Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudvayne91 View Post
    Donít get me wrong, 30 team parity doesnít pardon killers like dumb fín false starts that takeaway points. And we have high expectations every year. If we were 1-3, Iíd be pissed. Weíre not.

All Iím saying is look at the rest of the NFL. How we got to 3-1 might've not been pretty, but it wasnít against poor talent. Itís ok to have a bit of optimism
    Sure we can be optimistic, but I think what you're seeing is people afraid of being snake bitten by this team again. I mean it was just last year that we started out 4-0 before ending up 9-7 and missing the playoffs. And you could argue that last year's start was more impressive because there were 2 road games in the first four instead of just one.

Some of the things that led to our downfall last year have popped up again. Our inability to score in the red zone, our drive killing penalties, the fact that we turn the ball over more than turnovers that we force (-2 turnover differential right now).

Yes it's great that we're 3-1 right now, and I think any of us would have taken this record at the bye if you asked us before the season. But there is cause for concern. We aren't going to win many games scoring less than 20 points, and we've only scored 16 two weeks in a row now. We aren't going to win many games while turning the ball over more than our opponent... Sure it's easier to get away with it at home, but we only have 5 more home games for the rest of the season.

There's 3 ingredients that this team needs in order to be successful throughout the season. 1. Score more points. 2. Limit the turnovers offensively. And 3. Force more turnovers defensively.

This offense doesn't need to be a juggernaut, but it's output over the last 2 weeks isn't good enough. The defense has been spectacular in every area except generating turnovers. We're tied for 16th in the NFL in takeaways. But only 9 more teams have given the ball away more than us.

You're absolutely right that no team has looked unbeatable this year. Hell I think we could take the division after seeing KC against Washington. And I absolutely think that factors into my criticism of the team. Everything is right there for the taking. We see glimpses of Trevor playing like a damn good QB. We've seen glimpses of the offense clicking. We've seen the defense completely shut teams down for stretches. But that all needs to come together, and it hasn't yet. This team hasn't fired on all cylinders yet.... Think about that. If they can get everything working together, we could be the best team in the AFC. But will it all click or will this be another season where you see the potential, but it never comes together? That's the question that I'm waiting for the team to answer.

nykol is offline PSD's D.B.F. Nostradamus
    Gonna play devils advocate here a little but i dont think the biggest issue has been the offense thus far. I think it's been the No Fly Zone. 8 TD's allowed through 4 games. I've never seen Chris Harris struggle as much as he did in years trying to defend Jordan Mathews in Buffalo. And EJ Manuel was able to move the ball with relative ease last week coming off the bench. I think a large part of it has to do with Simmons getting acclimated into his starting role, and the lack of trust/communication with the rest of the secondary that would come with that. Hopefully the game ending INT is a coming out party for him, he's got the potential to be one of the league best safety's. But regardless, we're forcing team to be one dimensional and often with the lead and the defense has struggled in those spots. Maybe its one of those things like it was with Manning and the offense for 4 years where we were spoiled with how dominant a unit is, but the talent is there on D. On a positive note, right now the 3rd down % on D is 26% - which is phenomenal, but I'd like to see what the variance is from quarters 1-3 and 4th.

One thing i was surprised to see was that the offense was operating at 47% on 3rd down. 26% on D and 47% O is a winning formula if it can be sustained (likely not at that rate)

Quote Originally Posted by nykol View Post
    Gonna play devils advocate here a little but i dont think the biggest issue has been the offense thus far. I think it's been the No Fly Zone. 8 TD's allowed through 4 games. I've never seen Chris Harris struggle as much as he did in years trying to defend Jordan Mathews in Buffalo. And EJ Manuel was able to move the ball with relative ease last week coming off the bench. I think a large part of it has to do with Simmons getting acclimated into his starting role, and the lack of trust/communication with the rest of the secondary that would come with that. Hopefully the game ending INT is a coming out party for him, he's got the potential to be one of the league best safety's. But regardless, we're forcing team to be one dimensional and often with the lead and the defense has struggled in those spots. Maybe its one of those things like it was with Manning and the offense for 4 years where we were spoiled with how dominant a unit is, but the talent is there on D. On a positive note, right now the 3rd down % on D is 26% - which is phenomenal, but I'd like to see what the variance is from quarters 1-3 and 4th.

One thing i was surprised to see was that the offense was operating at 47% on 3rd down. 26% on D and 47% O is a winning formula if it can be sustained (likely not at that rate)
    how about the pass rush? they arent getting nearly as much pressure w/ 4 as in the past 3 years.

Coming Soon to a Backfield Near You!
    Von Miller and Bradley Chubb

#GoHawkeyes #FightForIowa #ANF

nykol is offline PSD's D.B.F. Nostradamus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cyanide 28 View Post
    how about the pass rush? they arent getting nearly as much pressure w/ 4 as in the past 3 years.
    Thats playing a factor, sure.. but we have 2 of the top 5 corners in the league, the leagues best #3 and a very competent group of safety's, Tyrod Taylor and EJ Manuel should not be able to move the ball with ease during crunch time.

Here you go Broncos fans you should get a good laugh out of this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKa7...clIwnKgslD_PNF

Raiders lost again. **** the Raiders!

Not looking good for Texans to win unless Watson goes off. Mercilus and watt both out

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Haha reading the comments in the Raiders forum has made my night. They're PISSED.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Haha reading the comments in the Raiders forum has made my night. They're PISSED.
    Heading over and see they have a 6 page draft talk thread already -.- lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cyanide 28 View Post
    Heading over and see they have a 6 page draft talk thread already -.- lol
    Well they have a long history of the draft being more important then the season, so they're kinda conditioned to have high interest in the draft at this point of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Well they have a long history of the draft being more important then the season, so they're kinda conditioned to have high interest in the draft at this point of the year.
    #Tru

God, KC perfected the most ideal gadget offense. Probably the only piece they are missing is a true #1 WR....but they don't even need that. Can you imagine Antonio Brown on that squad? I don't think anyone would be able to stop them.

We're going to need our offense to grow up really quick if we want to beat them at Arrowhead. And we're going to need our defense to bring pressure if we want to bust their rhythm.

We match up well against their running game (as long as we're healthy and Shaq is our other OLB)...we can keep Hill under wraps...it's always kelce that's the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by nykol View Post
    Thats playing a factor, sure.. but we have 2 of the top 5 corners in the league, the leagues best #3 and a very competent group of safety's, Tyrod Taylor and EJ Manuel should not be able to move the ball with ease during crunch time.
    No pressure nyk. That's simply it. It's painful to see Von struggle out there...he's doing everything he possibly can (as evidenced with these constant off-sides he's picking up) to get there but they are triple teaming him...I want to say 40% of the time.

There was a nice little stat PFF put out with how many times players have been "chipped"...and Von is like 2nd this year. But first dating back to either last year by a large margin.

And Shaq is playing MORE snaps than Von. So expecting him to bring an equal or greater pass rush is just wishful thinking.

We're playing zone more because they want to get better at it down the road....the issue is zone is where coverage **** ups happen the most and that is where we have been struggling the most in years.

It all traces back to pressure though. When you rely on coverage to bring the pressure (Joseph has specifically stated this)...things like these occur.

We need Shane back, Kerr to produce at 3 tech, and D.Walker to switch to 3 tech if we want to make sure that no QB of that caliber will ever be able to replicate that again.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    God, KC perfected the most ideal gadget offense. Probably the only piece they are missing is a true #1 WR....but they don't even need that. Can you imagine Antonio Brown on that squad? I don't think anyone would be able to stop them.

We're going to need our offense to grow up really quick if we want to beat them at Arrowhead. And we're going to need our defense to bring pressure if we want to bust their rhythm.

We match up well against their running game (as long as we're healthy and Shaq is our other OLB)...we can keep Hill under wraps...it's always kelce that's the issue.
    Offense is going to have to come forward a bit to compete with the Chiefs. We will see how we are coming out of the bye. KC also just doesn't turn the ball over.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819