Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    39,601

    Brandon Nimmo’s batting eye is in a zone

    Except the 24-year-old has excelled in his first extended run of playing time. Seizing on an opportunity opened by injuries to others, he has been a fixture in the lineup since Aug. 25 and has a .271/.402/.447 slash line.

    “His on-base is tremendous,” manager Terry Collins said. “He’s exactly what everybody has told me, and that is he’s a disciplined guy at the plate. No matter what the count is, he really hunts a pitch he can handle and he’s really done a nice job.”Playing time has only reinforced his absolute confidence in his knowledge of the strike zone. It has further honed a skill that has become hard-wired into reaction.

    “Once you get up to the plate, you have 0.4 seconds to react,” Nimmo said. “So there’s not a whole lot of time for thinking.”

    He has swung at only 16.5 percent of pitches out of the zone, fifth best in baseball among those with at least 100 plate appearances. And in September, he has chased a lower percentage of pitches out of the strike zone than Reds star Joey Votto.

    Votto, however, hits for power, a gap that Nimmo hopes to bridge. He must be enough of a threat with the bat to deter pitchers from simply attacking him relentlessly. A few swing adjustments have helped.

    “His swing has gotten better and better and better,” Long said. “And that’s playing into this equation, because if he’s not doing damage or having good at-bats or making hard contact, they’re going to pound the zone and he’s not going to be able to do anything with it. So I think they go hand in hand.”

    Nimmo described “cutting the fat” in his swing by eliminating excess movements that serve as power leaks by keeping his hips from driving the action. Those changes, Long believes, could lead to more power. He did not rule out a spike similar to the one experienced by the Marlins’ Christian Yelich, who went from single-digit home run totals in his first three seasons to the 20-homer range the last two years.

    “Do I think that he can be a Christian Yelich? Yeah, I do. I think that’s in there,” Long said. “He’s starting to learn what he can maximize as far as power-wise. He’s still got work to do and he’s still got some room for improvement. But overall, we’re looking at a really, really good player right now who has a little bit higher ceiling. And the ceiling is the power.”

    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...one-1.14245308

    He will take a .268/.398/.406 slash line with four homers and 17 RBIs in 172 at-bats into Friday’s game against the Nationals at Citi Field.

    His .398 on-base percentage ranks second among NL rookies since Aug. 1, behind only Phillies phenom Rhys Hoskins.

    “I think we are very pleased with what Brandon has shown since he’s been here,” general manager Sandy Alderson said. “He has always been a disciplined hitter, but he is showing a little more power and consistently good at-bats.

    “He’s getting a lot more playing time, but even in limited playing time last year as a pinch hitter he was good, so it’s nice to see him driving the ball and having consistently good at-bats against righties and lefties.”
    http://nypost.com/2017/09/22/mets-ro...ts-paying-off/


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    62,233

    Brandon Nimmo’s batting eye is in a zone

    Can they play him in CF more often? We already know he can play the corner OF spots well. I doubt the Mets grab an impact outfielder this offseason based on these statements.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 09-22-2017 at 12:04 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,190
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Can they play him in CF more often? We already know he can play the corner OF spots well. I doubt the Mets grab an impact outfielder this offseason based on these statements.
    Little things like that are bothering me. For example, playing Evans at second base when the team has a need at third, not second.

    There are things that a team out of contention in September can afford to do that a team in a pennant race cannot. But the Mets are not doing these things and that annoys me.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    16,086
    Nimmo should play center. I see him being as adequate as Conforto was defensively with a weaker arm. A healthy Conforto and athletic Cespedes leaves a little room to sacrifice defense.

    I've liked Nimmo for a few years simply because he can draw a walk. I wasn't knowledgeable enough about the specs at the time he was drafted but I know he never played high school ball which IMO made him a good candidate to be a later-career breakout player.

    I know lots of you guys (mainly Sick ) like to say that the Mets should've drafted Sonny Gray or the late Jose Fernandez instead but after looking at the draft, we could've done a lot worse in the first round.

    The Mariners drafted an ineffective Danny Hultzen, Royals drafted Bubba Starling, and the Padres took Spangenberg (IMO Nimmo is the better player) so yeah, it could've been worse.

    We also could've taken guys like Jed Bradley, Chris Reed, Matt Barnes, CJ Cron, Levi Michael, or Robert Stephenson. Idk about you but I've only heard of one of those guys.

    Oh and Sean Gilmartin was taken by the Braves that round too lulz

    Nimmo might not be a sexy player but he's made for the lead off spot with Lagares taking over as a late game replacement - even against lefties.

    He's still only what? 24? He'll fill out a little more and maybe develop a bit more pop. I could see him as a guy who will hit you .270/.400/.380 with 10-15 homers and 10-15 stolen bases. we don't have anybody else who can draw a walk...let the dude play everyday.

    I've said it before but I've argued with Keith Law over Nimmo lol. Law never liked him very much but I've liked him more than Smith and even now, I like him more than Rosario.

    Top prospects aren't always the best. Sometimes it's your 7th or 8th best guy that you neglect that ends up producing at the highest level.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Nimmo should play center. I see him being as adequate as Conforto was defensively with a weaker arm. A healthy Conforto and athletic Cespedes leaves a little room to sacrifice defense.

    I've liked Nimmo for a few years simply because he can draw a walk. I wasn't knowledgeable enough about the specs at the time he was drafted but I know he never played high school ball which IMO made him a good candidate to be a later-career breakout player.

    I know lots of you guys (mainly Sick ) like to say that the Mets should've drafted Sonny Gray or the late Jose Fernandez instead but after looking at the draft, we could've done a lot worse in the first round.

    The Mariners drafted an ineffective Danny Hultzen, Royals drafted Bubba Starling, and the Padres took Spangenberg (IMO Nimmo is the better player) so yeah, it could've been worse.

    We also could've taken guys like Jed Bradley, Chris Reed, Matt Barnes, CJ Cron, Levi Michael, or Robert Stephenson. Idk about you but I've only heard of one of those guys.

    Oh and Sean Gilmartin was taken by the Braves that round too lulz

    Nimmo might not be a sexy player but he's made for the lead off spot with Lagares taking over as a late game replacement - even against lefties.

    He's still only what? 24? He'll fill out a little more and maybe develop a bit more pop. I could see him as a guy who will hit you .270/.400/.380 with 10-15 homers and 10-15 stolen bases. we don't have anybody else who can draw a walk...let the dude play everyday.

    I've said it before but I've argued with Keith Law over Nimmo lol. Law never liked him very much but I've liked him more than Smith and even now, I like him more than Rosario.

    Top prospects aren't always the best. Sometimes it's your 7th or 8th best guy that you neglect that ends up producing at the highest level.
    Nimmo has a stronger arm than Conforto. Need to find out if he is noticeably a better CFer, though.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    89,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Nimmo should play center. I see him being as adequate as Conforto was defensively with a weaker arm. A healthy Conforto and athletic Cespedes leaves a little room to sacrifice defense.

    I've liked Nimmo for a few years simply because he can draw a walk. I wasn't knowledgeable enough about the specs at the time he was drafted but I know he never played high school ball which IMO made him a good candidate to be a later-career breakout player.

    I know lots of you guys (mainly Sick ) like to say that the Mets should've drafted Sonny Gray or the late Jose Fernandez instead but after looking at the draft, we could've done a lot worse in the first round.

    The Mariners drafted an ineffective Danny Hultzen, Royals drafted Bubba Starling, and the Padres took Spangenberg (IMO Nimmo is the better player) so yeah, it could've been worse.

    We also could've taken guys like Jed Bradley, Chris Reed, Matt Barnes, CJ Cron, Levi Michael, or Robert Stephenson. Idk about you but I've only heard of one of those guys.

    Oh and Sean Gilmartin was taken by the Braves that round too lulz

    Nimmo might not be a sexy player but he's made for the lead off spot with Lagares taking over as a late game replacement - even against lefties.

    He's still only what? 24? He'll fill out a little more and maybe develop a bit more pop. I could see him as a guy who will hit you .270/.400/.380 with 10-15 homers and 10-15 stolen bases. we don't have anybody else who can draw a walk...let the dude play everyday.

    I've said it before but I've argued with Keith Law over Nimmo lol. Law never liked him very much but I've liked him more than Smith and even now, I like him more than Rosario.

    Top prospects aren't always the best. Sometimes it's your 7th or 8th best guy that you neglect that ends up producing at the highest level.
    I been on the they should of drafted Gray bandwagon since day one. Gray was a top 5 draft prospect who fell not because of legit injury concern, but because of his size.

    Am was never one to say they should of drafted Wacka when he was the hot stuff or Fernandez because he a guy that was considered to be a pen arm at the time of the draft. Gray as been pretty ****ing good since becoming a pro.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,382
    Nimmo should be the starting CF. The only thing to worry about with him is whether he has in game power but at 24, its not like he can't develop that going forward. Yeah I know the BABIP is high but his plate discipline and pitch recognition skills are excellent. That bodes well for him going forward.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,190
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Nimmo should be the starting CF. The only thing to worry about with him is whether he has in game power but at 24, its not like he can't develop that going forward. Yeah I know the BABIP is high but his plate discipline and pitch recognition skills are excellent. That bodes well for him going forward.
    I don't think we'll be able to know for sure until next season when the pitchers, wary about Nimmo's penchant for drawing walks, start pounding the strike zone more, getting ahead in the count and forcing him to swing.

    Only then will we get a sense of what kind of hitter he is. Will say this though, he sure as heck doesn't seem like a punch and judy hitter to me at all.

    We'll see though.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    39,601
    Well FOC, he does hunt for his pitch which is the reason his BABIP is so high. So if they choose to pound the strike zone and he manages a little lift in his swing, they will pay dearly.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Well FOC, he does hunt for his pitch which is the reason his BABIP is so high. So if they choose to pound the strike zone and he manages a little lift in his swing, they will pay dearly.
    Maybe. Have to say I like what I see in him. But his high BABIP is still based on a small sample. So we'll see what happens when the sample gets larger.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    7,170
    He still strikes out too much.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northport, LI
    Posts
    1,443
    Yeah, for a guy with no power that's a lot of strikeouts.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    24,871
    Quote Originally Posted by eltwo View Post
    Yeah, for a guy with no power that's a lot of strikeouts.
    The probability he will develop power is high in my opinion. He’s a big strong kid and power is the last tool to show. Flores’ ISO has climbed every season and has been above .200 for 2 straight seasons.

    Important questions for me about Nimmo are:

    Is he a platoon player?
    Can he be a MLB average CFer?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    (null)
    Agree
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    62,233
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Nimmo has a stronger arm than Conforto. Need to find out if he is noticeably a better CFer, though.
    That is definitely not true. Conforto's arm is above average while Nimmo's is below average.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •