Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Looks like we are closing in on signing Jhoulys Chacin, no details on length or price. I think this could be a good deal, he was solid for year at Coors and was decent last year at Petco. I was hoping for a little more upside but he is a cheaper alternative to the big names and should be a solid arm that gives our offense the opportunity to win every 5th day.

Also the Rays traded Longoria to the Giants, which might mean the Rays would be sellers (or just that the got out of an aging big contract and got a nice prospect back).

Iím okay with chacon if we get a big name guy now. If not, this is going to be a frustrating offseason.

Found an interesting article on chacin on Twitter. It was actually from the website cubs insider and he was trying to identify potential FA steals. The article was about how chacin could be a steal. His offspeed stuff is fantastic. According to the article, the only slider in baseball that was more valuable than chacinís was scherzer. Chacins was better than everyone else. He also gets above the 80th percentile in movement on his curveball and sinker.

The article hypothesized that with better pitch sequencing, chacin could see better results. The most effective pitchers throw slider then 4 seamer quite often. Chacin didnít do that much at all. Partially because his 4 seamer is his worst pitch of the 4. He also throws a change once and a while.

So he makes for an interesting case. The authors points may be valid. The flip side arguement is that his fastball isnít as good as guys like archer or scherzer who throw fastball after the slider a lot, so just throwing more fastballs isnít necessarily going to improve his numbers. But you could also argue part of the reason his fastball wasnít a super valuable pitch for him is because he didnít set it up well with sequencing. I know our staff worked with Nelson last year to get him to throw less two seamers and more four seamers, and it paid off. Itíll be interesting to see if we take that same approach with chacin.

Gallardo details are he makes $2 mill if he makes the opening day roster and thereís $2 mill more in incentives. But those incentives are based both on games and innings, so he could be a start or reliever. This is according to adam mccalvy. Basically a major league deal but no guaranteed money.

How do you guys feel about this fairly radical idea? What if we sign Lorenzo Cain to play center? Then we can make Brinson the centerpiece for a trade for an ace, perhaps fulmer or archer. Really in theory, that makes guys like Phillips, burnes, Ortiz and woodruff potentially expendable too. (Iíd be open to moving Diaz and maybe erceg, even though I love erceg).So whoever isnít involved in a deal for the pitcher can be swapped for another starter, like a dan straily.

Or, instead of a dan straily type deal, maybe sign lance Lynn if the price is right.

Then trade some middling pieces for a reliever or two. We can sign a reliever and maybe sign Neil walker as well.

Lineup could be something like:

Cain, walker, Braun, Shaw, Santana, Thames/Aguilar, pina, Arcia, pitcher.

Rotation would be

Archer/fulmer
    Anderson
    Straily/Lynn
    Davies
    Chacin/Nelson

The bullpen still needs peices, but we would still have money left in theory. We definitely would have milked the top of the farm dry. In my scenario, weíd still have Harrison and huira at least, as well as at least a few other decent guys. If we sign Lynn, then weíd probably still have a few extra guys too. Iím thinking the archer deal being something like Brinson, burnes, woodruff and Dubon.

Iím not sure i love it. But itís intereting. Thereís some articles floating around that this offseason may be tough for free agents. The historically big spending teams like the yanks and dodgers are trying to stay underneath the tax line. A lot of those teams (add Washington and maybe even the cubs) are prepping for big time free agents next year like machado and Harper. So the md tier guys may find it tough to sign. So if we are going to sign guys, this season may be a good time.

At this point, I think we only go 1/2 type pitchers. So I would say no to Staily and probably Lynn. I really like Cain but I would not give him more than 2/30 for our team and he will easily get 4/60. I think that we could still trade Brinson in an Archer-type deal and go with Phillips/Broxton in center and be fine.

Here's what I would do.
    1)Trade for Danny Duffy for 3 decent prospects, 1 top 100 (say Isan Diaz, Monte Harrison, and Cody Ponce)
    2)Trade Broxton to SF for Hunter Strickland
    3)Sign a couple cheap bullpen arms options

Duffy, Anderson, Davies, Chacin, Woodruff
    We would go with a platoon of Villar/Sogard at 2nd with some money to get a guy if it does work a month or two in.

Neither of you pictures Hader to be in the starting rotation? I kind of feel like leaving him in the bullpen is a waste, unless you just don't think he has enough good pitches to be a starter.

He was very effective out of the pen last year. In the majors, he threw his fastball 81% of the time. He only threw his changeup like 5% of the time and it wasnít very effective. Heís a two pitch pitcher so far. And Iím not sure that his slider is consistent enough to always be a weapon. When his slider is off, you canít be a starter with only one pitch. But you can get through an inning or two with just the fastball when your fastball is as good as his.

If we arenít planning on being competitive next year, then maybe start him, just to see. If we wanna be competitive, he had the most value to the team as a reliever. Really as a starter, Iím not sure he deserves big league spot. As a reliever, heís either the 8th inning guy or the high leverage floater who can throw 2 innings if we go with a less traditional bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    At this point, I think we only go 1/2 type pitchers. So I would say no to Staily and probably Lynn. I really like Cain but I would not give him more than 2/30 for our team and he will easily get 4/60. I think that we could still trade Brinson in an Archer-type deal and go with Phillips/Broxton in center and be fine.

Here's what I would do.
    1)Trade for Danny Duffy for 3 decent prospects, 1 top 100 (say Isan Diaz, Monte Harrison, and Cody Ponce)
    2)Trade Broxton to SF for Hunter Strickland
    3)Sign a couple cheap bullpen arms options

Duffy, Anderson, Davies, Chacin, Woodruff
    We would go with a platoon of Villar/Sogard at 2nd with some money to get a guy if it does work a month or two in.
    To me, one of the issues with this strategy is that itís playing the middle so much. Last year, our offense was pretty poor down the stretch. In this scenario, weíve done basically nothing to improve the offense. The hope is that no one regresses and villar bounces back.

The rotation improves and thatís about it. It might help us win another couple games, which helps us make the playoffs, but doesnít really put it in contention.

This offseason is shaping up to be one of the best opportunities to spend. The top end guys will still get paid, but the big spenders arenít throwing money around. So I donít hate the idea of signing a few guys. Either make a push to really improve and sign guys like Cain, Lynn and walker and trade for an ace. Or just sort of play it down the center and stay status quo. Making a few trades to get slightly better isnít great.

I feel like getting rid of Broxton would be addition by subtraction in center. I agree in my scenario that I didn't improve 2nd base but I think that giving Villar another chance makes sense and there will still be a bunch of trade options at second if he fails. If anything we have Perez, Sogard, and Dubon who could all fill in and not cost us anything.

To be honest, I forgot about Hader as a starter. I think I would start him out in spring training as a starter and if he doesn't look spectacular I would keep him in the pen as the set-up man.

I do like Cain but think we could get the same production if Brinson gets everyday work. To me Lynn will be a free agent dud, he is to out of shape for me to think he will pitch at a high level for more than a year or two. I like Walker but really only for a year with our strong prospects at 2B. In the small market like Milwaukee, I am hesitant to spend 15-20 mill on a 30-32 year old. With all our young guys having to be paid better in a couple years, I prefer not having to many big salaries that would force us to trade guys like Shaw, Arcia, Nelson, or Santana if we have a bad contract on the books.

Cain has had 5+ war seasons in 3 of the last 4 seasons. Assuming Brinson can come near that level of production immediately is short sited. And itís not only that we are getting Cain, we would also be getting any top flight pitcher.

I know Brinson is a very good defender, but Cain was a top 3 defensive center fielder and is consistently near or at the top of defensive rankings. And heís a balanced hitter, which is something we donít have a ton of. We have a lot of all or nothing guys. Cain is not that.

I guess Iím not as convinced as everyone else that replacing broxton with Phillips and Brinson is some automatic, big upgrade. They both have had their struggles as well. We didnt give Brinson much of a fair shake at the big league level, but offensively, he has similar warts to broxton. Phillips is very similar. They all strike out a ton but have some pop. They will all likely be subjected to extended cold stretches.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Cain has had 5+ war seasons in 3 of the last 4 seasons. Assuming Brinson can come near that level of production immediately is short sited. And itís not only that we are getting Cain, we would also be getting any top flight pitcher.

I know Brinson is a very good defender, but Cain was a top 3 defensive center fielder and is consistently near or at the top of defensive rankings. And heís a balanced hitter, which is something we donít have a ton of. We have a lot of all or nothing guys. Cain is not that.

I guess Iím not as convinced as everyone else that replacing broxton with Phillips and Brinson is some automatic, big upgrade. They both have had their struggles as well. We didnt give Brinson much of a fair shake at the big league level, but offensively, he has similar warts to broxton. Phillips is very similar. They all strike out a ton but have some pop. They will all likely be subjected to extended cold stretches.

I like your train of thought, but I would target Yelich instead and eat a downgrade on D (he can play CF). At only 26 we can probably pay him when the time comes because Braun will be coming off the books. I think it's too late to pay Cain that kind of money for our organization as well.

Empty part/most of the farm on Realmuto, Yelich, and Barraclough and immediately extend their contracts in my opinion.

Still need a starter. We clearly donít have the resources to get the package youíre asking for and starting pitching. And we probably would have to milk the farm for those guys anyhow. So at that point, youíre going to have to build the rotation through free agency, which isnít easy.

Thatís part of the reason I like Cain. Heís not going to be cheap, but we donít have to give up prospects for him. That allows us to allocate prospects to pitching, which I think is more important to trade for than positional talent. All prospects are a crapshoot, but drafting an ace is probably the hardest thing in baseball. Thereís to much that can go wrong with pitching. So I think Iíd rather use our valuable prospects on at least one pitcher.

If we sign something like Cain and Lynn and trade Brinson and more for an ace. Then Iím okay building a package for Realmuto if we have enough left.

This offseason has been super boring. Like no free agents are signing except for relievers. Wonder if that means prices are coming down. I wasnít a fan of signing arrieta initially, but the longer this offseason drags out, the more likely the deal makes sense. Heck, maybe we can even talk him into a Cespedes type deal where itís like a 3 year deal with a fairly high salary and a year 1 opt out.

As much as I like Yelich, I agree we need to prioritize pitching. I wouldn't empty our system, I still worry that a bunch of our bats had career-ish years and could regress. Since we are loaded at 2b, of, and mid-tierpitching, I would look to package those "extras" and top of the rotation arm. Then is this team is in contention again I would find an upgrade.

I agree that Cain is great I just worry a couple years down the road that he will regress and we will be paying 15-20 million and it would affect our ability to retain a couple of our younger players. I would be extremely happy if we could sign him for 3/50 and then flip Brinson for a top of the rotation arm.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast