Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Report: Jays nearing an extension with Estrada

As per Morsoi

Apparently its a 1 year deal. Could have ooptions
    Last edited by phillipmike; 09-19-2017 at 11:17 PM.

I'm fine with this. He wanted to be here and we need SP

Being reported as a 1y 13M dollar figure.

Great deal. We have a great starting 4 as long as Sanchez can return to form. A rotation of Stroman, Happ, Estrada and Sanchez is great. This proactive move allows us to focus on obtaining a 5th starter, LF, rotation depth and preferably another utility player alla Pierce that can play multiple positions with speed and pop.

If we can get Martin, Donaldson, Tulo and Travis for more then what they produced this season we will be ok and in the running for a wild card. Injuries killed us this season, I believe if we didn't have the number of games lost at the beginning of the season with Donaldson, Tulo and Sanchez we still would be in the thick of things heading into the last week of the season. We easily could have won another 10-15 games if health was a non-issue with these core players.

We will be ok.

Tulo Donaldson Martin Pearce Happ Estrada Morales....Will all be a year older and thus be even more prone to injury. Every team deals with injuries and health being a non-issue for any team is an aberration not the norm, especially when you're the oldest team in the league.

With Morales the every day DH, you're expecting things that are totally unrealistic. Travis seemingly gets injured at the drop of a feather and he's young so if you're going to make unrealistic wishes why not wish that Mike Trout and Max Scherzer get traded for Ryan Goins and Darwin Barney.

Donaldson, being in a contract year is likely to improve, but the rest are who they are. And likely will decline if not given adequate rest.

One year for Estrada is a buy time move to allow the front office to continue developing the prospects we do have and hopefully acquire more. I sincerely doubt they honestly expect this move to turn them into a contender. If it keeps the fans engaged and fans buying tickets all the better.
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 09-20-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    I read that it was a done deal and it's a one year $13m deal now. No options being reported by TSN. It's pretty much exactly what I thought he would get, but less term. Perfect deal. Fills a hole as a back end starter. I don't know why get their panties in a bunch over 4th and 5th starter options. If anything I would say we now may have the highest ceiling #4 in all of baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    Any options or just a straight one year deal

As it is, it's not a "bad" deal, there are no long term consequences. As long as one accepts the move for what it is it's perfectly reasonable. As a keep us "relevant" move it's fine.

Or as a "we need starting pitching and he's a starting pitcher" move

Darvish. Arrieta. And Lance Lynn, are all better and would have greater potential impact. By sliding Sanchez and Happ into the #3 and #4 slots you help not only one rotation slot but 4 of them. That's why this is merely a " keep us relevant" move. It doesn't make us better. It just maintains the status quo. Thereby keeping us relevant.

Understanding the effect on others and overall values in relation to the competition does matter

Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
    Darvish. Arrieta. And Lance Lynn, are all better and would have greater potential impact. By sliding Sanchez and Happ into the #3 and #4 slots you help not only one rotation slot but 4 of them. That's why this is merely a " keep us relevant" move. It doesn't make us better. It just maintains the status quo. Thereby keeping us relevant.

Understanding the effect on others and overall values in relation to the competition does matter
    if he returns to form from all of 12 months ago it's the return of one of the top starters in the league. why are you so convinced that is unlikely to happen? in the second half he's been closer to what we hoped for already. as long as his mid season slump was just a poor stretch of performance he's better than lance lynn that's pretty much for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Well considering we need more then one starter anyway doesn't mean there out on other arms either.
    Estrada is a very good risk for a backend guy getting a backend SP type deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post

But all three of those guys are over your arbitrary cut off age of 30

That being said would I love to sign either Darvish or Arrieta? Sure, but the reality of the situation is that we won't. Lynn on the other hand, I don't want any part of. He's gonna get paid and I feel he is overrated.

Guys, this was our opening day starter. He had a bad year. Luckily velocity doesn't mean **** for him. This is a great deal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast