Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Just imagine if this had happened to JJ Watt.

OK, he would probably congratulate the police officer and give him his first class ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    It's just weird how the thread started out with the claim that Bennett was lying.

Lying on his stomach?

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Lol anyone would be a whiney ***** if they were treated the way he was.

If I got handcuffed face down on the curb with an officer pointing a gun at my head and threatening to blow my brains out, I'd have a problem with it too.

Law Enforcement in the United States needs a complete overhaul. From training to practice, it's a major failure. Sure there's good cops out there, but at this point, there's far too many improperly trained police on a power trip.
    This is very true. The cameras were a good start. Wonder why they haven't released body cam footage which there should be, right?

There should always be a body cam on as soon as they get a call. I feel like so many of these incidents would be a lot more cut and dry and you could remove a lot of mistrust in cops.
    Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Seriously. I'd be irate. Anyone here would be too.

We hold everyone and everything accountable and to high standards...just not police. They can make mistakes, and when they do, they should be held accountable just like anyone else would be.

Where's he lying? What is wrong with being upset about that? He's a black man who had a police pull a gun on him...he should've been terrified. He should be pissed.

And something's gotta be done about these body cams never being on. What the hell is the point if they're always off? Would make a lot of this easier to deal with if we could see everything that happened. If the cops did nothing wrong, we'd know.
    100%, glad someone else notices this.
    Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    The cops said that they found him hiding and he got up and ran away. In that scenario - responding to an active shooter and a guy you find runs away when he sees you - I think the cops have to bring the guy down. I think that's just doing their jobs, honestly, with that fact pattern if it's truly what happened. I don't think they did anything wrong in that case but it's reflective that we have a real problem if Bennett as an innocent man feels the need to run when he sees the cop and thinks they'll shoot him. If that's how he perceives the police who can blame him for running and freaking out. And if someone runs/freaks out like that the cop might very well take action not out of racism but him thinking Bennett is legit threat.

Cops being racist and prejudice leads to POC being skeptical and them being skeptical makes them more likely to disrespect/distrust the police which leads to police having ingrained prejudice even of they didn't to begin with and the circle keeps going and going and going.

We can implement all the training we want but that circle is going to be exceptionally difficult to break. Even with better training there's still going to be that built-in skepticism from POC and that's going to alwaysmake tension.
    If he got up and ran as soon as he saw a cop, then yes that sounds like that would be a problem with Bennett acting improperly. That's why a body cam should always be on, since the footage would be so helpful in parsing all of this out.
    Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Agreed on all points.
    and I disagree.... When you have a population like we do in the United states with the gun laws the way they are etc etc etc and the amount of crime we have daily bad officers slip through the crack... Yet we need an overhaul? That is just flat out dumb... The majority of cops are fine... its the minority that have been the issue and that minority is most likely less than 1 percent of actual officers but because anytime an officer does something bad it gets story of the month esp if its a white cop on black citizen. How about Bennett doesnt run when the cops are telling everyone to freeze? Na that is way to much to ask for right? Its far better to run and then blame the Cops after or bring out the race card. Funny how the there is no video of any of the other black people that were in the club being forced down by cops... They probably didnt run and actually listened to the officers but yo **** THAT YOLO.
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 09-11-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Just imagine if this had happened to JJ Watt.

OK, he would probably congratulate the police officer and give him his first class ticket.
    JJ Watt likely wouldnt have run... He would have listened because JJ Watt isnt trying to make a big spectacle of black guy vs the flag or black guy vs white cop etc etc etc. If every other member of that club was white and they only chased down bennett because he was black that would warrant something but there is no ****ing way. They told him to stop and he ran after hiding behind something... Doesnt look guilty at all lol. The Police have asked the NFL to investigate... I cant wait till this comes out and bennett looks like even more of a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    and I disagree.... When you have a population like we do in the United states with the gun laws the way they are etc etc etc and the amount of crime we have daily bad officers slip through the crack... Yet we need an overhaul? That is just flat out dumb... The majority of cops are fine... its the minority that have been the issue and that minority is most likely less than 1 percent of actual officers but because anytime an officer does something bad it gets story of the month esp if its a white cop on black citizen. How about Bennett doesnt run when the cops are telling everyone to freeze? Na that is way to much to ask for right? Its far better to run and then blame the Cops after or bring out the race card. Funny how the there is no video of any of the other black people that were in the club being forced down by cops... They probably didnt run and actually listened to the officers but yo **** THAT YOLO.
    Most officers don't have a college degree or their degree doesn't focus on the law, more on investigating, yet they are expected to know the law like someone who goes to school for almost 8 years? Nah not working for me.

PROCESSING

Maybe you don't run when you see cops walking around all paranoid while they're on an active shooter call.

Bennett is a blowhard, but I don't think you can discern much of anything from that video because you have no idea what took place prior to him being cuffed. That said, to hell with cops. Never met a cop I've ever felt that was trustworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    Bennett is a blowhard, but I don't think you can discern much of anything from that video because you have no idea what took place prior to him being cuffed. That said, to hell with cops. Never met a cop I've ever felt that was trustworthy.
    Seriously?

Before any race relations can get better the tension needs to be reduced. Let's be real, if you're a black man surrounded by cops how can you not feel like they're out to get you? And if you're a cop in an African American community you're probably going to have your guard up with the tension that exists. African Americans feel cops hate them and cops feel African Americans hate them. If that's the environment we live in you're of course gonna have cops feel extra threatened by African Americans. You're of course going to have African Americans disrespect/distrust cops and escalate situations.

Racism and racist acts in this country has created an "on guard" scenario that encourages more incidents that are interpreted as racism that encourage even more of an "on guard" scenario. That's the cycle we live in. Not to be pessimistic but I really don't see how it gets better. I really don't see how deep rooted issues like that can ever just go away. Cops aren't going to get over the stigma that African Americans hate them/are out to get them and African Americans won't ever stop thinking that about cops. And if that's the attitude these incidents will never stop IMO.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Spot on

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Most officers don't have a college degree or their degree doesn't focus on the law, more on investigating, yet they are expected to know the law like someone who goes to school for almost 8 years? Nah not working for me.
    I'd like to see the data behind this information considering each state and locality have their own requirements.

Though not a police officer, I have a degree in Criminal Justice and Finance. Many of my peers who were in my criminal justice program are now police officers and we certainly delved into the law more than anything else during our studies.

City of Champions

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast