Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).

If Stockton played today

What kind of numbers would he post?

Amazing 3pt shooter. Amazing passer. Guards the passing lanes like crazy in a league that relies increasingly on passing.

If seems like he was born about 20 years too early.

I realize that most would assume his steals numbers would go down, but unlike guys like Jordan and Alvin Robertson, who many claim were allowed to rip people's arms off in pursuit of a steal, Stocking usually picked off bad passes. The league now relies on passing more than ever.

Back then, he wasn't given many 3pt shots; Sloan went with the PnR. Now, he'd be allowed to exploit that.

His passing? With the increase number of possessions, it seems like he could get more, or at least as many; but teams rely more on team-passing and not a conventional PG (see SAS, GSW), but we've seen teams like Houston and OKC last year the Celtics in 08, and Nash's Suns rely on one passer more than others.

What kind of stat line would Stockton post today?
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

One of the smartest players in history. He'd put up similar numbers. I think if he wanted to he could score more. He could be Nash with defense, but I don't know if he has that scorer's mentality ingrained into him. He seems like one of the purest play makers ever.

He's too smart not adapt and exploit whatever rules are in front of him. I think He'd be a better version of Nash.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    One of the smartest players in history. He'd put up similar numbers. I think if he wanted to he could score more. He could be Nash with defense, but I don't know if he has that scorer's mentality ingrained into him. He seems like one of the purest play makers ever.

He's too smart not adapt and exploit whatever rules are in front of him. I think He'd be a better version of Nash.

I feel the same way about his scoring. He didn't have a scorer's mentality, even though it seemed like he could score at will. He was like somes chess wizard: you see a pawn come out, and a knight get brought out, and then you see the bishop coming and you're like "I don't know what's going on... it looks like I got this, but I feel like there is a trap being set."

He's one of those guys who when you are playing against in high school, you just feel like they can score whenever they want, but they aren't just scorers: they utilize the entire team around them. They are looking for the pass, and you know they are going to break you down, get you to commit defensively to something, and then kick the ball out, or score themselves.

There were two guys I played with/against like that. When I played one-on-one with most people, I'd beat them or be competitive (this was a pretty much all-white high school in a small town, so that isn't saying much mind you). But these two dudes... it was just like they could beat me 21-0. It was embarrassing. And when I was on the same team as them in pick-up games, I was always so much more effective. We're just talking street ball among a bunch of kids, none of whom are much more than 6 feet mind you... but it's that same dichotomy.

There were guys on the high school team that scored more than these guys, but they were always clearly the best players on their teams. They set the tone and opened everything up for everybody else.

I've no clue what Stockton's stat lines would be... I feel like nearly the same, but I know for sure he would be kicking @$$ and taking names, and I feel like he'd get more appreciation in this era than he did in his own, and that's saying a lot because though he would walk around Barcelona when playing for the Dream Team and not get hassled by casual fans, everybody who knew the game thought he was the $#!t. He was your favorite player's favorite player.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

The PG's role have changed as well. In today's game and today's rules, the PG is asked to do more in terms of scoring. It seems like you have almost 10 pg's putting up 20 plus or close to twenty.

RWB-Curry-Harden-Wall-Lillard-Kyrie-IT-Kemba-Lowry-Conley, maybe even more Cp3, Dragic...

PG usage is crazy high nowadays.

Historically you did have PG's that could score, but there would be 1-2 PG's in every era that could average 20, not to the degree as it is today. Typical the ball just brought the ball up and initiated the offense.

I think Stockton would be smart enough to adapt to the changing role and climate of today's game. He'd probably be closer to a Chris Paul in terms of impact. Play-maker first, Scorer second, and he'd give you that defense, dirty-cleverness- grit- and toughness as well.

I agree the only thing I disagree with the OP is the impression he left that Stockton wasn't a hacker. Dude was physical as **** and got away with a lot on his way to all those steals

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Honestly, just another TJ McConnell if he played in today's league.
    https://s26.postimg.org/a20wgmf49/20969116_474690526257462_6125363099198291968_n.jpg

Looks good in that wine and gold, CavsNation were coming!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WaDe03 View Post
    LOL. Too crafty, smart, and competitive to be compared like that. He's like a Draymond for PG's, kinda dirty, smart, tough, and just makes the right plays. Gets the most of his talent. Can shoot better then dray though,

both clutch as ****

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    both clutch as ****
    My point exactly!
    https://s26.postimg.org/a20wgmf49/20969116_474690526257462_6125363099198291968_n.jpg

My point exactly!
    I thought because he was white and not the most physically imposing.

That makes you a heediot.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I agree the only thing I disagree with the OP is the impression he left that Stockton wasn't a hacker. Dude was physical as **** and got away with a lot on his way to all those steals
    I loved to watch him play, and he was easily one of the dirtiest players I've ever seen.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    That makes you a heediot.
    maybe i got the balls to call out another poster, or at least make him clarify. dude just dick rode ewings comment. i don't see the tj mcconell comparison at all.

All the above lol.

maybe i got the balls to call out another poster, or at least make him clarify. dude just dick rode ewings comment. i don't see the tj mcconell comparison at all.
    Called me out how?
    Last edited by Scoots; 09-22-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast