Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

2017/18 Toronto Maple Leafs Training Camp/Preseason Thread

Training Camp is finally here! It was rare for a large portion of Leafs fans to actually want the summer to end quickly. The Leafs look to build on a season that saw them go from last place in the league to a hard fought, OT riddled, 6 game series against the Presidents Trophy winning Washington Capitals. They also achieved this while icing 6 to 8 rookies a night.

Feel free to post all your thoughts on the team starting back up here. Preseason game threads will also appear in this thread.

Camp opens- Friday, September 15th
    Location- Niagra Falls, Ontario.

Preseason Schedule
    *Games on the 22nd, 25th and 30th will be played at the Ricoh Colliseum. The game against Montreal on the 27th will be played at Centre Videotron in Quebec City.

Monday, September 18th @ Ottawa
    Tuesday, September 19th vs Ottawa
    Friday, September 22nd vs Buffalo*
    Saturday, September 23rd @ Buffalo
    Monday, September 25th vs Montreal*
    Wednesday, September 27th @ Montreal
    Friday, September 29th @ Detroit
    Saturday, September 30th vs Detroit*

Go Leafs go.

I can't wait for preseason to begin!!
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Here are some of the potential questions and storylines of this yr's training camp:

But there are questions that remain, and they will begin to be answered in training camp:

1. Who will Patrick Marleau play with?

This is probably the biggest question entering camp. The soon-to-be 38-year-old has first-line speed, second-line scoring talent and third-line checking ability. The Leafs already have left wingers in those roles: James van Riemsdyk, Leo Komarov and Zach Hyman. Marleau would be a natural fit with Auston Matthews, but could start the year with Nazem Kadri.

2. How good is Timothy Liljegren?

The first-round pick will get a long look-see. The defenceman was rated much higher a year ago — before a bout of mononucleosis cost him nearly half a season — but fell at the NHL entry draft to 17th overall, where the Leafs felt lucky to pick him. His performance in camp will determine if he’s a Leaf, a Marlie or heading back to Europe.

3. What will the defence look like?

The top four are set: Morgan Rielly, Ron Hainsey, Jake Gardiner and Nikita Zaitsev. Barring a trade, the bottom pair remains a question: Connor Carrick and Martin Marincin are returning; Liljegren is a long-shot but an option; Calle Rosen and Andreas Borgman were signed from Sweden; and Marlies Travis Dermott and Andrew Nielsen might get a call-up.

4. Will Kasperi Kapanen make the team?

Kapanen probably deserves it. He’s fast, can score and kill penalties and looked like he belonged at the end of last season and the playoffs. But he can be sent to the Marlies without waivers, which may be where the Leafs will park him until something opens up at forward.

5. Will the Leafs start the season healthy?

At this time last year, goalie Freddie Andersen was coming off a summertime concussion and role player Nikita Soshnikov never got quite got going, missing camp with a lower-body injury. But the Leafs were by and large healthy, a big reason why they were able to make the playoffs while teams like Buffalo (Jack Eichel) and Tampa Bay (Steven Stamkos) suffered through key injuries.
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ning-camp.html
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

when do we get the training camp roster? wonder if we have any PTOs of interest.

Polak back on PTO... ughh..

Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98:31850773
    Polak back on PTO... ughh..
    Not surprised. There was some speculation this was going to happen.

What are everyone's expectations this season?

Would this season be a failure if we don't make the playoffs?

Tbh, I expect a bit of a regression. It always happens in year 2 with the kids. Wouldn't be surprised if we missed out.

Honestly top 3 in the Atlantic might get weird this year. I have us, Tampa, and Buffalo as the best 3 on paper (assuming all big guys are healthy). Its still anyones game other than Detroit maybe though. I do expect Ottawa and Montreal to be worse, Florida about the same. Boston about the same.

anyone know when nhl18 comes out?

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    anyone know when nhl18 comes out?
    Tomorrow. Sept. 15th.

I could see the Leafs taking a step back. They won't be fooling anybody this year. But I could also see them winning the divsion. It's going to be an interesting year. If they can top last season that would be awesome. Can't remember the last time I had that much fun watching hockey.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ng-camp-roster

There's the rooster. I mean roster.

I had no idea Timothy Liljegren had the option to play with the Marlies. They didn't say that on draft day.

Also, no captain will be named this yr.

As for expectations, I can't help it. It would be disappointing if they didn't make it. I think they are good enough to be a playoff team but I can understand regression and the Leafs did get lucky with injuries last season.

Is tmw's game televised?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast