Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    If money was Otaniís motivation then he would wait for another year and be a FA probably easily securing easily a 100M dollar deal.

Itís pretty impressive how confident he is and probably figures heís gonna get paid in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    If money was Otaniís motivation then he would wait for another year and be a FA probably easily securing easily a 100M dollar deal.

Itís pretty impressive how confident he is and probably figures heís gonna get paid in the long run.
    Exactly. If all the stories are true, the Jays 50,000 in IFA money might get it done. They just can't afford to dump any more of it if they're serious about acquiring Ohtani and for some reason I feel like they are. Hope I'm right.

Letís hope he hates Trump so much that he wants to go to Canada. He would honestly be such a game changer to possibly add a top end pitcher and a part time bat for so cheap.

I don't think teams are as scared of free agency as some may think. They just dont like most of the players in this years' class.Top end players will still be sought after. Next year when Harper, Machado and Donaldson hit the market they will be lining up for their services.

I dont think the package you can get now for JD would be much better than what you could get for him at the deadline if he is healthy. Guerrero isn't beating down the door just yet, so there is no need to throw in the towel in on 2018 and trade JD away for prospects.

It still makes more sense to me to re-sign JD if you can and then move Vladdy to 1B/LF to try to get them both in our lineup asap. I don't want to lose our MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I don't think teams are as scared of free agency as some may think. They just dont like most of the players in this years' class.Top end players will still be sought after. Next year when Harper, Machado and Donaldson hit the market they will be lining up for their services.

I dont think the package you can get now for JD would be much better than what you could get for him at the deadline if he is healthy. Guerrero isn't beating down the door just yet, so there is no need to throw in the towel in on 2018 and trade JD away for prospects.

It still makes more sense to me to re-sign JD if you can and then move Vladdy to 1B/LF to try to get them both in our lineup asap. I don't want to lose our MVP.
    I agree.

I don't see the rush to trade him right now especially if he has a Donaldson-esque start to the season. He would still get a very good package at the deadline. I'm sure if the FO had their way it would be a complete rebuild but ownership more then likely wants to keeps butts in the seat and without Donaldson that's not going to happen.

On a side note, I heard on a podcast that Rogers were planning on looking at selling the naming rights to Rogers Centre and that could be (major emphasis on could be) a precursor to unloading the team some time down the road

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    I agree.

I don't see the rush to trade him right now especially if he has a Donaldson-esque start to the season. He would still get a very good package at the deadline. I'm sure if the FO had their way it would be a complete rebuild but ownership more then likely wants to keeps butts in the seat and without Donaldson that's not going to happen.

On a side note, I heard on a podcast that Rogers were planning on looking at selling the naming rights to Rogers Centre and that could be (major emphasis on could be) a precursor to unloading the team some time down the road
    Gambling on Donaldson to produce prior to the trade deadline is a bet I'm comfortable making. The package that he would fetch at the deadline would even be potentially bigger than the one he could get now due to a bidding war. If we're out of it he will be the #1 target on the market.

I can only hope Rogers will sell the team. Their time has come and gone. I remember when they first came in and injected money into a run down franchise all in that first off-season. AJ Burnett, BJ Ryan, Bengie Molina, Troy Glaus. I was in high school at the time and distinctly remember that year being the year where the fans really started to come back. Weekend games were actually getting 30 000 fans and while it didn't work out, we finally made some noise in the AL East. They increased the cap more and more but then when we were one or two pieces away they were reluctant to spend. We need an ownership that's willing to dish out big money because we've proven to be a big market.

^be careful what you wish for.

Interbrew bought out Labbatt's. They were a monster but saw the Jays as a nuicence in their portfolio. What I do believe is that Rogers has come to the point where they have almost maximized their profits vs. What they paid for. This would be time to divest themselves of a team that is making much more than people here give them credit for.

I wouldn't be against Rogers selling, and am leaning towards hoping they do. Unfortunately, ending up with Jeffery Loria as an owner wont be better.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post

I wouldn't be against Rogers selling, and am leaning towards hoping they do. Unfortunately, ending up with Jeffery Loria as an owner wont be better.
    They wouldn't possibly let him back in would they?

I was reading about the Jays trading Lane Thomas back months ago for international cap space. It said the Jays actually have roughly 1M now and not the reported 50,000. That actually makes them in the mix.

I know heís not all about the money but offering 50G compared to others 3M is gonna effect anyone. Now 1M to 3M and knowing he will make much more in time makes more sense.

I do wonder how much heís made in his career to date. I did a short google search but didnít come up with anything

I think a decent buy low option would be Tony Kemp for the Astro's. With him being a 2B/CF and stuck behind guys like Altuve/Springer/Gonzalez/Fisher he should be expendable on there end. He's only had a total of 150 MLB at bats and rather crappy numbers in that time but a versatile lefty bat with speed and amazing AAA numbers hes a good break out guy IMO.

I read somewhere that they're going after him with everything that they can. I can't find the quotes now. Maybe I can later.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    I was reading about the Jays trading Lane Thomas back months ago for international cap space. It said the Jays actually have roughly 1M now and not the reported 50,000. That actually makes them in the mix.

I know heís not all about the money but offering 50G compared to others 3M is gonna effect anyone. Now 1M to 3M and knowing he will make much more in time makes more sense.

I do wonder how much heís made in his career to date. I did a short google search but didnít come up with anything
    Got a link?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...-shohei-otani/

So if the Jays were to get Otani then they'd have to move Morales. Even if he pitches every 5 days with 1 day DH in between, the Jays will have to move Morales.

https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2017/...onzalez-garcia

I still really like the idea of getting Profar. I am also curious to see how Hutch would fit into the Pen, he would versatility and be a good Set-up guy.

Out of all the Marlins potentially on the block an OF: Alford/Yelich/Hernandez has me the most excited to think about. Again I like Pillar but we need more of a bat.

So Otani, Profar, Hutch, Yelich with Big Al AND Tigger in the outfield with Janssen backing up. I'd be good with that as long as trade costs are not ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Hifi View Post
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...-shohei-otani/

So if the Jays were to get Otani then they'd have to move Morales. Even if he pitches every 5 days with 1 day DH in between, the Jays will have to move Morales.

https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2017/...onzalez-garcia

I still really like the idea of getting Profar. I am also curious to see how Hutch would fit into the Pen, he would versatility and be a good Set-up guy.

Out of all the Marlins potentially on the block an OF: Alford/Yelich/Hernandez has me the most excited to think about. Again I like Pillar but we need more of a bat.

So Otani, Profar, Hutch, Yelich with Big Al AND Tigger in the outfield with Janssen backing up. I'd be good with that as long as trade costs are not ridiculous
    thats the reasin the Jays wont get otani because nobody will takr morales on the present comtract

I can't disagree with that Mike. The best hope is they eat the whole contract to move Morales. No matter what the FO will need to be creative, I don't think they can look like they are totally rebuilding. If Rogers is looking to maximize profits then a rebuild isn't going to gain max dollar. Instead cut cost in all other departments while looking as they are competitive and increasing some payroll.

Selling the farm will not do either for an all in move. IMO a balance of current core with a transition to speed and better base running rather than station to station is the way to go.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast