Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

2017-2018 Around the NBA Thread

Use this thread for general NBA fan discussion about other teams, trades, free agents, etc. If you wanna talk NBA, but not Sixers, it goes here.

thoughts on the Melo to OKC move? If he is willing to play the stretch 4 and move the ball they could be a scary team. Probably gonna nee some bench help though. On the same note i picked OKC as my Tier A+ game for this season on the plan i split.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDish87 View Post
    thoughts on the Melo to OKC move? If he is willing to play the stretch 4 and move the ball they could be a scary team. Probably gonna nee some bench help though. On the same note i picked OKC as my Tier A+ game for this season on the plan i split.
    I love it. Melo as a catch and shoot stretch 4, with 3 solid defenders around him is an elite level player. Remember that one Team USA where he came off the bench and was the MVP of the team scoring like 28 a game on 65% shooting almost?

And if Wade goes to OKC it's even better.

PROCESSING

Thoughts on the new lotto set up?

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/2...esting-players

Under the new draft lottery rules, the teams with the three worst records will all have 14 percent odds to land the No. 1 pick
    Feel like when a team is eliminated from the playoffs the amount of wins they get from that point is a better option to this.

i think its rough, teams are less able to control their destiny.... i think a better way would be to increase the odds for the worst teams (ie giving the bottom 3 teams each 20% odds, giving 4-7 teams 10% odds, and not having teams 8-14 in the lottery at all, they just pick in order of record).... i like the 5 team lottery instead of 3 teams. i think they should have rules in place preventing teams from drafting in the top 3 two years in a row, so if you get the top pick in 2018, the best you can pick in 2019 is 4th.

i do like the new system more than the old system.

i still think the leagues biggest issue is maximum salaries allowing multiple superstars to team up without taking significant paycuts.

it doesnt really discourage tanking too much. now teams in 4-8th might even have more incentive to tank knowing they only need to reach 3rd worst record.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDish87 View Post
    it doesnt really discourage tanking too much. now teams in 4-8th might even have more incentive to tank knowing they only need to reach 3rd worst record.
    8th and 7th seed have the most reason to tank and miss the playoffs now. Teams 11-14 have a 9, 7, 5, 2 percent chance of landing a top 5 pick. Get Blown out or higher odds than ever at a top 5 pick?

PROCESSING

maybe it will create some incentive for the NBA to drop the NBA playoffs from 16 teams to 12.

doubtful, but it would be better.

The issue wasn't tanking. The issue was bad, poorly managed teams struggling to ever get out of the basement year after year. That's a CBA issue derived from max contracts, the design of the salary cap, and guaranteed contracts. It's not a tanking issue. And it's certainly not a lottery odds issue.

I don't know if this will disincentive tanking - it will and it won't in some ways. But this doesn't solve the real issue. This will definitely make it harder for terrible, small market teams to build through the draft.

^^ i have been thinking about that, and i agree.... the issue is not tanking... the much bigger issue, being ignored by the NBA is that the salary cap allows teams to have up to 3 max contracts on 1 roster which has been killing competitive balance.

in a league with MAYBE 10-12 true superstar talents (ie. guys who can legit be the best player on a title team), the fact that they all play on like 5 teams is an abomination.

Lebron
    Durant, Steph
    Harden
    Anthony Davis (maybe im giving him too much credit? the talent and skillset are there though)
    Kahwi
    Westbrook, Paul George

Are there really only 7 guys in this league who can be the man on a title team? and the fact that secondary stars, who still get max contracts, like Klay, Chris Paul, etc can join up with those guys under the salary cap is an abomination.

Westbrook signed a 5 year $205 mil extension.

PROCESSING

Abomination? It's always been this way. Three of the players on your list were drafted by the same team and played together.
    When your bad for a while, ideally, you should pick up top level talent in the draft. And hopefully you can keep them after their rookie deals. Then you can compete for a title.
    Restricting the movement of players on their second payday is not the answer. They've earned the right to get paid on the open market and by a team of their choosing.
    The NBA is more exciting than it has been in a really long time. People should stop whining about a team being good at being good and get better.
    This reform is overblown and unnecessary.

The absolute cleanest way to get rid of tanking IMO (it will never happen), is to get rid of the draft altogether. Everyone that enters the NBA comes in as a free agent. Record doesn't matter. Only intelligent cap management and making your organization an appealing situation for incoming rookies are rewarded. Being bad isn't rewarded. It increases competitiveness from all teams, top to bottom, every single season. And it lets rookies have a say in their future instead of being forced to a team based on an arbitrary draft position.

Does a particular rookie want to sign where he can get the most money? Does he just want to go to a good team right away and sit behind veterans? Does he want to go to a franchise that will feature him and build around him? These are the priorities that should determine where a player goes and if a team has the ability to sign him, instead of how bad your record was the year before and where they're draft position is determined by lottery balls.

Maybe in this scenario, the worse your team's record was, the more "rookie cap space" you get for the incoming class. Maybe not. Either way I'm fine with.

Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86 View Post
    ^^ i have been thinking about that, and i agree.... the issue is not tanking... the much bigger issue, being ignored by the NBA is that the salary cap allows teams to have up to 3 max contracts on 1 roster which has been killing competitive balance.

in a league with MAYBE 10-12 true superstar talents (ie. guys who can legit be the best player on a title team), the fact that they all play on like 5 teams is an abomination.

Lebron
    Durant, Steph
    Harden
    Anthony Davis (maybe im giving him too much credit? the talent and skillset are there though)
    Kahwi
    Westbrook, Paul George

Are there really only 7 guys in this league who can be the man on a title team? and the fact that secondary stars, who still get max contracts, like Klay, Chris Paul, etc can join up with those guys under the salary cap is an abomination.
    What's interesting is that only 2 of those 7 players went #1 overall.

Marcus smart is much better offensively. Closer to what he demonstrated in the playoffs than previously thought.
    Tatum is a number 1 overall level talent. I tend to think had we not traded for the pick they would have taken him first anyway. Though lakers probably would have taken Markelle.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast