Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

2017-18 Blue Jays Off-season

With a disappointing season about to end there is many different routes this team could take so where do most fans sit. If you and your buddy were Shapiro what would your plan of a attack be? Who are some reasonable trade targets or FA's you would target?

Tried to add a poll but the stupid thing timed out.

Anyway my options were

1. Sell everything, I'm talking JD, Happ, Smoak, Stroman, Sanchez, Osuna, Pillar even pay the $$$ on Martin, Morales and Tulo and sell them too.
    Be bottom dwellers for a couple seasons but we could be adding 10-15 young MLB ready guys along with bunch of high end prospects. No idea who would start next year other then Estrada and Biagani but who really cares, throw some kids like Hernandez, Alford, Pompey, Urena, Tellez, Jansen and some non prospects out, have a bunch of spots open for vets looking for a job who can be flipped later on and hopefully add a top 3 pick.

2. Look to trade JD, Happ maybe Smoak. Try to add MLB ready guys maybe spend some $$$ in Free agency but mainly add from within and leave the top end of the farm alone. Try to be competitive well rebuilding for the future.

3. Have a fairly quiet off season, maybe add some short deals to fill holes but really just see how the team does to start the year and see if things can just fall into place and the team is healthy and go for it. If it starts out bad trade off all expiring guys at the deadline.

4. Go for it. I'm talking make Vladdy, Bo, Pearson who ever available. Spend spend spend keep the butts in the seats and screw the future, the time is now.

5. Something else?

My self I'm torn between option 2 and 3.

It would be sad to know this team is going nowhere for a bit but man option 1 would be entertaining. As a guy who likes following specs that would be pretty fun.
    Last edited by LanceUpperCut; 10-01-2017 at 10:22 AM.

I'm not entirely sold on trading JD, but if they do and it's to the Cards I would look for something like:

Gyorko
    Flaherty
    Bader
    Alcantara

If Josh wants to be in the future, I would go get one of the Marlins top outfielders... in fact I would try to go after all 3 (Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna).

It's clear Marlins want to sell and sell fast...I would even imagine they would unload Dee Gordon who would finally give us a top of the order bat for 3 years who can steal a ton of bases.

If Marlins interested and Stanton would waive his no trade to come (highly unlikely but if you can sell him on the future of winning in Toronto and that he does have an opt out in 3 years if he truly hates it here) then I say:

Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna and Gordon
    FOR:
    Bichette, Teoscar, Alford, Pillar (So give them an outfield back), Urena, Travis, Reid-Foley, some 2 lower specs and one pen arm (take your pick Tepara, Barnes, Leone, etc).

If cant get Stanton and Jays truly want to keep Donaldson I would still pursue Yelich and Gordon at the very least for: Alford, Urena and a minor league arm (Zeuch, Reid-Foley, etc).

If they throw in Ozuna I would give possibly give them Bichette as a deal closer...

Or if JD doesn't want to sign I STILL would try to get Yelich for say Alford, a minor league arm (I think thats doable) and some lower level specs.
    Last edited by Sanyo; 10-01-2017 at 06:28 PM.

I think any route this team takes Otani is a piece they should be going hard after. I think Tyler Chatwood is a good FA target too, could be a guy who out performs his numbers once he leaves Coors. He throws hard and will only be 28 for all of next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    I'm not entirely sold on trading JD, but if they do and it's to the Cards I would look for something like:

Gyorko
    Flaherty
    Bader
    Alcantara
    For me It's
    Reyes
    Pham
    Gyorko

I'd get her done!

Quote Originally Posted by 1hardcore View Post
    For me It's
    Reyes
    Pham
    Gyorko

I'd get her done!
    I like, but we'll never get all 3. its why I said Flaherty, Pham and Gyorko, Pham is better than people think, getting him and Gyorko alone is pushing it

I can't see all three either unless added something else.

I do wonder what they think of Reyes though. Just had TJ surgery has had two weed suspensions already and had shoulder concerns back in 2015. Of course with that said he has the highest ceiling arm maybe in the minors so the reward is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    I can't see all three either unless added something else.

I do wonder what they think of Reyes though. Just had TJ surgery has had two weed suspensions already and had shoulder concerns back in 2015. Of course with that said he has the highest ceiling arm maybe in the minors so the reward is huge.
    And weed is legal here next Summer. I wonder if there will be a policy for that?

There's no way the Cards are giving up Pham.

Plus I don't know why Mike wants him, he will be 30 next year. That's at least 4 30 year olds he wants the Jays to pursue this offseason.

There's no way the Cards are giving up Pham.

Plus I don't know why Mike wants him, he will be 30 next year. That's at least 4 30 year olds he wants the Jays to pursue this offseason.
    Could it be that since the front office says they want to compete next year and that Pham and Gyorko in tandem makes us better than Donaldson alone, not only at less cost COMBINED than Donaldson ALONE, (on a proposed new contract) but also each is younger WITH MORE YEARS OF CONTROL.

kenny, The cardinals have a young Center fielder by the name of Harrison Bader who Director, Player Development Gary LaRocque feels is in the mold of Mike Trout, in other words an exciting young player, except they have Dexter Fowler on a big contract that cant move. They also have a HUGE need for a middle of the order bat. Thats where Donaldson comes in. Fowler since he doesnt have the arm for RF, slides seamlessly into LF.

according to Dave Nightengale, the Cardinals have already have had discussions about acquiring Donaldson, it doesnt take a genius to see who the Leadoff Hitter needy Blue Jays would target. this way the Cards get better at a reasonable $7-10M increase in salary, and the Jays get better and actually have save money on a Donaldson extension. thats why I expect the Cardinals to add in a pitcher to compensate us for helping them do what they need to at such a meager increase in salary.

and just so you know 29 year olds Pham and Gyorko are a big difference than acquiring a boatload of 33-34 year olds last year. 33-34 is in decline, 29 is in the middle of your prime.
    Last edited by Rush; 10-03-2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: STOP BAITING/INSULTING

How exactly am I showing how ignorant I am?

All I am saying is that the Cardinals won't include Pham in any deal centred around one year for Donaldson. It would be stupid for them to do so. The guy had a breakout year and if they get Donaldson, I would suspect they would want Pham there. He provided more value alone then Donaldson last year. Also if a trade of Donaldson happens expect to see young players coming back who line up with Vladdy and Bo.

YOU are the one who posted ad nauseum about this team acquiring guys on the wrong side of 30 and you've advocated multiple times so far to go out and get players that are over 30. It's funny how in another thread you are telling people to be consistent. Practice what you preach, maybe?

Also why don't you quit it with the insults. It really takes away from whatever point your trying to make. Which is not acquiring guys over 30. Or acquiring them. Flip, flop, flip, flop. At least try to be consistent
    Last edited by Kenny Powders; 10-03-2017 at 06:23 AM.

And Harrison Bader, the guy who I included in my trade proposal so no need to to be smug about it, is not Mike Trout.

How exactly am I showing how ignorant I am?

All I am saying is that the Cardinals won't include Pham in any deal centred around one year for Donaldson. It would be stupid for them to do so. The guy had a breakout year and if they get Donaldson, I would suspect they would want Pham there. He provided more value alone then Donaldson last year. Also if a trade of Donaldson happens expect to see young players coming back who line up with Vladdy and Bo.

YOU are the one who posted ad nauseum about this team acquiring guys on the wrong side of 30 and you've advocated multiple times so far to go out and get players that are over 30. It's funny how in another thread you are telling people to be consistent. Practice what you preach, maybe?

Also why don't you quit it with the insults. It really takes away from whatever point your trying to make. Which is not acquiring guys over 30. Or acquiring them. Flip, flop, flip, flop. At least try to be consistent
    Pham should be looked at like we see Smoak. I get he had a break out year and it was an amazing year but some guys need to do it more then one season. He could very well be a late bloomer and stay on this pace but even last year the Cards had guys like Diaz and Piscotty who looked like they were great pieces moving forward who fell back to earth the year after.

Hopefully guys like Pham and Smoak in are case keep this new level of elite play up but I wouldn't put money on it.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast