Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Background check for voting

Yes, that's what Kobach wants to installed nationally.

Like I mention, they want to insure that Trump and just republicans win from now on.

Mass voter suppression for the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Yes, that's what Kobach wants to installed nationally.

Like I mention, they want to insure that Trump and just republicans win from now on.

Mass voter suppression for the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I think this has more to do with gun rights than voting suppression... it comes out of John R. Lott's testimony and commentary in the Tribune. It's a flashy argument, mean't to highlight that voting rights = gun rights.

This coming from the author of "More guns, Less Crime"

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

One of the very first things anyone needs to prove before implementing new policy is whether there is a real problem. Is in-person voter fraud occurring and what is the frequency? Yes it is and at roughly two votes for every nearly 200 million. Then will those changes be effective? Will background checks stop those two cases? Maybe. Will it hinder people from voting? Absolutely.

So brass tax, the pros and cons? It might get rid of a one in a 100 million problem and it will discourage a whole lot more people from registering to vote.

Bottom line: nah bro. Get your voter suppression bull**** out of my face Kris Kobach.

Do you have a source for that claim?

2 votes out of 200 M seems awfully low and don't really believe you tbh

this could have also gone in the voter fraud thread.

what is the intent on background checks for voting? if the intent is to make sure that only those that are eligible to vote are the only people that are registering and voting, then what the problem is?

the only people that should be registering/voting are those that are legally eligible to register/vote.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    One of the very first things anyone needs to prove before implementing new policy is whether there is a real problem. Is in-person voter fraud occurring and what is the frequency? Yes it is and at roughly two votes for every nearly 200 million. Then will those changes be effective? Will background checks stop those two cases? Maybe. Will it hinder people from voting? Absolutely.

So brass tax, the pros and cons? It might get rid of a one in a 100 million problem and it will discourage a whole lot more people from registering to vote.

Bottom line: nah bro. Get your voter suppression bull**** out of my face Kris Kobach.
    when there are many people registering/being registered to vote that are not eligible, then there is a problem. this has been happening. one person recently was even convicted and in prison for registering dead voters for Democrats.

Unfortunately that's not the way it works. About a decade ago a federal law required public pools to have their drains replaced so that someone could not reasonably be sucked to the bottom of the pool and drown. It turned out that fewer than 10 people had died that way in the decade before the law. The result of the law was that thousands of public pools had to close down because they didn't have the money to do the required retrofit, and many never re-opened. It's just far too easy to create new laws. I wish congress spent as much time striking laws from the books as they spend adding pointless new ones.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Do you have a source for that claim?

2 votes out of 200 M seems awfully low and don't really believe you tbh
    It's not 2 votes out of 200M, but it's so marginal that we shouldn't be wasting millions of tax dollars and restricting freedoms of American citizens to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    It's not 2 votes out of 200M, but it's so marginal that we shouldn't be wasting millions of tax dollars and restricting freedoms of American citizens to correct it.
    Making people show an ID before they vote is not restricting freedoms. States also offer free ids for anyone who wants them before voting and everyone should have one anyways.

Give me a good reason why someone shouldn't have an ID?

Here's a good summary of reports on voter fraud incidence.

https://www.brennancenter.org/analys...ter-fraud-myth
    this my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Raider_Mackin View Post
    Just another attempt to suppress the vote by republicans and change the demographics in their favor. Nothing new.
    Give me good reasons why people shouldn't have an ID and how that suppresses the vote

Just another attempt to suppress the vote by republicans and change the demographics in their favor. Nothing new.

Automatic registration would put a lot of this nonsense to rest.
    Last edited by Raider_Mackin; 09-13-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK:31849223
    this could have also gone in the voter fraud thread.

what is the intent on background checks for voting? if the intent is to make sure that only those that are eligible to vote are the only people that are registering and voting, then what the problem is?

the only people that should be registering/voting are those that are legally eligible to register/vote.

when there are many people registering/being registered to vote that are not eligible, then there is a problem. this has been happening. one person recently was even convicted and in prison for registering dead voters for Democrats.
    Bull **** but to be expected.

In order to vote you should have to show your Social Security Card, Birth Certificate, photos of your birth with a recognizable American landmark in the background to verify you were born in the United States, 2 witnesses that will testify that you are an American Citizen, a DNA blood test coming back over 50% American and a receipt for purchase of a product "made in America".

Only then can you vote.

80% of people supported showing an ID to vote and only 19% opposed according to an Gallup poll taking last year around Election time.

Background checks is over the top but making someone show an ID is a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    80% of people supported showing an ID to vote and only 19% opposed according to an Gallup poll taking last year around Election time.

Background checks is over the top but making someone show an ID is a good thing
    Do we make laws and observe constitutional protections based on majority rule? I seem to remember the founders saying something about the purpose of the Constitution was to protect the rights of the minority (group with less than 50% not minorities).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast