Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jim Caldwell has signed multi-year extension with Lions.

Per Schefter

Your thoughts? (will provide mine shortly).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is the right move. We haven't had a top-bottom cohesive franchise in quite some time and it seems like Bob Quinn and Jim Caldwell mesh perfectly together. People have been critical of JC for a couple of reasons over the years, but I think he's been a fine HC. His worst season is 7-9 , and let's be honest with ourselves, this team hasn't exactly been star studded while he's been here. He had Suh/Calvin for 1 season, Suh left, Calvin left after the following year. After that, there's been a lot of solid talent like Quin, Tate, Ansah, but none of these dudes are blue chip talent. We haven't had an undisputed top 5 player at their position in the Caldwell era since Suh (though I'd argue Slay is creeping into top 5 CBs these days). There's a lot I have to say, but I'm not trying to regurgitate things I've said on this forum before. The team coulda quit on him in 2015 after that horrendous start, but didn't. They rebounded, then carried their momentum into 2016 and made the playoffs again after a slight down year. Here we are, and even though this week might be a tough match up, the Lions are 2-0 and look to have their eyes set on another solid year with a pretty tough schedule (to my surprise). I think Caldwell is good at identifying talent. People say coordinators carry him, and maybe they do, but guess what, he hired em, and in one case fired em. When JBC/TA eventually leave for jobs, he'll hire some more, and based on his track record of acquiring coordinators, I feel pretty good about whoever he'll bring on board next. Lombardi was a failure, but honestly, as bad as he was, I'll never blame Caldwell for taking the chance. It made a lot of sense in hindsight, and unfortunately it didn't work. Step in JBC and it's been pretty solid offensively considering the lack of any top tier guys and pretty rough OL outside of the 2 games this year. Overall, he's a solid HC, he has a solid track record, and he's here to stay.

To those Caldwell detractors, because I know you're still here, who else is there? Who could you want? Belichick? Reid? Carroll? They're not coming. Harbaugh? He's staying at Michigan. There's legitimately 3-4 GAME CHANGING head coaches in all of the NFL, and you think they're gonna leave and come to Detroit? LOL. Let's be honest, we all know Caldwell isn't the best coach in the league, but what is the difference in value added between guys like Dan Quinn, John Fox, Ron Rivera, Gary Kubiak, Mike McCarthy and Jim Caldwell? Really what is the glaring difference? There isn't one. Some call plays, some don't, but other than that, all those coaches' success all depend on their GM acquiring good talent. Mike McCarthy without Aaron Rodgers is John Fox without Peyton Manning who is Jim Caldwell without Peyton Manning. Gary Kubiak in Houston is essentially Jim Caldwell right now, and you could go down the line. There's not much a difference between any of those types of HCs. None are incompetent, but none are going to be Joe Walsh or Bill Parcells either. They're not about to carry your teams to playoffs/SBs. Maybe down the line when the Lions get a real SB contending roster you can complain about the Lions coming up short in the playoffs, but until then, this is Caldwell's team, and he's the damn best coach you've had in a quarter century and probably in the past 50 years.
    Last edited by Zspooner; 09-23-2017 at 06:24 PM.

**** yes

Right move. Best coach we ever had, every player, every coordinator, the GM, the owner, all buy-in to him. I was his biggest hater and he won me over. We can win with this team, we can win with him.

FOX 2 Sports
    (@FOX2Sports)
    Source confirms @AdamSchefter report on #Lions Caldwell multi-year extension, source tells @FOX2News it was signed months ago
    2 mins ago ∑ Twitter
    How does something like that remain a secret for so long?

Quote Originally Posted by RB#20 View Post
    Thatís what a good coach does. Iím sure resigning him made Staffordís decision easier as well.

Turns out making football players and coaches feel valuable helps their performance. Who knew
    2014 Prediction Game Champion

Deservedly so. You can question some of his in game decisions, and I won't argue with that, but when you take a dump heap of a franchise like the Lions have been historically, and take them into the plays twice in three years, you deserve a longer look as the coach. Yes, the talent has to be factored into that statement, but it is not like he has had a championship caliber roster behind him. He made the playoffs last year with a limp dick defense, and half of the offense hurt or struggling.

atleast we get to keep JBC until he becomes a head coach. By that time it won't matter who our coach is. Stafford is the coach

#QWiNNING

I have been a critic of Caldwell for quite awhile on his in game coaching and some of his clue free looks he gives the during the game but honestly, this is probably the right move. In his tenure here so far he started by working on Stafford. He's a better player now than he was before. Caldwell also seems to be loved in the locker room and the team has NEVER quit on him. Even through some bad losing stretches which shows the kind of character he brings to the team. Playoffs 2 out of the 3 years isn't easy to do either. He prompted JBC to OC and got the offense on track and he gave TA his chance at running a defense. There are worse coaches and this provides some stability for the franchise as we are turning the corner.

The last head coach of the Lions who had the same success that Caldwell has had was Joe Schmidt in the late 60's and early 70's. 50 damn years.

Our last 5 coaches didn't break .400.

Caldwell helped the Lions make the playoffs 2 out of 3 years.

As far as I am concerned this is a great move.

Quote Originally Posted by RB#20 View Post
    because no one gives a **** about us

the players like him.. that goes a long way

i care more about the cords tho

Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 #22 winner

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    because no one gives a **** about us
    I don't doubt that the local beat may have opened up the can of worms this week. Somebody had asked JC whether or not he'd say if an extension happened already, and he replied that he wouldn't tell them. I think some folks did some more digging from the national perspective and uncovered that the extension had already happened.

Could be wrong, but I don't think they needed a 2-0 start to announce it, and considering the fact that it was already signed, 2-0, 1-1, 0-2, it didn't really matter when it was announced.

Maybe if Caldwell actually defended us for once I would have some respect for him. I'm tired of this ****ing guy going to the podium and never having our backs esp in a situation like this. WE WILL NEVER get the benefit of the doubt from the NFL or refs if our head coach continues to sit back and say nothing... how do you get things accomplished like that????????

the refs and NFL will continue to **** us over if no one is speaking up... it's important man. this is another reason why Caldwell is a bad coach

#QWiNNING

We had Schwartz who always *****ed and it was worse then the spineless Caldwell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast