Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What is your favorite thing about baseball?

Pretty simple thing. I'll give a couple of examples.

There's no play clock to run down, the other team always gets an equal chance.

The head to head match up every single at bat.

Stats.

Etc.

listening to games on the radio -- especially Mets' broadcasts with Howie Rose and Josh Lewin. Otherwise I like following the Mets minor league affiliates.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

I just love the game. I would be perfectly happy watching Philly and San Diego play each other. Just a big fan of baseball in general.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Day games

The mental battle between a pitcher and batter. Both ends of it are exciting as hell. I love trying to guess what a pitcher is going to throw and for hitters I constantly pull the "I'd be sitting on ______ if I were him now." All in all, it's a guessing game shrouded with deception. It's the best game ever invented.

I love that any team could beat any team on any given day. The Giants could beat the Indians tomorrow. Even with a terrible pitcher facing someone like Kluber. May not be totally likely, but there's still a chance with baseball.

Exhibit A: "Nick Pivetta, who has the highest ERA in the majors, has been opposed by Chris Sale and Clayton Kershaw and the Phillies won both games."

Like my stats teacher used to tell us, it humbles you as a player. No matter how good you think you are, success rate can be quite low. If you think you're doing bad by not hitting half of what you face, think again.

Within each game of 9 versus 9 is the pitch by pitch game of 1 versus 1.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

All great answers. I love reading them.

For me, my absolute favorite thing when I was a kid was tuning into the all star game and watching them announce each player. I was always so proud when they announced the Blue Jays players. I used to be so upset when we went camping during the all star break.

My love for baseball waxes and wanes depending on a variety of things, but lately it's been waxing again.

For me a lot of it is nostalgia. As a kid it was far and away my favorite sport and I followed it obsessively. I'd make my own projections when I was in my early teens. I traveled all across the country with my dad during the summers when he went on business trips and we'd go to ball games. We'd drive out to Fenway 4-5 times a year. My favorite sports memories were the 2004 Red Sox and their run to the World Series. I'll never have a passion for a team like I had for them, no matter how hard I try.

It's such a unique sport with so many oddities. The history of baseball has always been far more interesting to me than other sports, perhaps due to the statistical nature of the sport. It's so convenient too. I can not watch a game for weeks but still get enjoyment out of following along via podcasts, radio, tv and playing fantasy baseball. They're also more convenient games to go to. Listening to it on the radio is a perfectly good experience...whereas other sports it doesn't work out so much. I listen to baseball a lot.

I work with a few people who aren't from the US and/or didn't grow up liking baseball. I find that it's really hard to get into later in life and can imagine that if I didn't have such a connection to it as a child I probably would struggle to care. But if you did grow up with it it does feel like something more special than the other sports I grew up following.
    this my sig

It's a one vs one team game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Pretty simple thing. I'll give a couple of examples.

There's no play clock to run down, the other team always gets an equal chance.

The head to head match up every single at bat.

Stats.

Etc.

The uniqueness of baseball. Football, basketball, hockey, and soccer, all involve moving an object between goalposts. But baseball is different.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

The fact that it's the one sport in which people from all races can play in the same team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And for the sport itself it's the one on one matchup every pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    The fact that it's the one sport in which people from all races can play in the same team.

Can they not in other sports?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast