Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Malcom Butler

Malcom Butler

Could we see another mid season trade ala Jamie Collins like last season?

Malcom was "benched" during portions of last weeks game vs the saints in favor of Eric Rowe after playing 95%+ of snaps in each of the last two seasons.

There has been media speculation that his attitude stemming from his off season aggravation with regards to his contractual status could be affecting his play.

Thoughts?
    2015/2017 Superbowl Champs

Possible but I don't expect it. We're not brimming with CB depth. We weren't with LB depth last year either but that's not something I expect year over year - dealing away guys we don't have great replacements for.

It's not like he didn't play. He was still the 3rd CB which is basically a starter anyway.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Depends on what we get in return for him, if we get a starter on the front 7 and maybe 2nd rd pick for him l, i see it happening because, honestly he has been a liability in the secondary so far this year. I think he isnplaying himself right out a gilmore type contract, and teams arw seeing that BB was right again, saying he wasnt worth the money. I said it last year we are gonna kiss logan ryan more then butler, because ryam generated turnovers, which we have not been doing so far this year.

Depends on what we get in return for him, if we get a starter on the front 7 and maybe 2nd rd pick for him l, i see it happening because, honestly he has been a liability in the secondary so far this year. I think he isnplaying himself right out a gilmore type contract, and teams are seeing that BB was right again, saying he wasnt worth the money. I said it last year we are gonna miss logan ryan more then butler, because ryan generated turnovers, which we have not been doing so far this year.

Depends on what we get in return for him, if we get a starter on the front 7 and maybe 2nd rd pick for him l, i see it happening because, honestly he has been a liability in the secondary so far this year. I think he isnplaying himself right out of a gilmore type contract, and teams are seeing that BB was right again, saying he wasnt worth the money. I said it last year we are gonna miss logan ryan more then butler, because ryan generated turnovers, which we have not been doing so far this year.

Maybe trade him then sign revis to a incentive based deal to be a back up. Maybe also Butler bad play is based on him trying to hard to get paid and not focusing on football.

You can't deal him because we have no depth. Jonathan Jones is decent, but not a guy you want taking a big amount of snaps on defense (yet). Bademosi is the only other CB on the roster.

If we deal Butler and Gilmore/Rowe gets injured, we're in big trouble.

Best players play and he isn't playing at the top of his game. IMO he looks like he's playing not to get hurt. They get nothing when he walks, so getting something decent in return now sounds tempting. He's not as valuable as he was when the Saints were looking to trade.

I think his snap count this week could be very telling. If they continue to decline, I believe he is out before week 6. It's all a matter of if BB knows something we don't... Is butler giving 100%? Has there been a drop off in play from him from past seasons? Is his attitude **** in the locker room?

All speculation, but I think it definitely worth monitoring. I'm also firm on the mindset that NO MATTER WHAT, Butler WILL NOT BE on this team beyond this year. BB nailed that coffin shut when he signed Gilmore...

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Monster View Post
    You can't deal him because we have no depth. Jonathan Jones is decent, but not a guy you want taking a big amount of snaps on defense (yet). Bademosi is the only other CB on the roster.

If we deal Butler and Gilmore/Rowe gets injured, we're in big trouble.
    Disagree. Did we have amazing LB depth when we dealt Collins midseason? We traded for Van Noy right around the same time as some other JAG (Shea McClellan I think?)...

Don't be surprised if you see a CB traded to the pats for a future 5-7 pick then see butler flipped for a 3-4 rounder or another nfl roster player that can help us at LB, DL or WR.

Trading Butler is tough unless we get draft capital and then turn around and deal that for a LB or DE.

Our other DB's (CB included) are playing OK->well, so it's possible from that angle. Could be BB is trying to mess with Butler to lower his market price next year, more likely he's getting the team used to playing w/o him because he's the next Collins.

I'm worried about Houston. Cannon is banged up and has played just like a guy with a big contract - meh.

Solder must have some physical issue because he's getting whipped. Playing that team with two OT's with issues isn't good. They'll have to scheme to win - lots of passes to the backs, max protect called quite a bit, running game.

Mason is only OL we have that's playing great.

I wish BB had followed my opinion in the pre season and looked elsewhere than our K.

Alan Branch is another guy that got paid and isn't putting out. He's going to be gone unless he reforms.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by Celticsfan2007 View Post
    Disagree. Did we have amazing LB depth when we dealt Collins midseason? We traded for Van Noy right around the same time as some other JAG (Shea McClellan I think?)...

Don't be surprised if you see a CB traded to the pats for a future 5-7 pick then see butler flipped for a 3-4 rounder or another nfl roster player that can help us at LB, DL or WR.
    We had better depth at LB last year when Collins was dealt than what we have at CB right now.

Hightower, Ninkovich, Van Noy, McClellin, Roberts, and Mingo.

The depth comparison isn’t really close.

Hence why i said, trade butler for a front 7 defender, then maybe sign Revis for depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Monster View Post
    We had better depth at LB last year when Collins was dealt than what we have at CB right now.

Hightower, Ninkovich, Van Noy, McClellin, Roberts, and Mingo.

The depth comparison isn’t really close.
    Sure if your looking at it in a vacuum. As I stated in my previous post, don't be surprised to see a seperate trade that brings in another DB to replace Butler if he is dealt. Depth isn't a reason BB would NOT trade a guy... He's never been afraid of trading or release name players... you know his history. Arguing about depth is just semantics and dodges the real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticsfan2007 View Post
    Sure if your looking at it in a vacuum. As I stated in my previous post, don't be surprised to see a seperate trade that brings in another DB to replace Butler if he is dealt. Depth isn't a reason BB would NOT trade a guy... He's never been afraid of trading or release name players... you know his history. Arguing about depth is just semantics and dodges the real issue.
    Uh, what.

All I said is we had better depth at LB when we dealt Collins than at CB if we dealt Butler. Even if we trade for a #3 CB the point still stands. Rowe and Jones are only in their second year with the Patriots and they’d be the longest tenured.

In Butlers defense, he played really well last week.

Will be interesting to see how snaps are handled once Rowe is back.