Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2018-2019 Season Chat Thread

Wanted to make a thread for any random thoughts/rants/ideas of the team that didn't involve a particular player or game, just an open forum discussion. I do think we end up again in the bottom 10 (hopefully win the lotto for Dahlin).

Other than that I would put as almost guaranteed traded players if we are not in contention:

Booth/PA: If they get signed for mid to late round picks or a C level prospect at deadline.
    Sheahan: If he can bounce back and AA can replace him maybe we get a 2nd and a prospect or a 1st to a contender.
    Green: I can't imagine getting worse than a 2nd and a prospect if his offensive numbers stay the same or rise a little. We can even eat 50% of his cap hit to make it work to a contender and maybe get a first.

Players I would not be surprised if we are not in contention:

Helm: If he has a bounce back year, and can stay healthy, he can still be a good to very good 3rd line C or winger that brings speed to a lineup. I could see a serious contender that knows they will be for years (Wash, Pitt, maybe TB) giving up something for him as his cap hit isn't horrible.
    Daley: Yeah thats right, there was something very interesting in his contract. "Full NTC starting in 2017-18, up until 10 days prior to the 2018-19 trade deadline. After which, the player can provide the club with a 15 team no trade list." So this is JUST a clause for next season. Which makes me think if we are not in contention, he is on the seriously may happen list to be moved to a contender.
    XO: He is not a UFA at the end of his deal, and this would make room for Renouf or Russo. If XO has a bad year, I could see him being flipped before he has no value.

I also think Howard or Mrazek could be dealt depending on Coreau clearing waivers and depending on where teams are at and how they both play.

I would really like to get two lotto shots at next years #1 overall pick for either Dahlin (my pick) or Chevy's brother.

Man, I think your expectations are too high for the potential draft picks we could acquire for some of our fringe guys (unless I'm misunderstanding), although the Green possibility is pretty solid if we eat salary.

It feels weird being excited for a season when I expect the team to be so bad lol

Shine is the new Zengerle>Crisculo.

Green if we eat half becomes a easy to fit under the cap offensive D at the deadline. I think the value of a late first or 2nd and a prospect is spot on.
    Sheahan was garnering interest with the price of a first rounder during his horrible year last year, if he bounces back I don't see why a second or late 1st would be too much to ask on a big center that is still an RFA at the end of his contract.
    Booth can get us the same as Ott did, and PA if he can be a top 9 and score on a minimum deal could net a 3-4.

I don't think any of those are wildly out of line, just depend on production a little.

We need to be cap compliant by Tuesday, so we should all expect something crazy between now and then.

I just find it odd that teams would offer a 1st for a guy who just had such a historically awful season

although now I do see some trade rumor sending him to Pitt for Derrick Pouliot
    Last edited by GuySir; 09-30-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    I just find it odd that teams would offer a 1st for a guy who just had such a historically awful season

although now I do see some trade rumor sending him to Pitt for Derrick Pouliot
    Pittsburgh needs a third line center and he would if that. Not sure selling on him now is a good idea, given that his value is low, but if he could rebuild his stock it might be worth trying later. Then again, he could be just as awful this year and have no value whatsoever. Tough decision for the Wings to make.

If selling him now nets us a valuable return (Pouliot and some have said a draft pick) makes room for AA, then to me it is almost a no brainer. Nets us return and gets one of our younger players a bigger role and playing this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    If selling him now nets us a valuable return (Pouliot and some have said a draft pick) makes room for AA, then to me it is almost a no brainer. Nets us return and gets one of our younger players a bigger role and playing this year.
    to make for the extra $1.5M i think I read for AA to sign I'm good with it, I just got caught up in the whole idea of a 1st for him in general lol, sometimes the overall landscape escapes me

I also question what our line up will be when we turn it in Tuesday. Sounds like they want to sign Booth, which means they must be expecting AA to keep with holding.

Also I think Hicketts did enough to make this team. I thought he was arguably our best defender this pre-season.

Sounds like Hicketts got sent down to GR (according to Ansar) today which is disappointing. Though I imagine he will be called up once Kronwall hits the IR. Booth also could make them team which is amazing considering he looked like a flier before PS. Maybe as the 13th forward until an injury happens.

According to freep this is what the lineup currently looks like:
    Tomas Tatar-Henrik Zetterberg-Gustav Nyquist

Anthony Mantha-Dylan Larkin-Martin Frk

Justin Abdelkader-Frans Nielsen-Darren Helm

Luke Glendening-Riley Sheahan-Luke Witkowski
    We still have 4 days until the opener so the Sheahan rumored trade could still happen and whatever happens with AA is still lingering out there. I don't think this will be the lineup once the season starts.

On paper our forward core isn't terrible. If Larkin and Mantha take a step forward that is a respectable top 6 (No star power tho, yet hopefully). That is also an OK third line with AA in Helm's spot. A 4m dollar 4th line is not how you win in the NHL today though (if Helm was to join that line its a what almost 7m?).

Our real weakness is the backend and that hurts our forwards. Outside of Green and maybe Jensen no one can get them the puck and rush with them. I really think that holds back our forwards. Thats why I am actually upset Hicketts didn't make it, I would have waived XO over him at this point.

Howie and Petr both looked good as well. While I think we will still be a bottom team, if we could actually shed 2 of our 3 glaringly horrible contracts and get top end D help this could be a playoff team (yes I know that won't happen).

Would anyone trade AA and something for Trouba right now? I hope Winnipeg F's that situation up again this next summer.

I'm kinda stunned Frk is already penciled in as a 2nd liner, although maybe that's the best opportunity for him to have success , seems like he's come a long way in a short amount of time

David Booth has signed a one-year, two-way contract with the Detroit Red Wings.
    Booth took part in training camp with the Red Wings on a professional tryout. He will earn $700,000 at the NHL level or $250,000 in the AHL.
    via rotoworld

Sounds like he is up here currently, according to Ansar Khan.

I'd deal AA, as much as I like him, if we could get an impact defender back. I would tend to agree with Pidg that the forwards are solid, at least on paper. Plus we have a few in GR waiting to debut. We do not seem to have any D guys like that in the waiting.

I wouldn't say we don't have any, both Vili and Hronek have real good potential, and Hicketts has def put himself on the map after last season and this pre-season. But you're right that we don't have any HIGH END guys. I don't think a Hronek is too far off the potential as Chevy, just may take a little more time. Hronek, Vili and Hicketts all have top 4 potential like Chevy has top 6. Just no stars.

Rasmussen was a good start to the rebuild, I am all for losing out and grabbing Dahlin as that would be a real jump start to our success.

Also forgot where I read it, but supposedly AA is ready to get on a plane to Europe with his sights set on the Olympics.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast