Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Brian Cushing suspended 10 games for PED violation

Such a promising career has been derailed by injuries and PED suspensions. Also, with the QB controversy in full swing, this is the last thing Texans brass want to deal with on top of a short week and the after-effects of a natural disaster.

Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has been suspended 10 games for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances, the league announced Wednesday.

Cushing will be eligible to return to Houston's active roster on Nov. 28, ahead of the team's game that week against the Baltimore Ravens.

It's a significant blow to a Houston team that was routed at home by the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 1. Cushing, 30, was concussed in Sunday's 29-7 defeat and already had been ruled out for the team's game at Cincinnati on Thursday night.

In a statement, Cushing's lawyer, Harvey Steinberg, said the veteran linebacker "is aware of the negative impact he has had on his team and most important his fans. It is with the deepest remorse that he humbly apologizes to his fans, teammates and coaches."

Cushing will not appeal, according to Steinberg.

The 10-game suspension will cost Cushing over $4 million, plus more if Houston attempts to recoup any of his signing bonus.

Cushing previously was suspended four games in 2010 for testing positive for HCG, a fertility drug that was on the NFL's banned-substances list.

The former first-round pick out of USC was the 2009 AP Defensive Rookie of the Year with the Texans. The honor was jeopardized by the first suspension, but he kept the award after a revote by The Associated Press' awards panel.

Cushing has had a checkered career since his sensational rookie season. Injuries curtailed the 2012 and 2013 seasons, when he got into a total of 12 games. He has never come close to matching his first-year production of 86 tackles, 47 assists, 4 sacks, 4 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles and 10 passes defensed.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ended-10-games

meh, not a big loss. He doesn't play that much anymore. He's a starter only in name. He is a great locker room guy has been the team captain since his rookie year, but he hasn't made a difference on the field in a while. He will probably finish out the season after his suspension and retire. Probably the 5th best texan of all time.
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Totally forgot about this guy

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

He had the potential to be really good. I was a huge fan of his at USC
    Official Kevin King Crew

Bernard took his job anyways. As rhino pointed out, good locker room guy, not much as a player anymore.

I didn't watch week 1, but the Texans are in major trouble this year.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Don't blame the guy a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Such a promising career has been derailed by injuries and PED suspensions.
    Arguably the career was only promising due to PEDs.

Let the kids play!

It's almost like the Texans were expecting this to happen when they drafted Zach Cunningham.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Arguably the career was only promising due to PEDs.
    This.

I'd love for the nfl to just do a league wide sweep to see how many people take steroids like the mlb did in 2003.. I bet there's a good portion of the league that juices.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    I'd love for the nfl to just do a league wide sweep to see how many people take steroids like the mlb did in 2003.. I bet there's a good portion of the league that juices.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Only shot of that ever happening is if research shows that steroids cause CTE so the NFL has a potential out in those lawsuits.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)