Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 58 of 106 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
    Say the Knicks passed us, would they have interest in a PG? I know they just took Ntilkina, but they might jump for Sexton if he's there.

Our best case scenario if we are at 8-9 is teams draft PG's and Bigs and let Mikal fall

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    All of them? No.

He's not really comparable to Steph. Those comps were pretty weak from the beginning and mostly had to do with size and shooting. He's way more careless with the ball, not the same level of shooter, and a decent chunk of his scoring comes from the FT line.

One if the easiest comps ever. You would have to compare Curry's freshman season and usage to Trae to get an accurate comparison, tho, unless you want to comp 18 yr old Trae to 20 year old Steph. Saying that he's not the same level of shooter is pretty weak too. Curry may end up the best shooter in NBA history.

He's not an elite level, or even great shooter though. He's a volume shooter that shot 42% from the field and 36% from 3. What's saved his efficiency is his FT attempts, which seem very unlikely to translate to the next level at his size, and if it does, he's probably going to get injured regularly.

He definitely looks like an elite shooter. Surpised we're using FG% without counting shot difficulty, he takes and makes a LOT of ridiculous shots. And Steph was injured regularly too.

You also can't just ignore his struggles in conference play. That was almost 60% of his games this season and he was objectively bad...39% FG, 32% 3pt, 6.1 TOV, his team limped to the finish line and frankly, was lucky to even make the NCAA tournament.

Not understanding why conference makes a difference. Entire team defenses devoted to stopping him, and it's a team game anyway.

Not almost 5.2 per game high.

For reference. The last 10 years worth of leaders, none of them had a higher turnover average than 3.4, but most of them were under 3. So he's basically 2 turnovers higher than most guys that lead the country in assists. He likely had a higher usage than most of them, but his turnovers are a big, big problem.

Turnovers are a problem, but that's the thing most likely to improve with experience, maturity, better coaching, and high level teammates. Most good teams aren't led by freshman PG's with ridiculous usage either.

You could easily make the case that the odds are firmly stacked against him even sniffing the highest ceiling though (and I personally don't think his ceiling is any higher than a guy like Sexton, who's waaaaaay safer, anyway). He essentially has to be an elite shooter for that to be the case, otherwise his carelessness with the ball, and physical limitations could make him unplayable.

Not understanding why anyone who's seen him in one of his good games don't see this guy is special. And his physical limitations are sooooo overstated, he's 6'2, not 5'9.

You can be a safe prospect and still have a high ceiling though. I haven't watched enough of Carter to comment, but he seems like the only one that really fits that definition. Bridges and Sexton definitely have plenty of upside along with having relatively high floors. I'll take that all day over Trae Young.
    I'm sure you feel comfortable in limiting Trae's potential, although I don't know why, all I can say, is the eye test shows he's a baller, and while he may never reach Curry's level, I believe he could be a reasonable facsimile, Kobe was Jordan-Lite, and I'd take that all day lol

To each his own though, I just don't see how he's any more risky than the other players, hell a guy coming off back surgery may go #2, and we'd be screaming for joy is we got him.
    Last edited by infinity2152; 03-12-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity2152 View Post
    One if the easiest comps ever.
    It's really not though. It's based on two things. Size and shooting. One of them is an historically great shooter and the other one is just good. Besides that, how are their games that similar?

You would have to compare Curry's freshman season and usage to Trae to get an accurate comparison
    I've done that already. But again, they're not fair comps because their college games were pretty different. Steph wasn't really a PG at Davidson. He was their go-to scorer and primary ballhandler, but not your traditional PG.

Saying that he's not the same level of shooter is pretty weak too.
    You're missing the point then.

He's going to have to be an elite shooter to be successful in the NBA. It's why someone like Steph is so good.

He definitely looks like an elite shooter.
    Based on what, the eye test?

He takes a ton of horrendous shots and shot 36% from 3, which again, is okay, but it's not great. He also shot 32% from 3 (which is bad) in conference, which makes up the bulk up his schedule.

Surpised we're using FG% without counting shot difficulty, he takes and makes a LOT of ridiculous shots.
    It's not as if his shot difficulty is suddenly going to get easier in the pros. A lot of that is on him too, as his shot selection is really bad at times.

Not understanding why conference makes a difference.
    Conference play made up 60% of his games and for the most part was better competition.

Entire team defenses devoted to stopping him, and it's a team game anyway.
    From what I saw, teams regularly trapped him at halfcourt and he struggled with the length and athleticism to get it past them...it's one of the reasons he started turning the ball over even more. He didn't adjust to it all season either.

Turnovers are a problem, but that's the thing most likely to improve with experience, maturity, better coaching, and high level teammates.
    They could, but it could always be something that he struggles with.

Most good teams aren't led by freshman PG's with ridiculous usage either.
    Oklahoma's not a good team and he's been one the reasons for that down the stretch. Again, very lucky to sneak into the NCAA tournament.

Not understanding why anyone who's seen him in one of his good games don't see this guy is special.
    I've actually watched a ton of him this year...OU's strangely been on ESPN a lot. Mostly came away unimpressed. Like I've already said...very careless with the ball, doesn't adjust to what teams are throwing at him, takes some really questionable shots, limited athlete, not a good enough shooter to overcome it.

And his physical limitations are sooooo overstated, he's 6'2, not 5'9.
    Physical limitations aren't just about height (though I could see him being shorter than his listed 6'2). He has a thin frame, short arms, and isn't an explosive athlete. That's more what I'm referring to.

the eye test shows he's a baller
    You should dig a little deeper then. Your eyes can lie to you. There's plenty of information/data besides just highlights out there to show why people are concerned about his future in the NBA.

I just don't see how he's any more risky than the other players
    Well, you're comparing him to Steph Curry, so you're already going into this with wildly unrealistic expectations. Players like that are pretty rare.

There's plenty of risk with him. I think I covered most of the reasons why, and it's not like I'm the only person that thinks this. A lot of scouts have been souring on him since he's struggled the way he has in conference play.

Still a probable top 10 pick. For a guy that wasn't even on the radar to start the season, don't think they've soured all that much.

espn mock has porter falling to 7th, some scouts are saying hes not a team player, whatever. i dont know why these people talk to the press unless you're trying to make him fall to you later in the lotto. like i said its not certain he even comes out this year, this gets back to him which it likely has and might motivate him to stay another year.

https://twitter.com/DXContent/status...938252288?s=19

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by infinity2152 View Post
    I'm sure you feel comfortable in limiting Trae's potential, although I don't know why, all I can say, is the eye test shows he's a baller, and while he may never reach Curry's level, I believe he could be a reasonable facsimile, Kobe was Jordan-Lite, and I'd take that all day lol

To each his own though, I just don't see how he's any more risky than the other players, hell a guy coming off back surgery may go #2, and we'd be screaming for joy is we got him.
    The Eye test says he struggled once everyone focused on him, he takes terrible shots, he is careless with the ball, and he can't defend.

The common sense test says you don't draft a 6th man with a top 10 pick, with 2 big needs at SF and C, and a PG that is on the upswing in Dunn.

If we draft Trae Young, it will be as big a mistake as Marquis Teague and Tyrus Thomas. Let the Cavs, Magic, or Knicks make the mistake that we must avoid at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    The Eye test says he struggled once everyone focused on him, he takes terrible shots, he is careless with the ball, and he can't defend.

The common sense test says you don't draft a 6th man with a top 10 pick, with 2 big needs at SF and C, and a PG that is on the upswing in Dunn.

If we draft Trae Young, it will be as big a mistake as Marquis Teague and Tyrus Thomas. Let the Cavs, Magic, or Knicks make the mistake that we must avoid at all costs.
    Ya I’d rather take Knox who’s probably a better NBA prospect anyways.

more porter news/rumors. this time third hand but shouldnt be dismissed because hes born and raised in the como area so people do know they family. the decision to leave is 100% his on not anyone elses, there was talk that when he didnt play the last two regular season games that it was a family call but this is all him. now the rumor is there is strong talk of him coming back since his sister will be a senior on the ladies team next year and this would keep the close family close together instead of the parents jetting across the country to watch high school, college, and nba game. yes there are more porters on the way after MPJ. still think he comes out but the talk about him not wanting to be just another lotto pick has a lot of smoke behind it right now.

#6 offers a 25.2% chance of a Top 3 and a 7.5% at the #1 pick.

#7 offers a 15.0% chance of a Top 3 and a 4.3% chance at the #1 pick.

Currently, the Bulls are at #8, at 9.9% and 2.8% respectively.

With the Knicks free-for-all, if (and when) the Bulls drop to #9, then odds are down to 6.1% and 1.7%.

I'd love for the Bulls to settle into #6 or #7. Both give great options if that is where the draft odds leave them, but also give the best odds w/in the lottery system. This would represent the best plausible scenario, as there is no way the Bulls are going to "compete" (for draft position) w/the **** show that is the Bottom 5.
    Wenn Sie dies lesen durch elektronische Übersetzung, Sie sind jetzt noch lahm als Sie waren als Sie zum ersten Mal las und verstand es nicht.

Have never been so ready for a season to be over in my life. Knicks may leapfrog into top 5, may not win another game this year, and the only team remaining that has any reason to win is Nets, who we need to lose both games against. Our only consolation is some of these crap teams play each other, so someone HAS to win, lol. But, it's still a lottery, this would be a great year to get that D-Rose type draft luck.

The Nets and Mavs are realistic possibilities for us to fall behind.

We also play in NY soon. That is an important game to lose.

Big game tomorrow with the Pelicans at Spurs. We need Pop to get his team focused.

Page 58 of 106 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast