider that as part of the Jays market. In NY where I grew up Met fans wouldnt be caught dead going to Yankee stadium and Yankee fans wouldnt be caught dead going to Shea, yet Forbes still comsiders them as having the same basic Market. (certain outlying areas geographically are closer to one or the other stadiums are the only difference) but as you can easily see their methodology is patently flawed and ridiculous. New Jersey has tried several times to buy an existing Major League team, only to be blocked by the Mets, Yankees, and phillies.... the 75 Mile exclusivity rule is ignored for teams currently in a market but it kills any attempt to infringe.

Forbes entire breakdown is ridiculous, because of factors like these. The real reason the Yankees are so rich is for 2 reasons, years ago STEINBRENNER balked at being paid the same as the Mets on MSG, Cablevisions sports channel so he left and Started the first regional sports Network. YES (for Yankees Entertainment & Sports) and that was a huge success, so much so that most other teams have their own regional networks now. but BIG GEORGE was first and that changed the whole dynamic of tv revenues. and the yankees were the first to average over $100 a ticket. Now many teams do but they were first, and they regularly sell out the special sections which sell for $2500 bucks a seat....dont ask me who or why but to me thats insane...

thats a cool 1 million for a family of 5 to buy season tickets. I dont know about you guys but thats a little out of my price range.....

any team with their own private network is lying out of their azz when they cry poormouth
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 10-16-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123