Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Grade the Giants Draft!

Sorry, I'm late on my annual thread here. It's time to grade the Giants.....2014 draft!

I usually do this right after the draft, because I find it insane that people grade teams' drafts without the players ever playing an NFL game. Makes no sense.

So we look 3 years out (here's last years 2013 draft grade thread: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...e-Giants-Draft! )

Below is a list of our picks. Keep in mind the value of the pick in the draft v. what they got. Meaning, yeah maybe that 6th round guy wasn't great, but....it's a 6th round pick. Or maybe they got a starter in round 5 and that's more impressive than getting a starter in round 2......does that make sense? **** it, let's grade:

Full 2014 Draft Selections to compare who was taken before and after our guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_N...yer_selections

Round 1, Pick 12 (12) Odell Beckham WR
    Pick Analysis: "His mother was an All-American sprinter at LSU. His dad played football at LSU. He's got all the measurables. He's also one of best route runners in this draft. He's very advanced in terms of his route running." -- Mike Mayock
    Round 2, Pick 11 (43) Weston Richburg C
    Pick Analysis: "Keep in mind folks, the Giants were the most aggressive I've seen them in free agency. They added tackle Charles Brown, guard John Jerry and guard Geoff Schwartz as free agents. They come back in the second round and add Richburg. The Giants are infusing more athleticism and youth on the offensive line. Last year they added Justin Pugh in the first round. They are getting more athletic on the line." -- Mike Mayock
    Round 3, Pick 10 (74) Jay Bromley DT
    Pick Analysis: "He's a big two-down run stuffer." -- Mike Mayock

Round 4, Pick 13 (113) Andre Williams RB

Pick Analysis: "He had 355 touches last year for nearly 2,200 yards. But, he had no receptions and does not have natural hands; and that is why he slid a little bit. Off the field, his offensive linemen call him 'Edgar' because he's a poet and he's writing a book." -- Mike Mayock
    Round 5, Pick 12 (152) Nat Berhe SS

Pick Analysis: At San Diego State's pro day, Berhe ran the 40 in 4.55 and 4.56 seconds. He had a 35-inch vertical and 9-10 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.42 seconds and the three-cone in 7.32 seconds. He had 17 strength lifts.
    Round 5, Pick 34 (174) (Compensatory selection) Devon Kennard OLB

Round 6, Pick 11 (187) Bennett Jackson CB
    Pick Analysis: "Jackson came to Notre Dame as a wide receiver. He played so well on special teams that they moved him to the other side of the ball. He has a chance to be a long corner. Initially he will compete on special teams." -- Mike Mayock

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Sorry, I'm late on my annual thread here. It's time to grade the Giants.....2014 draft!

I usually do this right after the draft, because I find it insane that people grade teams' drafts without the players ever playing an NFL game. Makes no sense.

So we look 3 years out (here's last years 2013 draft grade thread: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...e-Giants-Draft! )

Below is a list of our picks. Keep in mind the value of the pick in the draft v. what they got. Meaning, yeah maybe that 6th round guy wasn't great, but....it's a 6th round pick. Or maybe they got a starter in round 5 and that's more impressive than getting a starter in round 2......does that make sense? **** it, let's grade:

Full 2014 Draft Selections to compare who was taken before and after our guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_N...yer_selections

Round 1, Pick 12 (12) Odell Beckham WR

Round 2, Pick 11 (43) Weston Richburg C

Round 3, Pick 10 (74) Jay Bromley DT

Round 4, Pick 13 (113) Andre Williams RB

Round 5, Pick 12 (152) Nat Berhe SS

Round 5, Pick 34 (174) (Compensatory selection) Devon Kennard OLB

Round 6, Pick 11 (187) Bennett Jackson CB
    I would grade this an A-

We definitely hit on 3 of the picks: OBJ, Richburg and Kennard. The jury is still out on Bromley and Berhe.

Really good draft overall. I could understand if anyone argues that this is probably more in line with a B+ than an A-, but it's hard to argue against the impact that OBJ has had on this team. That pick alone brings it up to an A. If both Bromley and Berhe are contributors this year then the grade could be bumped to an A+.
    Last edited by eeek78; 09-15-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Maybe I'm too easy on them, but I think this draft is an easy A.

1st - OBJ: I will say that with Donald and Zack Martin on the board, it's hard to make a bad pick here. And these days, you could squeeze out the argument that we need Martin more than anything right now and could get buy on other WR options via FA, etc. But bottom line is that they got the best WR in the draft, possibly the best WR in the league right now and very likely the best WR in Giants history A+++

2nd - Richburg: You hope to get a high-end starter in the 2nd and they did. Richburg has been nothing but solid and contract re-signing aside, they got a long term C in the 2nd round and one of the best pieces on our oline right now. A

3rd - Bromley: Seems like the depth chart more than skills kept him back these last few years, so he's still TBD. But it looks like he could be our starting DT in life-after-Hankins. I'd call it a B with the potential to go up or down this year, but given that Trai Turner was on the board at the time they picked him, a C is probably more appropriate. Turner on this team right now.....damn.

4th - Andre Williams: Such a bizarre situation. High hopes, had some solid TDs and runs in his rookie year and then just faded away. Think he's still bouncing around the Chargers practice squad. Really seems like he has the skills so not sure what happened. Either way, he's barely still in the NFL and despite being a draft pick, got released in year 2. Notable guys taken after him in the 4th: Martavis Bryant, Kevin Norwood, De'Anthony Thomas and James White. F

5th - Nat Berhe: Another tough one to judge because he's been behind some quality safeties so far. The dude is a missile and hits like few safeties we've had post-Parcells. Quality STs player and reliable depth option in the 5th round. B

5th - Devon Kennard: I mean....come on. Got a high-end starting SAM and rotational DE/pass rusher in the 5th round. He's in for a solid payday soon and I hope we can afford to keep him. A+

6th - Bennett Jackson: Poor guy. When they moved him from CB to safety he looked pretty damn good, but the torn ACL....ugh. Amazing how quickly a guy can go from potential millionaire starter in the NFL to never finding work again. Incomplete

Overall: A+ Some incredible scouting paid off in a big way with this draft. A legendary superstar, 3 starters, 2 quality depth guys and 1 dud (who still had 7 TDs in his rookie year).

Maybe I'm too easy on them, but I think this draft is an easy A.

1st - OBJ: I will say that with Donald and Zack Martin on the board, it's hard to make a bad pick here. And these days, you could squeeze out the argument that we need Martin more than anything right now and could get buy on other WR options via FA, etc. But bottom line is that they got the best WR in the draft, possibly the best WR in the league right now and very likely the best WR in Giants history A+++

2nd - Richburg: You hope to get a high-end starter in the 2nd and they did. Richburg has been nothing but solid and contract re-signing aside, they got a long term C in the 2nd round and one of the best pieces on our oline right now. A

3rd - Bromley: Seems like the depth chart more than skills kept him back these last few years, so he's still TBD. But it looks like he could be our starting DT in life-after-Hankins. I'd call it a B with the potential to go up or down this year, but given that Trai Turner was on the board at the time they picked him, a C is probably more appropriate. Turner on this team right now.....damn.

4th - Andre Williams: Such a bizarre situation. High hopes, had some solid TDs and runs in his rookie year and then just faded away. Think he's still bouncing around the Chargers practice squad. Really seems like he has the skills so not sure what happened. Either way, he's barely still in the NFL and despite being a draft pick, got released in year 2. Notable guys taken after him in the 4th: Martavis Bryant, Kevin Norwood, De'Anthony Thomas and James White. F

5th - Nat Berhe: Another tough one to judge because he's been behind some quality safeties so far. The dude is a missile and hits like few safeties we've had post-Parcells. Quality STs player and reliable depth option in the 5th round. B

5th - Devon Kennard: I mean....come on. Got a high-end starting SAM and rotational DE/pass rusher in the 5th round. He's in for a solid payday soon and I hope we can afford to keep him. A+

6th - Bennett Jackson: Poor guy. When they moved him from CB to safety he looked pretty damn good, but the torn ACL....ugh. Amazing how quickly a guy can go from potential millionaire starter in the NFL to never finding work again. Incomplete

Overall: A+ Some incredible scouting paid off in a big way with this draft. A legendary superstar, 3 starters, 2 quality depth guys and 1 dud (who still had 7 TDs in his rookie year).
    I agree with everything with the exception of your two quality depth guys and Jackson. He gets an F as he didn't pan out, regardless of injuries. I wouldn't give Bromley or Behre anything higher than a D+. They barely see the field. So IMO, you are being too easy on the 2 quality depth guys.

It has to be an A, 95% because of Odell. Hard and rare to stumble into the type of talent Odell is, who has played football at the highest level since the first time he stepped onto the field for us. I think Richburg is a decent C, who due to the lack of other starting level players on the OL in recent years has gotten slightly overrated. But still a good value pick. Kennard has done pretty well for us. Hard to deny that Berhe, Williams and Jackson all had potential enough to be worth a look in the mid/late rounds, even though they didn't necessarily work out, and maybe this year Bromley finally turns into something more.

Has to be one of the better drafts we've had in a while, though.

Considering the oline right now, put homerism aside, anyone think we should have went Martin over OBJ?

Considering the oline right now, put homerism aside, anyone think we should have went Martin over OBJ?
    No because it's hard to find a top 5 WR. We don't need an elite guard, someone good enough to get the job done.

The problem is Reese NEVER capitalized on the opportunity of trading up and snagging an oline man. 2 straight drafts we could of had Shrieff and Conklin. Our line could of been set for years!

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsSwaGG View Post
    No because it's hard to find a top 5 WR. We don't need an elite guard, someone good enough to get the job done.

The problem is Reese NEVER capitalized on the opportunity of trading up and snagging an oline man. 2 straight drafts we could of had Shrieff and Conklin. Our line could of been set for years!
    FWIW, I'm a half Titans/Giants fan. I know Conklin got plenty of hype after last year, and rightfully so. But Titans still run plenty of heavy sets and offer plenty of TE help to their tackles. In two weeks so far this season, he looked vulnerable. He got embarrassed on a couple of occasions against the Raiders, didn't have a good game against Jacksonville, and Seattle's up next, so that's a bit concerning. Still would gladly take him over Hart or Flowers, but I don't think he would've been a game changer on this OL or anything. Some of the better OLs in the league are just simply well coached and schemed, or have made it a point of emphasis either in FA with big money smartly invested or repeated drafts.

Martin over OBJ would've been great. I would've gone with Aaron Donald though. Draft Donald and a few years later we sign a very good LT to a big contract instead of using the money on Damon Harrison. I say Harrison because i'm sure we can find a run stopping DT via the draft or even signing a cheap one in free agency. Fast forward to today and we have on Oline made up of the LT we acquired, Pugh, Richburg, and possibly Flowers(as either a RG or a RT) if Reese decides to spend a 1st round pick on a tackle in the 2015 draft. And if Reese does sign Vernon and extend JPP, you're looking at a Dline featuring JPP, Donald and OV.

A few weeks ago, my buddy asked if i would trade OBJ ,and if so, who would i trade him for. I said Von Miller, Aaron Donald and then i smiled and told him i would trade for Tyron Smith even before Miller or Donald but a Dallas-NYG trade wouldn't happen. Man, i miss our Diehl-Snee-O'Hara-Seubert-Mackenzie line so much.
    Last edited by Armo_NYG_fan; 09-18-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsSwaGG View Post

Him not trading up for Scherff doesn't bother me as much as Tunsil's off the field issues changing the draft's landscape. If those never occur, he probably is the first OT off the board and we get a shot at drafting Conklin(assuming Ronnie Stanley gets drafted before Conklin).
    Last edited by Armo_NYG_fan; 09-18-2017 at 06:18 PM.

I have to give it an A because of OBJ being a top 20 player in the NFL and a top 3 WR

It's an A.

Donald is great, but we needed offense more and I'd rather have Odell than Martin even with our O-line issues. Only thing you can argue is to take Martin and then trade up for Allen Robinson in the second round (I wanted him in this draft at the time and I still think he's a stud playing with a horrible QB).

But I think Richburg is pretty good too so I'm fine with how things turned out. It's easy to look back and say we should have drafted O-linemen with all of these picks lol, but this is the one draft where you don't regret it with Odell.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Could have had Trai Turner over Bromley......I mean.......****

Could have had Trai Turner over Bromley......I mean.......****
    Eh i mean in hindsight yes, but i thought Bromley was going to become a decent pass rushing DT at the very least. He had an excellent senior year at Syracuse and he was one of the best at disrupting plays in college. One could even go as far as saying that when Bromley was drafted in the 3rd round, the only other remaining DT in the whole draft who could've been better than Jay based on his college resume was Will Sutton, who was selected 8 spots later. That is, of course, if Reese was going to draft a DT all along in round 3. However, if his plan was BPA, then there were other players at other positions who were available. Also, although it's clear today that Trai Turner turned out to be the best guard available in the 3rd round, i don't know if he was ranked higher at that time than other guards like Gabe Jackson or Brandon Thomas, who were both available when we drafted Bromley.
    Last edited by Armo_NYG_fan; 09-27-2017 at 12:47 AM.