Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bruins Re-sign David Pastrnak 6/40

On my phone but it's all over the interwebs...

Great signing... Sweeney is a pretty underrated contract negotiator... only bad one imo has been Backes (Beleskey was a steal at the time... everyone expected 5+ for him)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    On my phone but it's all over the interwebs...

Great signing... Sweeney is a pretty underrated contract negotiator... only bad one imo has been Backes (Beleskey was a steal at the time... everyone expected 5+ for him)

I still wouldn't call Backes a bad deal yet. I expected his first year in BOS to be difficult after spending so long in STL. If he regresses again this year then I'll say its a bad contract.

Come Join Us In The NHL Forum

Quote Originally Posted by OneManIsNoMan View Post
    I still wouldn't call Backes a bad deal yet. I expected his first year in BOS to be difficult after spending so long in STL. If he regresses again this year then I'll say its a bad contract.
    I just feel that he wasn't worth the contract at the time it was signed. That's why I'm factoring him

I just feel that he wasn't worth the contract at the time it was signed. That's why I'm factoring him

At the time of his signing I thought it was right on the money. He's brings a similar game to Bergeron and he makes just under $7 million a year.

At the time of his signing I thought it was right on the money. He's brings a similar game to Bergeron and he makes just under $7 million a year.
    His game was similar to bergeron 3 years ago... he's been showing a decline steadily the last several years

His game was similar to bergeron 3 years ago... he's been showing a decline steadily the last several years

In what way points?

In what way points?
    Yeah? His offensive production has dropped off...

Yeah? His offensive production has dropped off...

Ok so a single aspect of his game. He still brings defensive responsibility and plays a 3-zone game. He wasn't really brought in to be an offensive force, he was brought in for 3-zone play and leadership.

Ok so a single aspect of his game. He still brings defensive responsibility and plays a 3-zone game. He wasn't really brought in to be an offensive force, he was brought in for 3-zone play and leadership.
    You still don't pay a guy $6M to produce third line numbers... he hasn't been a 3 zone player on Bergys level in a while (may have never been that good tbh)... you pay forwards 6M only if they can provide you something offensively too

You still don't pay a guy $6M to produce third line numbers... he hasn't been a 3 zone player on Bergys level in a while (may have never been that good tbh)... you pay forwards 6M only if they can provide you something offensively too

It was his first season in Boston after spending 10 years in St. Louis and he didn't transition as easily as many thought he would (he admitted this himself). His S% was the 2nd worst of his career and his minutes dropped because he wasn't being used on the PK (like he should have been). I fully expect him to bounce back to a 20+ goal / 25+ assist year and if he does that along with playing all 3-zone then I'll gladly take him for $6 million.

As far as the Bergy comp goes, of course he's not to the level of Bergeron in all 3-zone (many are not), but his style of game is similar mean they are good in all 3-zone....not that Backes is of the same talent level as Bergeron.

It was his first season in Boston after spending 10 years in St. Louis and he didn't transition as easily as many thought he would (he admitted this himself). His S% was the 2nd worst of his career and his minutes dropped because he wasn't being used on the PK (like he should have been). I fully expect him to bounce back to a 20+ goal / 25+ assist year and if he does that along with playing all 3-zone then I'll gladly take him for $6 million.

As far as the Bergy comp goes, of course he's not to the level of Bergeron in all 3-zone (many are not), but his style of game is similar mean they are good in all 3-zone....not that Backes is of the same talent level as Bergeron.
    He's seen nearly a 20% year over year drop in production since 14/15... I agree that 3 zone play is valuable but in premium priced players, that doesn't take precedence. When the Bruins paid Backes 6M per they did it on the hope that he'd revert to his 25-30 goal self which he did essentially his whole career before he began this "decline". 20/25/45 isn't enough to warrant paying him 6M... some comps in that range:

Brock Nelson
    Patric Hornqvist
    Michael Frolik
    Kevin Hayes
    Justin Williams
    Jason Zucker

Of that list the best comps to him are probably Zucker and Nelson... would you pay either of those guys (actually, any of these guys) 6M per? Those are essentially your 20/25 guys...

Hell, Bryan Little just signed for less than 6M per...

He's seen nearly a 20% year over year drop in production since 14/15... I agree that 3 zone play is valuable but in premium priced players, that doesn't take precedence. When the Bruins paid Backes 6M per they did it on the hope that he'd revert to his 25-30 goal self which he did essentially his whole career before he began this "decline". 20/25/45 isn't enough to warrant paying him 6M... some comps in that range:

Brock Nelson
    Patric Hornqvist
    Michael Frolik
    Kevin Hayes
    Justin Williams
    Jason Zucker

Of that list the best comps to him are probably Zucker and Nelson... would you pay either of those guys (actually, any of these guys) 6M per? Those are essentially your 20/25 guys...

Hell, Bryan Little just signed for less than 6M per...

Backes scored 30 goals twice in his career and hasn't done it since 2010. If you look at Backes last 3 years in STL he was a 25G/28A guy, which is right where I expect him to return to this year. He's never been an offensive juggernaut and only put up 60+ point once in his 11 year career.

As for the guys you mentioned, none of them comp to Backes and what he brings for an entire body of work. You can't just pick guys with similar points and say here would you give these guys the same money. Backes is a more complete player than all the guys you have listed there. Not to mention these guys are all at different points in their career...

Nelson - 25yr old starting to come into his prime
    Williams - 35yr old and towards the end of his career
    Michael Frolik - hasn't scored over 20 goals in 11 years, doesn't hit and has bounced around the NHL
    Kevin Hayes - 24yr old, just entering his prime but still as soft as his brother Jimmy
    Jason Zucker - 25yr old, in/starting prime and last year was the first year he recorded over 30 points

Patric Hornqvist is maybe the closest comparable to Backes and he's a $4.25 camp hit....but he also signed his deal back in 2013 (3 years before Backes). Hornqvist also signed his deal the year after the lockout when the NHL was still a little shaky. Hornqvist also didn't become such a physical player until the last few seasons and at the end of the day I'd still take Backes. Look at the comps to Backes on CF and you'll see his contract it right in line with what it should be.

Backes scored 30 goals twice in his career and hasn't done it since 2010. If you look at Backes last 3 years in STL he was a 25G/28A guy, which is right where I expect him to return to this year. He's never been an offensive juggernaut and only put up 60+ point once in his 11 year career.

As for the guys you mentioned, none of them comp to Backes and what he brings for an entire body of work. You can't just pick guys with similar points and say here would you give these guys the same money. Backes is a more complete player than all the guys you have listed there. Not to mention these guys are all at different points in their career...

Nelson - 25yr old starting to come into his prime
    Williams - 35yr old and towards the end of his career
    Michael Frolik - hasn't scored over 20 goals in 11 years, doesn't hit and has bounced around the NHL
    Kevin Hayes - 24yr old, just entering his prime but still as soft as his brother Jimmy
    Jason Zucker - 25yr old, in/starting prime and last year was the first year he recorded over 30 points

Patric Hornqvist is maybe the closest comparable to Backes and he's a $4.25 camp hit....but he also signed his deal back in 2013 (3 years before Backes). Hornqvist also signed his deal the year after the lockout when the NHL was still a little shaky. Hornqvist also didn't become such a physical player until the last few seasons and at the end of the day I'd still take Backes. Look at the comps to Backes on CF and you'll see his contract it right in line with what it should be.
    I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here. 6M for a 45 point player who provides anything short of Bergeron level intangibles is just not worth it... As a winger Backes' intangibles are even further mitigated and his offensive production isn't there. His last year in St Louis wasn't a $6M season, and his first season in Boston was even worse than that... I'd say it was probably a bad contract unless you see a Larry Fitzgerald type turnaround where he just changes his entire playing style and becomes great again...

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here. 6M for a 45 point player who provides anything short of Bergeron level intangibles is just not worth it... As a winger Backes' intangibles are even further mitigated and his offensive production isn't there. His last year in St Louis wasn't a $6M season, and his first season in Boston was even worse than that... I'd say it was probably a bad contract unless you see a Larry Fitzgerald type turnaround where he just changes his entire playing style and becomes great again...

Time will tell.....

What's really sad is you and I are 100% of the activity in this thread

Bruins suffered defensively when Backes was on the ice. Out 301 forwards who played at least 60 games last season Backes ranked 284/301 in goaltender on ice save % when player is on the ice. Goalies had a 90.3% SV% when he was on the ice.

There are certainly other factors such as line combinations, but it was his 3rd worst percentage of his career, the other 2 years being his first two seasons. He also saw other near career lows in shooting %, team on ice shooting%.

Its not only offensive, but defensive production that we have seen slide from him.
    "Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling." - Bill Belichick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast