Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: If the players disrespect the American flag?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • If only a couple players kneel I'll still support the team.

    0 0%
  • If any players kneels I'm done.

    0 0%
  • I don't care if they disrespect the flag.

    4 100.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 68
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,391

    Take a knee and I'm done

    I'm done with the NFL. I can't stomach pro sport players disrespecting the flag and our service men and women who have fought and died for it. Now I'll admit I can live without football but basketball would be harder. But if this knee bending disrespect leaches over to basketball and the Bulls I'm probably done with them too. I'm wondering what others think.
    Last edited by Starkonian; 09-25-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, and others make it happen.” – Michael Jordan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,791
    I don't like basketball enough to be insulted by the players and continue to watch.
    If they want to make a statement, go back to your neighborhoods, donate your money.
    Work with troubled youth - work with the police department.
    Kneeling for the flag, the anthem that gives you everything you have is stupid and insulting, especially to those of us who served and still serve our country.

    As far as the NFL, I'm ok with what the Bears did on Sunday, locking arms. In fact, if I'm the NFL commissioner that's what I'd recommend. Nothing wrong with solidarity, but if they want to take a knee, then I'll take one on them too. Here is the difference, I don't need professional sports to earn a living, they just provide entertainment.
    These athletes, need us, the fans to pay their salaries. Somebody better figure it out quick.
    Last edited by Muttman73; 09-25-2017 at 04:26 PM.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

    1981 Sting

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Depaul
    Posts
    1,401
    Your poll is obnoxiously one sided to your side of the argument.

    If I were an athlete, I wouldn't kneel, I would find another way to protest. That doesn't mean what they are is some horrible thing where you shouldn't even watch sports. They are kneeling because they want our country and president to live up to the ideals our country/flag/anthem stand for, which basically the entire world collectively doesn't believe we are right now.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Posts
    21,637
    Im just tired of politics. And unfortunatly now it seems to be flooding into sports. One of the few places you can go to take your mind off of it. Trump is an *******. Talks way too much. Has no idea how to be professional. Needs to get off twitter. Needs to stop insulting people. But he isn't as bad as some want to make hin out to be. Problem is the Left see him as hitler and anything he does is wrong and the right see him as perfect and agree with everything. Both sides are soo biased. The country is devided as hell meanwhile. We have a Korean dictator threatening to go to nuclear war with the USA.

    This all said. I don't agree with the kneeling. But. I am not gonna let some players being upset affect something i love. I am not going to let a predident being upset at them pursued me not to watch. To me. Sports is about sports. This political division era has chamged that as it seems like politics is in everything now. Boy do i wish it could go back to the way it was.

    To me. This whole debate is silly. Sports and politics are two different entities and if you cant seperate them thats on you. I can love a player on the court and disagree with his political stance. To me. This argument is about as silly as people who dont to to chickfilla cause they dont agree with gay marriage. I go to a chicken place cause there chicken is good. Nobody walks in and says lets go to get food. What places hate gays. Lol

    To me. At what point do you not watch a team because their owners likes/dislikes trump. What's the diference if they disrespect the flag at a game. Or chose to do it outside by burning it. These people are goimg to do it one way or another. It only bothers you cause you let it.

    Thats all i will say. Im really done with plotical arguments. I just want to watch sports in peace. I want to go a week without hearing trumps name. I want a nation that despite having different opinions can coexist together. Ungortunatly I see this country getting closer and closer to a total rift.

    Fwiw. Would anyone here go back and not watch the old bulls during the Dennis Rodman era if you knew he would defend a country which threatens the USA in the future.
    Last edited by Kyben36; 09-25-2017 at 04:10 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    Your poll is obnoxiously one sided to your side of the argument.
    The United States flag code is clear on protocol for the National Anthem.

    36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem (a)Designation.—
    The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
    (b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
    (1) when the flag is displayed—
    (A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
    (B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
    (C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
    (2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.


    There is no point in debating it. Bending a knee is a direct and obvious show of disrespect to the American flag. There is no caveat for "extenuating Circumstances". I have no interest in melding politics with pro sports however, unfortunately, the players/teams are shoving this down my/our throats. I specifically made no mention or reference to any political parties or ideologies. The purpose of posting this thread is I'm interested to know how many around here are wiling to look the other way and ignore it or, not.
    “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, and others make it happen.” – Michael Jordan

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Valley stream, NY
    Posts
    4,757

    Take a knee and I'm done

    I loved the red zone guys coverage on it. He goes there are plenty of great news outlets talking about this including NFL network and other actual News outlets.. Here on red zone, we're gonna keep it on football...

    Frankly I don't give a ****. It's a personal choice. I think making people behave a certain way in front of any symbol is a slippery slope to cult city. That orange clown manages to spoil most other days, not Sunday. He can get bent.
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,612
    I think caring this much about a few players protesting by not standing for the pledge is gay.
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    You're way more likeable

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Posts
    21,637
    [QUOTE=Starkonian;31870381]
    Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    Your poll is obnoxiously one sided to your side of the argument./QUOTE]

    The United States flag code is clear on protocol for the National Anthem.

    36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem (a)Designation.—
    The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
    (b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
    (1) when the flag is displayed—
    (A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
    (B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
    (C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
    (2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.


    There is no point in debating it. Bending a knee is a direct and obvious show of disrespect to the American flag. There is no caveat for "extenuating Circumstances". I have no interest in melding politics with pro sports however, unfortunately, the players/teams are shoving this down my/our throats. I specifically made no mention or reference to any political parties or ideologies. The purpose of posting this thread is I'm interested to know how many around here are wiling to look the other way and ignore it or, not.
    I know im going to regret this. cause i really hate politics at this point...... BUT....

    http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1057/2000Style.pdf

    13. Word usage

    13.1 Shall, should, may, and can

    The word shall is used to indicate mandatory requirements strictly to be followed in order to conform to the standard and from which no deviation is permitted (shall equals is required to). The use of the word must is deprecated and shall not be used when stating mandatory requirements; must is used only to describe unavoidable situations. The use of the word will is deprecated and shall not be used when stating mandatory requirements; will is only used in statements of fact.

    The word should is used to indicate that among several possibilities one is recommended as particularly suitable, without mentioning or excluding others; or that a certain course of action is preferred but not necessarily required; or that (in the negative form) a certain course of action is deprecated but not prohibited (should equals is recommended that).

    The word may is used to indicate a course of action permissible within the limits of the standard (may equals
    is permitted).

    The word can is used for statements of possibility and capability, whether material, physical, or causal (can
    equals is able to).
    Last edited by Kyben36; 09-25-2017 at 07:18 PM.


    ‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

    -Rem Koolhaas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,391
    @Kyben- The US flag code is in fact a federal law but penalties for breaking it are not enforced. It was adopted, revised and endorsed by multiple congressional bodies dating back to 1923. It's considered an etiquette and moral code for the American citizen. Standing or kneeling really is not a political issue. I have no idea of IEEE standards were considered when writing and revising the text. Considering the military follows the same text, with disciplinary measures if they are not adhered to, I doubt it.
    “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, and others make it happen.” – Michael Jordan

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    15,455
    Yeah...this thread is going to be closed soon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    #FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Posts
    21,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian View Post
    @Kyben- The US flag code is in fact a federal law but penalties for breaking it are not enforced. It was adopted, revised and endorsed by multiple congressional bodies dating back to 1923. It's considered an etiquette and moral code for the American citizen. Standing or kneeling really is not a political issue. I have no idea of IEEE standards were considered when writing and revising the text. Considering the military follows the same text, with disciplinary measures if they are not adhered to, I doubt it.


    The Military is a private entitity and has the right to interpit and thusley punish for not adheering to it as they see fit

    The NBA is in turn its own a private entitity and has the right to interpit and thusley punish for not adheering to it as they see fit

    Seeing as the law does not state you must. Rather that you should. As long as the nfl and NBA make that same statement. That player should but are not forced. (Which as far as im concerned is the case ) they have done nothing not to follow the law.

    After that point. Its on the individual player to feel they should. Under the same rule or law the government uses. And obviously. Some have obviously come to the conclusion not to for whatever reasons.

    As far as im concerned. After exposing what the word should means. Your argument is that the a private entitiy in the NBA or NFL should run under the same rules and standards as the military. Is that the case.

    At this point. You want a players to be fired or court marshalled because they are not doing something they are not forced to do.

    I mean. You can do whatever you want. Boycott. Protest If you disagree. But it sounds like you want to get mad at the NFL or NBA. Who almost verbatim use the flag code. And now your trying to punish them for the individual choice of players to not stand. Your fair game to do that. To me though. It should be the players not the nba or nfl who receive your feelings
    Last edited by Kyben36; 09-25-2017 at 08:56 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    34,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian View Post
    The United States flag code is clear on protocol for the National Anthem.

    36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem (a)Designation.—
    The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
    (b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
    (1) when the flag is displayed—
    (A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
    (B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
    (C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
    (2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.


    There is no point in debating it. Bending a knee is a direct and obvious show of disrespect to the American flag. There is no caveat for "extenuating Circumstances". I have no interest in melding politics with pro sports however, unfortunately, the players/teams are shoving this down my/our throats. I specifically made no mention or reference to any political parties or ideologies. The purpose of posting this thread is I'm interested to know how many around here are wiling to look the other way and ignore it or, not.
    I know I'm not from around here, but I happened to stumble on here.

    §175. Position and manner of display
    (b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.
    I've seen numerous bumper stickers.

    §176. Respect for flag
    (c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
    (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
    (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
    (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
    http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#173

    There's tons of apparel blazoned with the American flag. We see a widespread of advertisements, especially during election time, that have the flag on it. No one is outraged over that. Those same people should be upset over what I just said as much as those who are kneeling. But we don't see that same outrage. Why?

    Also, this is not about disrespecting our flag. I have seen military people saying they support the actions of those who are kneeling because they fought for that right.

    Those who are kneeling have said it's not a protest against the flag or our anthem. It's to bring awareness to the injustices around our country. They are peacefully expressing their right and it's still "offensive" to some people. How should they go about their protest then?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Posts
    21,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I know I'm not from around here, but I happened to stumble on here.

    §175. Position and manner of display


    I've seen numerous bumper stickers.

    §176. Respect for flag


    http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#173

    There's tons of apparel blazoned with the American flag. We a widespread of advertisements, especially during election time, that have the flag on it. No one is outraged over that. Those same people should be upset over what I just said as much as those who are kneeling. But we don't see that same outrage. Why?

    Also, this is not about disrespecting our flag. I have seen military people saying they support the actions of those who are kneeling because they fought for that right.

    Those who are kneeling have said it's not a protest against the flag or our anthem. It's to bring awareness to the injustices around our country. They are peacefully expressing their right and it's still "offensive" to some people. How should they go about their protest then?
    I personally i find offensive but i also understand their right to do so. I think they should stand in honor. But also realize you can't force them. Personally. I wish they would find another way to do it.

    But. If you notice. Every single one again uses the word should. (Meaning recommended. ) so i supose it depends on what you chose to follow (like the list you just gave. ) and which you chose to offend you

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    The Military is a private entitity and has the right to interpit and thusley punish for not adheering to it as they see fit.
    Absolutely and unequivocally false.

    The United States military is not a private entity, as it is part of the Department of Defense -- an executive branch department of the federal government of the United States.

    The military doesn't "privately interpret" matters. The military adheres to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which is federal law enacted by the Congress of the United States.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Posts
    21,637
    Quote Originally Posted by pentel1980 View Post
    Absolutely and unequivocally false.

    The United States military is not a private entity, as it is part of the Department of Defense -- an executive branch department of the federal government of the United States.

    The military doesn't "privately interpret" matters. The military adheres to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which is federal law enacted by the Congress of the United States.
    Not what i meant. (Although i realize now i worded it wrong. Seperate from the nfl was probably the word i was going for but obviously missworded ) all i ment by it was the military has its own way of doing things. If they chose to punish active military member for not soluting or respecting the flag. That's on them on their own. The point was more so that there is nothing there stating you have to. Even for military this code states that they should. Not must. Now. If you don't in the military i know you can be punished for it. But that is not by this code but by them on their own adding to the What i would call bare guidelines that this flag code is. Its their own system. And does not role over onto private companies that we have to adheer to their actions.

    The fact that the nfl literally follows this wording means that the nfl itself is doing exactly what our own government has said we should do via this code. Can they raise that standard. (By saying you must stand ) sure they could. Are they forced to because trump and some republicans think they should. Well. Even if there was an enforceable penalty the nfl words it per their document.

    Only reason i forsee there being a reason to change it is that either trump tries to change it to must and gives some sort of penelty. (Which would be fringe dictator esk) or the fans have enough pull to make the nfl do it through potential losses.

    Either way while i disagree with the protest. I'm not sided enough not to be able to let my emotions prevent me from reading and understanding that they do and dont have to do it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •