Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Otani coming to MLB next season!

Shohei Otani will leave hundreds of millions of dollars on the table to play in MLB next season

Jeff Passan
    MLB columnist
    Yahoo SportsSep 13, 2017, 2:31 AM

"Otani, it seems, does not mind the prospect of giving up literally hundreds of millions of dollars to play in the greatest league in the world. Multiple reports out of Japan on Wednesday morning there said the same thing...."

https://sports.yahoo.com/shohei-otan...063136007.html
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein

Buy Buy Buy!

Hide your mother, hide your kids, hide your wife because we should sell them all in order to bring this man on over to the Bronx
    Yankees Farm System

Nothing new here.

Also, hearing mlb is going to try and change the posting system, again. Just like they did before Tanaka came over.

Possibly where the Japanese team will get 15% of the players salary. Doing away with the 20 million cap.

Will save mlb money, so of course they want to do it. If this happens not sure how Japanese teams, nor the Japanese players will react to it.

Alot is new! First it's confirmed he's coming over next season. Prior to this announcement all we had was speculation and innuendo. Well known he wanted to play in MLB, but nothing definitive on his arrival. Second, Ham Fighters have agreed to post him. This was a formality of sorts due to his contract which clearly allows him to opt out for MLB any time he desired.

The posting fee is still being negotiated as stated. Chances are it's a flat fee and doesn't effect negotiations, as reported this should come to resolution in November. "The fee is likely to remain flat, allowing Otani to shop for his preferred team, as opposed to the past, when it was part of a blind bidding and handcuffed the player to the major league team that bid the most."
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein

Yankeesource‏ @YankeeSource 3m3 minutes ago

Hicks
    DH Otani
    Judge
    Sanchez
    Bird
    Castro
    Gregorius
    Frazier
    Headley

There's a lot of power in that lineup.

Seems someone is counting their chickens.....

I think a team like the Padres or Phillies would be good places for him

They can guarantee him MLB playing time both pitching and hitting

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Yankeesource‏ @YankeeSource 3m3 minutes ago

Hicks
    DH Otani
    Judge
    Sanchez
    Bird
    Castro
    Gregorius
    Frazier
    Headley

There's a lot of power in that lineup.

Seems someone is counting their chickens.....
    I'll be at least 10x as sad as when we botched signing Yoan Moancada if we don't find a way to bribe someone to get this done.
    Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    I'll be at least 10x as sad as when we botched signing Yoan Moancada if we don't find a way to bribe someone to get this done.
    I agree. New CBA rules have increased competition. We could potentially have MLB welfare teams (revenue sharing) bidding for his service and that of other young IFA's in the near future. There really is no serious barrier for entry, except possibly the posting fees. However they are still being negotiated so even that element remains up in the air.

Otani coming to MLB next season!

How much do the Yanks have in international pool money to offer Otani?
    http://www.logo-designer.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Real-Madrid-football-club-logo-design-branding-identity-Ruben-Ferlo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chapin78 View Post
    Around 6.5-7.0 million.

They had I believe 8 and used 1.1 on a Cuban player, if I recall. My numbers might be off slightly.

However, I don't believe a million or two would be a deal breaker for this guy. He is passing up on a possible deal as good or greater than Tanaka got. So he could be costing himself 100-200 million by coming over now. So I think it's really going to be the team that allows him to hit and pitch. Even if it's hitting seldom.

The Yankees and Red Sox were said to have gathered the most money at around $8 million total, though it’s impossible to know how much is ticketed to Latin prospects.

New CBA rules: if he comes now he can only get what teams have left in their international allotment. Teams start with between $4.75 million and $5.75 million, and a few acquired extra monies to enhance their chances at Otani (the Yankees, Red Sox and others) but much of the money has been committed to Latin players, and Otani get only what’s left of a team’s allotment, which could be a fraction of the full amount

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Nothing new here.

Also, hearing mlb is going to try and change the posting system, again. Just like they did before Tanaka came over.

Possibly where the Japanese team will get 15% of the players salary. Doing away with the 20 million cap.

Will save mlb money, so of course they want to do it. If this happens not sure how Japanese teams, nor the Japanese players will react to it.
    wow that would be a massive pay cut for Otani's current team. So wonder if they would get 15% of the signing bonus and the contract or just the contract. I was hoping it would go up, Doesn't count against the luxury tax and the higher the few goes the fewer team that can afford it so we would have a better chance

Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    lossing Moacada to the Soxs was horrible but losing Otani would be way worse

the Yankee have signed to big IFA's and spent about 1m on each so they have 5-6m left which is as much or more than any other team.

Its all going to depend on how much these team are willing to let him hit as a couple of the articles said today. The fact we don't have a DH for next yr could really help us.

i just don't see those 2 teams being a factor. He wants to play against the best competition and i don't see him waiting 5 yrs to win. I think he ends up on a younger team that is close to competing for a long time, he is going to want to play in a place he is comfortable and ultimately where he can hit.

I like our chances alot especially since we have had a very good relationship with several propionate Asian players, we have a great young team where he'd absolutely fit right in and Joe G said today he could definitely see a pitcher dhing a couple days a week if the were good enough. IMO we have to be a top 3 destination for him

Who is in the running? I know money is not the issue with Otani, it's more about the comp and playing the game at the highest level. However is he willing to take 300K? I don't think so.

Teams that exceeded their bonus pools incur a penalty and are unable to sign any player for more than $300,000 during the 2017-18 signing period. The Cubs, Dodgers, Giants and Royals will be in their second year of the penalty, while the A's, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Padres and Reds will be in their first penalty year. That's more than 1/3 of MLB teams unable to go beyond 300K. I like our chances, assuming everyone plays by the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Who is in the running? I know money is not the issue with Otani, it's more about the comp and playing the game at the highest level. However is he willing to take 300K? I don't think so.

Teams that exceeded their bonus pools incur a penalty and are unable to sign any player for more than $300,000 during the 2017-18 signing period. The Cubs, Dodgers, Giants and Royals will be in their second year of the penalty, while the A's, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Padres and Reds will be in their first penalty year. That's more than 1/3 of MLB teams unable to go beyond 300K. I like our chances, assuming everyone plays by the rules.
    I think it comes down to Angels, Red Sox and Yankees.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast