Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

2017-2018 College Prospect Watch/Discussion Thread

Rosen/Darnold pick #1
    WR pick #2 round 2
    CB pick #3 round 2
    O-line (wherever our weakness manifests) pick #4 round 3
    LB pick #5 round 3
    RB pick #6 round 4

Pass rusher via free agency. CB via free agency. RB via free agency.

You could switch that order around some but as of now that's how I see our needs. As far as priority positions. I'll probably fill that in with 3 names for each position as the season plays out. Will probably mix the order up a tad as well. Landing Cousins would also change the position order. Same if we have to trade up for a QB. Will edit this post over the coming months.

Darnold QB USC
    Rosen QB UCLA
    Sutton WR SMU
    Key DE/OLB LSU
    Josh Allen QB Wyo
    Barkely RB PSU
    Trey Adams OT Wash
    McFadden CB FSU

Probably my top group of players at the moment, might even be in the order I like them, who knows. It's been two weeks.

Darnold had a decent game last night. I still think he relies on rolling right/broken plays too often. It's a good skill to have but I want to see him stay in a clean pocket with good mechanics more this season. He made some great throws yesterday.

As of now I have Rosen ahead of Darnold mostly because Rosen's pocket game would be a better fit for our system. IMO this doesn't mean Rosen is the better QB, just a better fit for Shanahan. I'd be happy with either QB.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    Darnold had a decent game last night. I still think he relies on rolling right/broken plays too often. It's a good skill to have but I want to see him stay in a clean pocket with good mechanics more this season. He made some great throws yesterday.

As of now I have Rosen ahead of Darnold mostly because Rosen's pocket game would be a better fit for our system. IMO this doesn't mean Rosen is the better QB, just a better fit for Shanahan. I'd be happy with either QB.
    Long term I don't think there's a wrong choice. Short term, with our OL uncertain, I think Darnolds scramble tips it his way just slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Long term I don't think there's a wrong choice. Short term, with our OL uncertain, I think Darnolds scramble tips it his way just slightly.
    Ya, if Darnold and Rosen were both on the 49ers right now I'd start Darnold with this o-line.

QB is the obvious target in the 1st round. I get that. However if a stud or superstar offensive lineman emerges we have to seriously consider that.

WR is deep this year in F.A. so I'd look there at the position unless a top talent fell to us in say the 2nd or 3rd round.

If our pass rush isn't good, when Lynch comes back then I believe Key is a must. However without Lynch, and the fact that Carolina has a great O Line, it's too early to call that.

Allen Robinson tore his ACL today. Was going to be one of the top FA WR's next year.

''Sig by Johnle''

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed:31845177
    Allen Robinson tore his ACL today. Was going to be one of the top FA WR's next year.
    This could be a blessing in disguise. He could be had a discount now. I expected him to bounce back this year numbers wise. He's absolutely worth a shot. Being on the East coast I watch a lot of the Jags for my early game. He is a great wide receiver. If he's healthy and comes back 100% I believe he could have Julio Jones type impact for us.

Quote Originally Posted by BGeer091 View Post
    QB is the obvious target in the 1st round. I get that. However if a stud or superstar offensive lineman emerges we have to seriously consider that.

WR is deep this year in F.A. so I'd look there at the position unless a top talent fell to us in say the 2nd or 3rd round.

If our pass rush isn't good, when Lynch comes back then I believe Key is a must. However without Lynch, and the fact that Carolina has a great O Line, it's too early to call that.
    Major issue with the OL seems to be interior. We still have to see if Tomlinson can do anything. There are a few good OTs, but I think that may be reaching with other needs. Two 2s and two 3s should allow us to find a Guard or two if need be.

Agree we gotta see what Tomlinson can do.

I like Mason Cole as a target in round 2.

Ya, I'd want to draft o-line in round 2 after todays game. Should be able to get a good gaurd with one of our second rounders. Get a vet via free agency as well.

Hoyer is a placeholder.

Goodwin is still a borderline #2. Really a #3 speedster. A poor mans T Smith. Catch the dam ball guy!

QB, gaurd , WR are big needs on offense. After today I have a little more faith that we'll be able to land Rosen/Darnold. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    Ya, I'd want to draft o-line in round 2 after todays game. Should be able to get a good gaurd with one of our second rounders. Get a vet via free agency as well.

Hoyer is a placeholder.

Goodwin is still a borderline #2. Really a #3 speedster. A poor mans T Smith. Catch the dam ball guy!

QB, gaurd , WR are big needs on offense. After today I have a little more faith that we'll be able to land Rosen/Darnold. LOL
    Priority 1 each week will be wether we win or lose
    Priority 2 each week will be wether Jets win or lose

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Major issue with the OL seems to be interior. We still have to see if Tomlinson can do anything. There are a few good OTs, but I think that may be reaching with other needs. Two 2s and two 3s should allow us to find a Guard or two if need be.
    This. Do need to draft future LT some time soon, but that's a lower priority than doing SOMETHING about the interior OL. Maybe Laken and Josh become studs this year, but there is no reason to think that's going to happen so at least 2 of the top 5 picks have to go to the OL.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    This. Do need to draft future LT some time soon, but that's a lower priority than doing SOMETHING about the interior OL. Maybe Laken and Josh become studs this year, but there is no reason to think that's going to happen so at least 2 of the top 5 picks have to go to the OL.
    I agree we'll probably need two new linemen but I'd only draft one within the first 3 rounds. It can take them a couple years to get going so I'd draft one rookie gaurd and get an established vet via free agency. Overpay a tad if we must. It's going to be a major need if we're to get the new offense up and running. Especially in 2018 if we get a new QB. ESPECIALLY if it's a rookie QB.

I'd look to replace Staley early in the 2019 draft/free agency. QB should be priority #1 this year then it's a toss up between pass rusher, gaurd and WR with the next pick. Could probably go gaurd with our third pick in the second rd.

We'll have 100 million+ cap space and five picks within the first three rounds. We can fix this o-line. We can fix a lot with that much ammo.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast