Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    So McGuire, Jansen, Pentecost, Tellez, Greene, Romano, Rios, Case, Perdomo and Pannone are all gonna be exposed to the rule 5 draft if not added.

I think Greene, Jansen and Pentecost would get taken for sure. McGuire, Tellez, Romano and Pannone could also be selected. Might be a good time to make some trades.

^That right there is very real. It's why I always played the..., use prospects as capital unless they are truly stand outs. 4 of those guys were to be the future of this organization.

The last one for me to learn my lesson was Travis Snyder. I really believed he was going to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    ^That right there is very real. It's why I always played the..., use prospects as capital unless they are truly stand outs. 4 of those guys were to be the future of this organization.

The last one for me to learn my lesson was Travis Snyder. I really believed he was going to make it.
    welcome back my friend, and youre right 100% this isnt the 40's and 50's anymore where you could prospect hoard, the nane if the game now is identificaion of who your real prospects are, and using the rest as trade fodder

sure you maye get burned every so often but of you can Identify well enough the percentage wont be hogh enough to really hurt you

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    So McGuire, Jansen, Pentecost, Tellez, Greene, Romano, Rios, Case, Perdomo and Pannone are all gonna be exposed to the rule 5 draft if not added.

I think Greene, Jansen and Pentecost would get taken for sure. McGuire, Tellez, Romano and Pannone could also be selected. Might be a good time to make some trades.
    I assume the four spots they just opened on the 40 man will go to some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I assume the four spots they just opened on the 40 man will go to some of them.
    Oh for sure but you still have FA to sign, possibly players to trade for with specs. Id think we will lose one or two guys but oh well.

Gotta keep Jansen, Pentecost, Tellez and Greene.

Other guys are decent but low chance they'll do anything special in the Majors.

Picked up Taylor Guerrieri decent pick up...

Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
    welcome back my friend, and youre right 100% this isnt the 40's and 50's anymore where you could prospect hoard, the nane if the game now is identificaion of who your real prospects are, and using the rest as trade fodder

sure you maye get burned every so often but of you can Identify well enough the percentage wont be hogh enough to really hurt you
    Thanks buddy. This place is like ghost chilies to me. When I'm in the mood, I like it a lot. Then the heat gets overwhelming and I need a break.

So if the Jays do sign a qualified player they lose the 50th pick and 500,000 towards there int. spending. Not a huge deal to me at all if your gonna sign a Arrieta, Hosmer, Cain type but it would make me think twice about a guy like Lynn, Cobb or Holland. Still wouldnt be to upset but it makes some guys of the non qualified guys a bit more intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    Thanks buddy. This place is like ghost chilies to me. When I'm in the mood, I like it a lot. Then the heat gets overwhelming and I need a break.
    Hell Triumph, Everybody hates me here, but I was a Fed with the IRS. I'm used to it. And I wouldn't respect myself if I didn't speak what I believe to be true

All I hope for is that someday if I've been right. That someone will learn from it and pay it forward. What good is any knowledge of any kind of you don't share it?

For me the hardest thing is knowing the fans of this team deserve better and their ownership won't give it to them. That's the frustrating part for me
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 11-09-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    So if the Jays do sign a qualified player they lose the 50th pick and 500,000 towards there int. spending. Not a huge deal to me at all if your gonna sign a Arrieta, Hosmer, Cain type but it would make me think twice about a guy like Lynn, Cobb or Holland. Still wouldnt be to upset but it makes some guys of the non qualified guys a bit more intriguing.
    I'm not a big fan of any of this free agent class outside of Darvish. This has to be one of the worst classes I've seen in some time.

The IFA money is huge because of Shohei Otani.

Quote Originally Posted by LechWalesa View Post
    I'm not a big fan of any of this free agent class outside of Darvish. This has to be one of the worst classes I've seen in some time.

The IFA money is huge because of Shohei Otani.
    thats why teams have been focusing on trading. here in NY that why the Yankees traded for Gray. more for this year and next because he was cost controllable, as well as the Acquistion of Kahnle in the White Sox deal. Cashman said at the time that Kahnle being controllable for 3 years was the key to the deal. which at first was strange considering Frazier and Robertson, are high Profile players. And the Mets traded for AJ Ramos in August specifically because they wanted to steer clear from free agency for a bullpen arm for 2018. At least that was the reasonings they gave the media at the time.

You really make a great Point. Lech Walesa. there's somewhat of a Paradigm shift in how teams view Free Agency. it used to be how teams filled holes, but mow it seems to be an avenue of last resort that teams want to shy away from unless they have absolutely no choice otherwise.

thats really a great point you made. I hadnt really given it as much thought as I should have till I read your post

Im sure Most teams are trying to be a little more Proactive in their resource management in light of that factor. and by extension, Id guess that means we might be in for a much more trade-centric winter meetings. that always makes for a lot of conversation
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 11-11-2017 at 08:46 AM.

you know what guys, based on Lech Walesa's great point We really should rethink the whole Donaldson scenario. His value as a trade piece will never be higher, Lech is absolutely right teams are shying away from free agents and a guy like Donaldson with no long term debt attached would be attractive to everyone, even if its only for one year. I dont think we'd get Multiple top prospects for him, but I do think we could get one Elite (top 10 overall) type prospect. The days of getting Multiple great prospects are gone because they can give you 6 years of control. but if we could have our pick of one prospect from like 15-20 teams it could be worth it

We'd just have to find the right team
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 11-11-2017 at 09:12 AM.

you know what guys, based on Lech Walesa's great point We really should rethink the whole Donaldson scenario. His value as a trade piece will never be higher, Lech is absolutely right teams are shying away from free agents and a guy like Donaldson with no long term debt attached would be attractive to everyone, even if its only for one year. I dont think we'd get Multiple top prospects for him, but I do think we could get one Elite (top 10 overall) type prospect. The days of getting Multiple great prospects are gone because they can give you 6 years of control. but if we could have our pick of one prospect from like 15-20 teams it could be worth it

If the deal was right I could turn the page as a fan. I don't expect it to happen though. I would certainly prefer they deal Donaldson for future assets than I would them dealing Bichette or Vlad thinking they can win now. Game seems to be getting younger.

I've been saying we need to move Donaldson for a while now and my hope is that this off-season the Cards or some other team will blow us away with a good offer, but somehow I don't see it happening.

Maybe a better trade for us would be, like you said, to get one really solid prospect back from the Cards along with a ton of IFA money (they reportedly have 300, 000). I've also heard that Jays scouts have been very proactive in establishing a relationship with Ohtani, which makes me think we could be a serious contender for his services -- assuming money really isn't his primary motivation.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast