Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 163
  1. #106
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,646
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    This is one case where the big market is both the boon.. and the bust... He'd have a better chance to getting to do both hitting and pitching in a smaller, "losing team" market...

    Where in NY, if he's not the best, he won't get that shot.. and a playoff team he's probably not going to be a top 9 bat on the team.
    This is true. How important is hitting? Is it more important than the largest media market in MLB? The winningest franchise in MLB history? A team with a tradition and legacy of excellence? A young team with a brilliant future? You get the gist.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



  2. #107
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,557
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Tanaka and Matsui are the ONLY ones to sell to Otani.....

    Those two are HUGE heroes back at their mainland. They will wine and dine him and sell it to him easily...You could also include Kuroda and that other useless pitcher who went 0-7 back in the Torre years, forgot his name...
    Don't forget the legendary Kei Igawa

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    98
    i disagree with that. We have Headly batting DH in the playoffs once Bird returned and once Frazier took over at 3B. Even if Frazier walks, chances are Torres at some point in the year will take over 3b, leaving Headly as the primary DH. I think Otani can easily be better than Headly hitting wise. Headly sucks.

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,513
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    This is true. How important is hitting? Is it more important than the largest media market in MLB? The winningest franchise in MLB history? A team with a tradition and legacy of excellence? A young team with a brilliant future? You get the gist.
    You need to remember that his numbers are at he equal of AAA... That means, in the means of winning, the Yanks will be less apt to have Otani hit simply because he's probably not going to be good enough to bump someone else out of the spot.

    A loser like the A's would probably be a better fit simply because he'd rate better compared to what they have on the team and their minors... for the Yanks, He'll probably just one of many... You assume that his rankings meaning he'll just step in and be a star.. well, Look at Matsui's hitting stats for both Japan and MLB.. Many japanese players come over here and see the same dip in numbers like they would coming from AAA.. (Ichiro being the exception.. but his game was built on pure speed and he was the fastest playing in any league back then.. by far) So don't count on him being the DH just because he's signed.. he won't unless he proves he'll be the best person for the spot... and that won't be easy...

    Pitching is also no guarantee here (or there either). You are looking at him like he will just come here and be an instant star... the normal changing of numbers says.. he'll come here and be on par with an above average AAA player trying to crack in.. both hitting and pitching... but the reality is.. no matter who he signs with, he'll have about the same chance to star this season in the Majors as Moncada or Torres will... That's reality... I do hope he signs with the Yanks... because the numbers indicate that he will be a very good player... but I'm not sold on instant stardom like many here seem to feel he will be...
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies
    3. Whoever is playing the Red Sox tonight!

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,557
    He will be posted

    http://syndication.bleacherreport.co...hters.amp.html

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    22,792
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    He will be posted

    http://syndication.bleacherreport.co...hters.amp.html

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    If the by some stroke of loch the Yankees land him, he will make a friggin ton of money in endorsements here. I would argue more than California because of Tanaka and Matsui laying that footing.




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    If the by some stroke of loch the Yankees land him, he will make a friggin ton of money in endorsements here. I would argue more than California because of Tanaka and Matsui laying that footing.
    This is very true and don't forget how the Yankees have ties with Japan to rebroadcast games there. The desire to expand that would increase exponentially.

    Tanaka, Matsui, Kuroda, even Ichiro had success here. I'd really stack the deck and now that Ichiro's career is probably over, I'd offer him a job in the Yankees organization also.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,646
    Shohei Otani is going to advance MLB’s rotation revolution
    By Joel Sherman November 14, 2017 | 8:52pm

    http://nypost.com/2017/11/14/shohei-...on-revolution/
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



  9. #114
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    732
    MLB chief legal counsel Dan Halem said he expects a deal on a posting system to be approved by early December.

    why wait just get it done now

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A Firehouse
    Posts
    26,333
    Quote Originally Posted by pinstripezac View Post
    MLB chief legal counsel Dan Halem said he expects a deal on a posting system to be approved by early December.

    why wait just get it done now
    Because it's still being negotiated then it needs to be voted on by owners..

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    5,153
    j
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Because it's still being negotiated then it needs to be voted on by owners..
    They ll get a deal done this winter without a question. Way to many teams would love to get a chance to sign him and its way to beneficial for the teams that have a true shot at him because he'll be so cheap compared to how valuable he is going to be.

    IMO the more i read what he's looking for, the more difficult its going to be for anyone else to beat what we have to offer in terms of an all around package

    Jonathan Mayo scouting report

    "I saw Griffey in the Minor Leagues and A-Rod as an amateur," one international scouting director said. "The buzz about Ohtani is similar to those guys and guys like Strasburg. Compared to Griffey and A-Rod, he isn't as polished a hitter and probably doesn't have the same upside. But he does have the chance to be a Strasburg. What is unique is that he does both."
    While scouting directors contacted for this story all did seem to lean toward liking Ohtani more as a pitcher, they generally agreed on two things: 1. Ohtani is good enough to hit at the highest level. 2. He really wants to do both, if possible, once he gets here.


    Jon Paul Morosi joins MLB Central to talk about the recent reports that Japanese phenom Shohei Ohtani hopes to be in MLB by next season
    The Ohtani scouting report
    On the mound, Ohtani has as good a fastball as anyone in baseball. He's been up to 102 mph and touches triple digits with some regularity. Ohtani throws a nasty splitter and a slider that's just as good, and it all comes from a loose, athletic, 6-foot-5 frame and delivery.
    "He's every bit of a top-end-of-the-rotation starter," said another international scouting director who saw Ohtani pitch recently. "He threw well the other day, even if his command was a little off. The stuff is there. He has all the pitches he needs. He's 23 and everything works. He's shown he can put it together in the Japan League. For me, he would go straight to the big leagues and figure it out there."
    That report alone -- three plus pitches, with a tall and athletic frame to go along with easily repeatable mechanics -- would be more than enough to have teams line up to try and sign Ohtani. But even those who feel the arm is ahead of the bat agree there are some impressive offensive tools to consider.
    "He's a big, strong guy," the second scouting director said. "At 6-foot-5, he's a long-lever guy. He has shortened up his swing a little and has the chance to hit for some power. When you have a top-end-of-rotation guy, he's more of a pitcher for me. But he has the chance to be a good hitter. He's a very, very good athlete."
    "Ohtani is already hitting really well at [Japan's] highest level," a third director said. "But you don't see the pitching there that you see here."
    The first scouting director said he'd put Ohtani's raw power among the best of any player at any level currently and also had recorded home-to-first times at 3.9 seconds, which is well above average and a part of his game not often discussed. All agreed that if Ohtani wanted to just hit, teams would be very interested in his services.
    What a two-way big leaguer might look like
    Both Hunter Greene and Brendan McKay were given the opportunity to continue as two-way players at the start of their pro careers, at least briefly. Greene got some at-bats as a designated hitter while preparing to make his debut on the mound, and he will now focus on pitching. McKay, however, will get the chance to continue to develop both sides of his game during his first full season of pro ball in 2018.
    That, of course, will happen in the Minor Leagues. Ohtani will presumably be doing it at the highest level from day one. But he has the tools to do it, which is why even the most grizzled scouting vet gets almost euphoric when considering his future.
    "I've been doing this 26 years, seen as many players as anybody, but I've never seen a skill set like this," the first director said, noting that the only real negative has been some nagging injuries that have made it a bit more difficult to see him. "This guy is polished like McKay with Greene's tools, but he's faster than Greene. There should be giddiness; no one has ever seen it. We'll see how it turns out."

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    22,792
    MLBPA is trying to stop the posting?




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    MLBPA is trying to stop the posting?
    Well.....As I suspected, but did not expect MLBPA to care or get involved. Apparently they are now objecting to the size of Otani's compensation in comparison to the $20M going to Ham Fighters. Reading between the lines, it may be union's attempt to dissuade Otani from coming over now, waiting the two years to cash in big.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



  14. #119
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A Firehouse
    Posts
    26,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    MLBPA is trying to stop the posting?
    MLBPA is a joke.

    If a player wants to come over and forgo a possible big pay day for a few years, let him do it.

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,646
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    MLBPA is a joke.

    If a player wants to come over and forgo a possible big pay day for a few years, let him do it.
    To everyone except it's members! They protect their own, particularly the mega multi year contract players. They insure players get their share of the multi billion dollar pot generated by MLB. If not owners would still have a reserve clause, no base salaries, no pensions ect. Players would be treated as property of the team. Indentured servitude akin to the minor leagues today.

    I agree Otani should be free to decide when and where he plays without interference!
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •