Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which team would win in a 7 game series?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Team MBT

9 75.00%
  • Team Nick

1 8.33%
  • GMs Vote Here

2 16.67%

NBA No MVP All-Time Redraft First Round! Team MBT vs. Team Nick

Members of the PSD Community came together and participated in an All-Time NBA Redraft. They drafted, traded and signed all time players to create the best team possible. This is the 1st Round of the playoffs.

Special stipulations for this game included: No NBA or ABA MVP winners eligible. Each team had to start (and play 24 minutes) 2 players who did not play a single game after 1990. Additionally, each player is judged on the a single season/the best season of their career, as selected by the GM.

Please look at the teams and vote for which team you think would win in a 7 game series.

Team MBT has home court advantage for the series:

Team MBT:

PG: Tony Parker (36) / Mike Conley (12)
    SG: Earl Monroe (30) / Paul Westphal (18)
    SF: Paul Pierce (38) / Joe Johnson (10)
    PF: Bill Laimbeer (24) / Clifford Robinson (24) / Paul Millsap
    C: Nate Thurmond (36) / Bill Laimbeer (12)

vs.

Team Nick:

PG: Micheal Ray Richardson / Gilbert Arenas
    SG: Tracy McGrady / Courtney Lee
    SF: Bob Dandridge / Andre Iguodala
    PF: Larry Nance Sr / Kevin Love
    C: Yao Ming / Brad Daugherty

Close match-up again for me

I got MBT easily here, but will wait for some debate out of respect.

I'm curious who is going to guard TMac. Also feel like Laimbeer is going to get roasted when we go smaller ball and he has to guard either iggy or love.

Quote Originally Posted by xnick5757 View Post
    I'm curious who is going to guard TMac. Also feel like Laimbeer is going to get roasted when we go smaller ball and he has to guard either iggy or love.
    Probably Pierce. Dude was a pretty damn solid perimeter defender, and I don't mind putting Monroe on a 6'6" wing as he had experience switching defenders when he played next to Frazier. Clyde typically took the easier guard so he could roam the passing lanes, so Monroe typically had the tougher assignment.

Also, since when is Kevin Love considered "going small?" The dude is a 6'10" PF. That's hardly small in this game. Laimbeer can handle him on the interior, or I can counter with Robinson, who was an excellent defender and can force Love (a pretty damn poor defender) to guard him on the perimeter, where he shot 37 percent beyond the arc. If you put Iggy on the floor as a 4 (a strange move, IMO), I suppose I'd probably stick with my big men until I had to make the switch. I'd love to see him try to stick with a 6'10" big man and would enjoy watching you get hammered on the glass. But if Iggy were to suddenly go off (not exactly a huge concern), I can counter with Joe Johnson or maybe throw out Millsap, both pretty damn solid defenders who could give me a different look depending on the circumstance and what I need on the floor.

I don't have a ton of time to do a full write-up right now, but here are a few bullet points, and hopefully this can build some conversation.

Why my team will win:
    1. Championship experience

Across the board, my roster is stacked with guys who've been to the promised land and thrived. I've got five guys who won rings as either stars or elite role players and many of my other pieces (Thurmond, Robinson, Conley) have experience with deep postseason runs and playing in big games. Nick has a well-built squad, but most of these guys were playoff infants. T-Mac and Yao never got past the second round in their primes, and Richardson played in 18 total playoff games in his career.

2. Unselfish team-first basketball

I built my roster around guys who were willing to sacrifice for the betterment of their teams. In addition to being the second best defensive center of the 60s and 70s, Thurmond was always considered an excellent screen setter. Laimbeer is one of the all-time great glue guys, providing the hustle, grit and physicality of those Bad Boy Pistons teams of the 80s. And Monroe and Pierce both sacrificed statistics in their prime to play for championship basketball teams. In addition to screen setters and glue guys, my roster is stacked with playmakers and shot creators. More than half my roster was capable of five dimes a game, and even Thurmond average four assists a night during his peak.

3. Roster flexibility

My squad is also capable of throwing a lot of different looks at Nick. If he goes small, I can go smaller. I can run out lineups with Millsap and Robinson in the front court that could feasibly give me 3-point shooters at all five positions. Imagine Yao trying to guard Robinson at the 3-point line and what that would do to their defense. I also targeted quality defenders at multiple positions. If Parker is struggling with Richardson, I can run out Conley. Joe Johnson and Paul Pierce give me too extremely versatile guys offensively and defensively to challenge their wings. And my defensive front court will be very tough for Nick's squad as Thurmond, Laimbeer and Robinson were all quality defenders who could feasibly defend either front court spot in a pinch if needed.

4. Interior defense

Yao Ming was a hell of an offensive center. So was a guy named Wilt Chamberlain, who Nate Thurmond regularly abused and got the better of during their careers. Heads up, Nate Thurmond outscored Wilt 16.6 points per game to Wilt's 15.7 points in 47 career games. In the playoffs, it's even worse, with Wilt scoring only 12.5 a night compared to Nate's 15.5. We're talking about one of the greatest offensive forces in the history of the league who averaged 30.1 points per game in his entire career, and Thurmond held him to half of his offensive output. Why should Yao fair any better? And if Nick decides to play more high pick and roll with Yao to get him more looks on the perimeter and stretch the defense, I'm OK with that. I can keep Thurmond on him or let Laimbeer put a body on him on the perimeter and keep Thurmond (also an excellent shot blocker) in the paint to contest layups. Nick doesn't have an excellent perimeter shooting team, so he's going to be reliant on penetration and scoring around the rim. But that squad will get no easy looks in the paint on this defense.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 09-26-2017 at 12:29 PM.

This is an interesting matchup, I think both sides have a matchup that works in their favor.

MBT made the smart move to put Pierce on McGrady as opposed to Earl, however Paul Pierce is also his primary scoring option. Paul will have his work cut out for him carrying the offense and guarding a player of McGrady's caliber all game. That puts a bigger scoring load on Monroe and Parker, are those good enough secondary scoring options to win?

Conversely, MBT has Thurmond, who is one of the few older bigs in this game you could probably expect to guard Yao adequately considering his experience guarding Wilt. That negates a big advantage of Nick's.

This is a very close matchup.

look at that paint defense on MBT's team...

I have them in 6

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    MBT made the smart move to put Pierce on McGrady as opposed to Earl, however Paul Pierce is also his primary scoring option. Paul will have his work cut out for him carrying the offense and guarding a player of McGrady's caliber all game. That puts a bigger scoring load on Monroe and Parker, are those good enough secondary scoring options to win?
    Parker and Monroe were good enough secondary options to win titles in San Antonio and New York. Why should that be any different in this game? And it's not like they've got a couple of offensive stiffs in the front court or a bench of nobodies. There isn't a guy on my roster who isn't capable of putting up an efficient 20-25 on a given night or averaging 18-20 when given starter's minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Parker and Monroe were good enough secondary options to win titles in San Antonio and New York. Why should that be any different in this game? And it's not like they've got a couple of offensive stiffs in the front court or a bench of nobodies. There isn't a guy on my roster who isn't capable of putting up an efficient 20-25 on a given night or averaging 18-20 when given starter's minutes.
    But that is true of every team. There's not a single team in this that isn't absolutely littered with 20 PPG scorers, that's the nature of an all-time game.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    But that is true of every team. There's not a single team in this that isn't absolutely littered with 20 PPG scorers, that's the nature of an all-time game.
    How many rosters have five key contributors on championship teams? Or multiple guys who won Finals MVPs? To me, when you ask the question of "how do we know that Player X can stand up to the competition?"—the first thing I look at is how they did on the biggest stages. My guys did OK.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    How many rosters have five key contributors on championship teams? Or multiple guys who won Finals MVPs? To me, when you ask the question of "how do we know that Player X can stand up to the competition?"—the first thing I look at is how they did on the biggest stages. My guys did OK.
    True, I'm not suggesting they won't play well, they've proven they can perform their role at a high level on the biggest of stages. My point was that their role wasn't necessarily to be a scorer in those stages.

Earl Monroe was the 4th leading scorer in the Finals at 16.0 PPG in 1973.
    Bill Laimbeer averaged 8.0 PPG and 13.2 PPG in the 89/90 Finals.
    Nate Thurmond averaged 11 PPG and 14 PPG in the 64 and 67 Finals.

Tony Parker averaged 14 and 13.9 PPG the first 2 finals wins and then averaged 22.5 PPG in 07 to win Finals MVP and 18.0 PPG in 2011. So you could legitimately argue Parker and say that he can handle the 2nd scoring option load next to Paul Pierce.

But that's based on 2/4 Finals performances and the fact he has averaged over 20 PPG in his career twice (though I admit you're helped here by the 1 year peak rule).

MBT has a huge advantage at 3 out of 5 positions. The center position would be fun to watch. MBT just too dominant here imo. Its why i voted them 1st on my rankings.

I dont see how Thurmond dominates Yao.

Give me MBT by a hair, for other reasons not including the center position

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    I dont see how Thurmond dominates Yao.

Give me MBT by a hair, for other reasons not including the center position
    1-3-4 MBT

2 Nick

5 is a wash imo. That's why i think the center position would be fun, both Cs would go at it.