Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Final Series: Red Sox vs Astros

E-Rod out 2 Innings.

Final Series: Red Sox vs Astros

Game 159: Eduardo Rodriguez (6-6, 3.91) vs Peacock (12-2, 2.98)
    Game 160: Doug Fister (5-8, 4.87) vs Charlie Morton (13-7, 3.63)
    Game 161: Drew Pomeranz (16-6, 3.38) vs Lance McCuellers Jr (7-3, 4.01)
    Game 162: Chris Sale (17-7, 2.90) vs TBD

Miraculously the Sox still lowered their magic number to 1 courtesy of a Sonny Gray start that was almost as bad as EdRo's

At this point, I see the Red Sox winning the division, but I'd be hard pressed to see them (or the Yankees for that matter) move into the ALCS.

It's a long season, as we all know. Sale looks tired, Pomeranz and Rodriguez just put in their worst performances of the year, and both Porcello and Fister are as inconsistent as the day is long. The bullpen has been pretty solid all year, and of course Kimbrell is lights out -- if the Sox can get that far.

Meanwhile, the offense is currently sputtering (25th out of 30 in the majors for the month of September as measure by OPS -- Indians, Yankees, Twins and Astros are 1,2,4,& 5 respectively). Vazquez is hitting well and is the only consistent offensive threat right now. Bogaerts seems to be back on track, but Bradley, Jr. is mired in one of his characteristic deep slumps. Benintendi, Ramirez, and Moreland have been very streaky (one or two games on; one or two games off). Pedroia and Betts are playing, but not firing on all cylinders. Nunez is out. Ortiz is retired!

All that being said, I'm also going to venture that 92 wins is pretty good for this team. True, that is not nearly as much of a surprise as the Yankees 89 wins through yesterday, but still not bad.

Ramirez is such a bum

Hr !!
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by bosox1899 View Post
    Ramirez is such a bum
    Thanks! Keep it up!
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Thanks! Keep it up!
    I shall because once again we keep losing and the yanks keep on winning.

Not a surprise to me. I hear all this talk about how unexpected the Yankees' success has been this season. Sorry, but they're doing just about what was expected; the Las Vegas preseason odds had the Red Sox 12-1 for the World Series and the Yankees 14-1. Not all that much of a difference. FYI, the Astros were 10-1, the Indians 16-1, and the Twins 40-1 (now they are a real surprise).

source: http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/14 ... rld-series
    Last edited by Crovash; 09-30-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Despite the Vegas oddsmakers, I still think that the Yankees success was a surprise. Generally speaking, the rotation was a bit grey especially with some uncertainty around Tanaka. I don't think that most MLB insiders foresaw CC standing up through October. The position players are young and exciting and Cashman (IMO) did a great job of sprinkling vet presence around them. Very young teams often suffer from slumps as the more vet teams exploit their weaknesses. Save for the record-setting consecutive games with a strikeout string from Judge, the team largely avoided that (and Judge rebounded nicely).

FWIW, I thought the Red Sox' were a bit overstated. Their odds got better with the Sale acquisition but the back end of the rotation was a question mark and there was not a lot of depth behind it. Lacking a big offensive threat to pair with Ramirez, the Sox needed to have a more solid rotation to be a real threat. Panda was a blackhole-in-waiting at 3B and I'm not surprised to have seen HanRam going downhill post-Papi. I say this only to suggest that I'm not completely a homer when I express some surprise at the Yankees success.

l
    Oh so sorry... you know, you should switch to another city - a LOSER city because in this milennium in the 4 major sports, Boston are the Kings.

what position do you play on the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosston View Post
    what position do you play on the team?
    He is a fan. Great position.

Edit: though his post isn't a good one, neither is yours. This forum has truly gone toxic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk