Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Great post.
    Thanks for your earlier post helping to explain my point. The "racism" accusations were probably about to snowball.

Anyhow, I want to start a group called "Mens Lives Matter" since the vast majority of police shooting victims are men.

I mean, there must be a sexist conspiracy in play here. There's literally no other explanation!

Women must be working with police to oppress men. Anyone that doesn't agree is sexist. Probably NAZI's too.

End sarcasm.

(You know how far the "Mens Lives Matter" movement would go? It would go nowhere because 99% of people would be honest enough to admit that men commit far more serious violence than women and thus find themselves in contact with police at higher rates than women)

At the end of the day my entire point is to save as many lives as possible by focusing on the root cause of early death AND higher levels of police contact for black people. No sane, rational or empathetic person wants this to continue. We need some serious cultural change in America- not limited to the black community. I do think men (generally speaking) are responsible for too much violence in America. We need more working class living wage jobs and we should also promote the nuclear family. It's just a fact that children in single parent households are far more likley to commit crime. Black, white...whichever.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    Thanks for your earlier post helping to explain my point. The "racism" accusations were probably about to snowball.

Anyhow, I want to start a group called "Mens Lives Matter" since the vast majority of police shooting victims are men.

I mean, there must be a sexist conspiracy in play here. There's literally no other explanation!

Women must be working with police to oppress men. Anyone that doesn't agree is sexist. Probably NAZI's too.

End sarcasm.

(You know how far the "Mens Lives Matter" movement would go? It would go nowhere because 99% of people would be honest enough to admit that men commit far more serious violence than women and thus find themselves in contact with police at higher rates than women)

At the end of the day my entire point is to save as many lives as possible by focusing on the root cause of early death AND higher levels of police contact for black people. No sane, rational or empathetic person wants this to continue. We need some serious cultural change in America- not limited to the black community. I do think men (generally speaking) are responsible for too much violence in America. We need more working class living wage jobs and we should also promote the nuclear family. It's just a fact that children in single parent households are far more likley to commit crime. Black, white...whichever.
    Nice try but you're forgetting that men can't be the targets of sexism because all men are cheating *******s who just sleep around and hate black people, especially white men. Check your facts!

But yeah, no, I've always found the idea that police officers would ever act so recklessly without any real reason to be ridiculous. These are people with families that need their jobs. Even if they did just have an irrational and outdated hate for black people, much like anyone else, they have a lot to lose by doing things that could easily result in losing their jobs and livelihood. It doesn't really add up.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 09-14-2017 at 12:24 AM.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    This. And honestly I'm shocked that so many are alright with it. Like how are you ok with someone bring in control of your life with what equates to a semester of training? Hell even to take x-rays it takes 18 months of training. People need to wake up and realize that policing in this country is very inadequate.
    Police officers are not in control of my life...I am. I abide by the law. Have minimal contact with the police.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    For sure. But I don't think police need to know how to diagnose or treat it. I think they need to recognize mental illness and be better trained on how to de-escalate conflict.
    Depression is a mental illness. Tell me someone who can correctly ID depression in first contact 100% of the time accurately. Can't be done.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBrotha View Post
    Soooo now because I'm black I fit into the "demographic" of being violent. I wish I was misquoting you but this is basically what your alluding to. There is no justification for any weak minded preconception to think that one race of people is more violent then the other. We need to be better than this
    You're ignoring circumstance and location. If you're a black man in Hollywood hills, dressed nicely and doing nothing wrong. No suspicion at all. If you're in Chicago, dressed in a black hoodie with your pants around your ankles and running from something...There's a reasonable level of suspicion.

City of Champions

Hamburger, You've done a good job of posting my thoughts, just far more eloquently. Not much in the way of opposition either; just some people uncomfortable about the truth in the statistics.

I will say this on the Bennett situation; let the facts all come out. Far too often we all run to our sides before all the information comes out. We don't need a march or any other extreme displays. We need the investigation to be completed before we draw any conclusions about this particular case.

If we ever really want to get rid of racism I do think we need to really examine the reasons for it. I feel like there are two types of racism:

1) White supremacy. The belief that minorities are inherently inferior to whites.

2) Stereotyping. Associating negative behavior with minorities.

The first one, I can't say I've been exposed to much as a white person. I don't know anyone who thinks like that or at least they don't tell me. I know it feels like with some of the rallies that it's still alive and well. I do wonder how prevalent it really is though. If you see back to back weekends with rallies for white supremacy that makes it seem huge but it's not like that's a huge percentage of the population. But I don't know enough people in the country to accurately say how widespread this is. And honestly, I don't know that you can really do anything about that type of racism. Someone who thinks minorities are inferior likely won't have an epiphany. It does feel that this goes down generation to generation so hopefully that continues and it mostly dies out.

The other type of racism - stereotyping - is the one I think we see more of. And to address that we really need to critically examine the reasons for the stereotyping. As has been pointed out there's more gun violence in black communities. So that forms a stereotype. And it's not like stereotyping is limited to race. If a guy wears boat shoes, chubbies and a polo people assume he's a rich frat boy. I'm sure you've all seen the memes about that being the outfit for "you can beat me up but my dad will sue you". Like it or not stereotyping is a huge part of society. We do it all the time. It's just that many of those example we don't really think about in the same light because it's not really detrimental. But the concept is the same. You take a characteristic and you associate it with a behavior and assume that behavior in anyone who has that characteristic.

Stereotyping is wrong but I'd be surprised if every single person in this country isn't guilty of it in some way. It sounds nice to say "stop stereotyping" but is that really a solution? Is that something that people can turn off entirely? I honestly don't think so and that's a huge problem when it comes to race.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Alright, it appears this discussion has run its course for the NFL main forum. If you'd like to continue the discussion on race and the politics of police violence against people of color please do so in the politics or race forums.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789