Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 206
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    737
    ESPN's Josina Anderson reports the Giants are expected to move on from CB Eli Apple this offseason.

    Anderson's source said, "He will not be in an NYG uniform next year. Dude is done with NYG. Done." Apple has clashed with teammates and coaches all season and was just suspended for Sunday's regular season finale following a confrontation with CBs coach Tim Walton at Wednesday's practice. Apple's fate will be in the hands by whoever the Giants choose to replace Jerry Reese, but as of now, the 2016 first-rounder is a long shot to return next season.

    The suspension for conduct detrimental to the team will wipe out his otherwise guaranteed compensation for 2018 and 2019. Which means that the Giants can cut Apple and owe him nothing.

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by poppapuh86 View Post
    Crazy to offer a 6th or 7th rounder for Eli Apple? You'd be an idiot not to.
    There's hardly any risk in doing so man.

    You do realize this isn't a team on the brink of a Super Bowl run? We need as much talent as we can get. Minkah doesn't fill a major need but he's one of the top talents in the draft.

    I don't see how he gets past the Browns second 1st rounder anyways.

    No way would I give up 3 1st rounders for Jimmy G.

    I love the idea of trading Tanny though. But we know that isn't happening.

    I'd pay Landry a Doug Baldwin contract with maybe a little more guaranteed $ for a little lower AAV. Remember Parker isn't looking good and Stills is only signed for 2 more years after this year.
    I'd have to look into Apple's situation more because I have only seen him play a little bit in the NFL. I know he was a top college prospect when he was drafted, but he has just not been very good at all and I need to know why. I know it has been a pretty bad set of circumstances in NY this year, but we need players that can play in this league through thick and thin. That is character, not tucking your shirt in as Philbin thought. So was he upset at coaches? Why specifically? Was he frustrated at losing? If so why didn't he do all he could to prevent that each game regardless of the record. Character. Then maybe I'd throw that 7th or possibly a 6th based on what I found out. Of course I'd also have to know if he can play in the NFL even after looking at those issues. I know he has the size and skills you like, but what are the chances I think he can be helped? Another thing is that we seem to play better in man this year. Are we going to continue that because IIRC Apple is better suited t ozone (maybe i am wrong on that). Once I had my answers, if they were the answers I was looking for, sure, why not throw a 7th or maybe a 6th at them?

    I definitely agree with your other points although I'm not sure what Baldwin makes and don't have time to look it up right now. Safe to say I'd like to keep Landry but only at a price that gives us value. I'm not a fan of building my offense around a slot receiver. I know some people don't like to think he has limitations but I think he does.

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9,988
    Quote Originally Posted by jtownsfine5t View Post
    ESPN's Josina Anderson reports the Giants are expected to move on from CB Eli Apple this offseason.

    Anderson's source said, "He will not be in an NYG uniform next year. Dude is done with NYG. Done." Apple has clashed with teammates and coaches all season and was just suspended for Sunday's regular season finale following a confrontation with CBs coach Tim Walton at Wednesday's practice. Apple's fate will be in the hands by whoever the Giants choose to replace Jerry Reese, but as of now, the 2016 first-rounder is a long shot to return next season.

    The suspension for conduct detrimental to the team will wipe out his otherwise guaranteed compensation for 2018 and 2019. Which means that the Giants can cut Apple and owe him nothing.
    I was just about to post this too. It seems like they have an out now and could even cut him if they wanted.

    I wasn't a big fan of him coming out but he's got talent and he's better than Verner. Our top 3 guys are pretty much set so why not try and add a young talented player for next to nothing. If he's good, that's great, but if he sucks and has this attitude get rid of him and it cost you next to nothing. Same idea that we had with the Anthony trade.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14,380
    Anthony wasn't expensive and didn't have off field issues. the more you read into Apple the worse it gets

    Browns do need DB and I could easily see them picking Minkah but at the same time I could easily see them taking a QB and Key. hard to say what they will do until physicals, piss tests and holes in FA are filled. I don't question Minkah's talent. I question the need. if we don't go QB, and don't go pass rusher, and don't go OL, the next up would be Roquan. the pick has to be one of those 4

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,014
    Its a Belichekian move to try and either trade for or sign a former 1st rounder to low risk, high reward contract. A 6th or 7th rd pick for a former 1st round pick, even if he has 2nd or 3rd rd talent, is a no-brainer. We still have two 4th rd picks in our pocket, so that 6th or 7th rd pick is nothing.

    As for Garrapolo, I thought an exclusive franchise was three 1st rounders, but maybe I'm wrong? Is it two? Either way, I would at least weigh the pros and cons of possibly trading multiple 1st rounders for another for Garrapolo. If the pros outweigh the cons, even if it were three 1st rounders, then it makes sense to attempt it. Teams give up multiple picks to try and get their franchise QB in the drafts (i.e RGIII, Wentz, ect.) Would you want to get a semi-proven, young QB for multiple high picks, or an unproven, although severely cheaper, QB for multiple high picks (trading up to 1 or 2).

    I still believe Tannehill will be our QB next year, but you have to atleast explore the possibilities out there.

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    Anthony wasn't expensive and didn't have off field issues. the more you read into Apple the worse it gets

    Browns do need DB and I could easily see them picking Minkah but at the same time I could easily see them taking a QB and Key. hard to say what they will do until physicals, piss tests and holes in FA are filled. I don't question Minkah's talent. I question the need. if we don't go QB, and don't go pass rusher, and don't go OL, the next up would be Roquan. the pick has to be one of those 4
    If the Browns are smart, they are drafting Darnold #1 and then grabbing Barkley with their 2nd 1st rounder. Their defense has some talent, but their offense smells like dook.

    If Apple is truly just a locker room cancer, then yeah, you don't want him around. But until all of the details come out regarding what is happening (and not all of them will), then you have to look at potentially bringing him in, even if it costs a late round flyer.

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9,988
    Burke said today that the Dolphins need a LB/S Hybrid in order to match up against the TE's that are dominating the NFL. He wants someone that can run sideline to sideline but is still a tackle machine that can play close to the line.

    The only player he mentioned like that on the roster would be McDonald, but they couldn't use him in that role this year because of the suspension and the injuries to the FS position. This makes a lot of sense when you consider how much money they gave Nate Allen while still adding McDonald.

    So there's two things that this says, they either plan on converting McDonald to a LB and getting a full time FS, or they'll look to add a LB that is faster than Kiko. Burke said today that they didn't really have a better option than Kiko when asked about constantly asking Kiko to cover even though he was struggling.

    So I think Minkah and Smith are at the moment the lead targets in the first. There's obviously a lot that can happen but those are the two guys that I think fit into that need.

    Welcome Back Sweet Prince

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Burke said today that the Dolphins need a LB/S Hybrid in order to match up against the TE's that are dominating the NFL. He wants someone that can run sideline to sideline but is still a tackle machine that can play close to the line.

    The only player he mentioned like that on the roster would be McDonald, but they couldn't use him in that role this year because of the suspension and the injuries to the FS position. This makes a lot of sense when you consider how much money they gave Nate Allen while still adding McDonald.

    So there's two things that this says, they either plan on converting McDonald to a LB and getting a full time FS, or they'll look to add a LB that is faster than Kiko. Burke said today that they didn't really have a better option than Kiko when asked about constantly asking Kiko to cover even though he was struggling.

    So I think Minkah and Smith are at the moment the lead targets in the first. There's obviously a lot that can happen but those are the two guys that I think fit into that need.
    That's a very good point, we do need that player in the lineup to take on the TE's. This may be food for thought; I thought Tankersley might be expected to be that physical coverage guy as he grows, even though he stepped in at CB this year. Plus, we do have McDonald as you said, so we could also go another way and just take some help at FS in free agency or a little later in the draft. The reason is you should jump at the opportunity for a QB who could be your guy going forward when the opportunity presents itself and you are not absolutely settled at the most important position on the team. We should not be planning to pick top 10 every year as that is a plan to fail, but we may be there this year so it is something to take advantage of. I'm not sure that this front office is able to see any other way than Tannehill right now though, so we may very well be going after the hybrid player you describe, if not a pass rusher.
    Last edited by Dolphin North; 12-29-2017 at 09:48 AM.

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14,380
    I have seen ideas that would never happen like trading for Luck. Colts would never trade Luck
    http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolph...erback-in-2018

    and now the most recent trading for Eli Manning. I don't expect this to happen either but I am a huge Eli Manning fan. he would be my top non draft choice. many hate Eli but I consider him one of the best. has been my favorite QB other than Wilson to watch for awhile

    Minkah is better as a CB. you would have to to trade up for him and I don't see CB as a need like that.

    Smith isn't good in coverage but he is projected to be the best LB since Kuechly. I don't see what everybody sees in him yet but I'm no expert. he remains my #4 option because of the need for LBers but I'm basing that on what everybody else sees in him


    that comment Burke made describes Derwin James really well

    I drafted Tremaine Edmunds and Arden Key in my last mock both of which can cover TE and run sideline to sideline. I drafted Edmunds simply for that purpose though Todd McShay has Edmunds going late R1 currently in his latest mock. Skai Moore can also cover TEs which is why i'm sure some people in this forum have him in their mocks

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14,380
    I love Barkley but its not like this draft doesn't have RBs

    If i was the Browns I'm going Jackson and Key. Rosen would be my 2nd choice. he might not have the upside of Darnold or be clean but at least on the field he is a sure thing

    I more than likely would be able to get a 1st round pick for Emmanuel Ogbah after drafting Key and I would take it and get Guice. with all the draft picks they have they can maneuver quite easily around


    Jackson with Guice in the backfield on offense is a lot of firepower. Garrett and Key opposite each other on defense is a lot of headaches for opponents. this is how i start to build them
    Last edited by tunnicliffderek; 12-28-2017 at 11:35 PM.

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,155
    What Landon Collins said about Apple is a red flag to worry about.

    NFL players usually stand behind their teammates. That’s not happening with the New York Giants. Cornerback Eli Apple seems to be on the outs, and safety Landon Collins didn’t mince words about it during a radio interview on Tuesday.

    “There is only one corner who needs to grow up and we all know who that is,” Collins said on 98.7 FM in New York, via Jordan Ranaan of ESPN.com. “That would be the only person I would change out of our secondary group. Besides, the other two guys, [Dominique Rodgers-Cromarie] and [Janoris Jenkins], I love those two guys. They play hard. They love what they do. That first pick ... He’s a cancer.”

    He was benched again in Sunday’s loss to the Cardinals. Apple hasn’t started a game since Week 10, and he was inactive for four straight games from Week 11 until he got back on the field in Week 15.

    Apple got in hot water with the team for threatening to leave the facility after he was criticized during a film breakdown session, according to Paul Schwartz of the New York Post. There were also rumors that Apple was falling out of favor with the Giants because of his conduct and attitude during practices.

    He was finally fined by the Giants for tweeting during the team’s loss to the Cowboys in Week 14. Apple was inactive for the game, but league rules forbid tweeting from the sideline regardless of whether a player is active.

    The final straw for the Giants came before their Week 17 matchup against Washington, when he got into a heated argument with cornerbacks coach Tim Walton.
    Last edited by Plague; 12-29-2017 at 12:07 AM.

  12. #192
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9,988
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    I have seen ideas that would never happen like trading for Luck. Colts would never trade Luck
    http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolph...erback-in-2018

    and now the most recent trading for Eli Manning. I don't expect this to happen either but I am a huge Eli Manning fan. he would be my top non draft choice. many hate Eli but I consider him one of the best. has been my favorite QB other than Wilson to watch for awhile

    Minkah is better as a CB. you would have to to trade up for him and I don't see CB as a need like that.

    Smith isn't good in coverage but he is projected to be the best LB since Kuechly. I don't see what everybody sees in him yet but I'm no expert. he remains my #4 option because of the need for LBers but I'm basing that on what everybody else sees in him


    that comment Burke made describes Derwin James really well

    I drafted Tremaine Edmunds and Arden Key in my last mock both of which can cover TE and run sideline to sideline. I drafted Edmunds simply for that purpose though Todd McShay has Edmunds going late R1 currently in his latest mock. Skai Moore can also cover TEs which is why i'm sure some people in this forum have him in their mocks
    I like Minkah at FS. I honestly think he's similar to Ramsey a few years ago as a prospect, he'll be fine at either position but I personally think he'll be better at FS.

    I completely forgot about Derwin. I'd love him in the secondary.

    Welcome Back Sweet Prince

  13. #193
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    What Landon Collins said about Apple is a red flag to worry about.
    Wow. I think I know how I feel about Apple now.

  14. #194
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14,380
    I like Minkah more at CB just like Ramsey. we would have to trade up for Minkah that's for sure

    lot of the Apple stuff isn't just maturity. lot to do with his dad as well who he fired

  15. #195
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Posts
    27,585
    flasportsbuzz

    Dolphins claim Safety Trae Elston off waivers from Bills, where he played 13 games and started once this year. Michael Thomas on IR
    Thomas had been playing with a torn PCL for awhile.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •