Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NBA has draft lottery reform under "serious consideration"

Story:
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...d-17-18-season

Whats on the table:
    ~Aggressive pursuit of reform to start in 2019
    ~Flat odds for the top 3 team
    ~"Significant" decrease in the gap from the 5th worse (8.8%) and 1st (25%)
    ~No 1 can drop as low as 5 (from 4), No 2 can drop to 6 (from 5), and No 3 can drop to 7
    ~The previous means that the top 4 spots will be lotto'd out as opposed to the top 4

Another measure that isn't likely to make it is if you get the #1 pick, you cannot get a top 3 pick in the next draft. Not included in the article is they don't expect that to pass because teams are questioning how that works with owning other teams picks, swaps, and if you would be able to trade into the #1 pick if you had the previous #1 pick.

PROCESSING

Somebody else on this topic said either do a snake draft where if your first one draft your last another. Or try baseball with so much money to go after rookies. Lowest team gets the most to spend for rookie pool. Can use your whole rookie cap pool for 1 guy or 4 guys. Or carry a option of 50% of that cap over to next season for a bigger swag money to sign a guy. I know the league mentioned the "wheel" lottery as well. But i'm sure if the Warriors landed #1 pick the league would go nuts. Also not sure how it would work if you owned other teams picks. If the wheel or snake draft or whatever would carry over. But the rookie pool is kinda cool idea. But the worst team gets the most for a allotment pool. But then that still be the same as it is now. If your bottom 4 teams for like 5 years then a weak draft ya carry your 50% payroll rookie money to another season then it get all crazy.

The only reason that works is because the MLB has like 9,000 round in their draft.

PROCESSING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtL8kGXp0jk

If this happens, that means the Nets pick that the Cavs just got, can not be a top 5 pick no matter what. The pick would be pushed to the 7th or 8th pick.

This would be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

So instead of the 3rd worst team tanking to be the worst you're going to have the 6th and 7th and 8th worst teams tanking to get into that top 5 tier.

Combined with the imbalance of talent between the East and the West this is going to only further how laughable the East playoffs are. The team in the 8 seed of the East at the trade deadline is going to be looking to sell because they're only 5 games up on having tied for the best lottery odds lmao

I've said before and I'll say it again - best thing for tanking is to just go by record. You'll have a few teams each year fighting for the #1 pick but there won't be incentive for the teams further down (or up I guess) in the standings to tank. All the lottery does is broaden the tanking spectrum.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

I like the idea someone proposed a long time ago where draft order is determined by most wins after you have been officially eliminated from the playoffs.

So if your team is terrible they will likely get eliminated first and have more chances to get wins, but if they are that terrible they likely won't win much. Either way, you'd see a bunch of crappy teams desperate to win at the end of the season to get the most wins and get that #1 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtL8kGXp0jk

If this happens, that means the Nets pick that the Cavs just got, can not be a top 5 pick no matter what. The pick would be pushed to the 7th or 8th pick.

This would be crazy.
    They couldnt just screw a team like that... I am sure there would be something in place.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    They couldnt just screw a team like that... I am sure there would be something in place.
    it wouldn't start till 2019. the pick would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    So instead of the 3rd worst team tanking to be the worst you're going to have the 6th and 7th and 8th worst teams tanking to get into that top 5 tier.

Combined with the imbalance of talent between the East and the West this is going to only further how laughable the East playoffs are. The team in the 8 seed of the East at the trade deadline is going to be looking to sell because they're only 5 games up on having tied for the best lottery odds lmao

I've said before and I'll say it again - best thing for tanking is to just go by record. You'll have a few teams each year fighting for the #1 pick but there won't be incentive for the teams further down (or up I guess) in the standings to tank. All the lottery does is broaden the tanking spectrum.
    Only the top 3, meaning the tanking is going to happen between 3-4-5.

What they are really looking to do is not make it a race for the bottom. By opening up the number of spots that are lotto'd and leveling the odds some at the bottom, they're hoping for less of a race to the very bottom. I think this really prevents it.

PROCESSING

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    I think that as somebody pointed out. nets pick would now be worth way less. I think that this is something that needs to be done. but it won't happen soon. it will probably take a few years to implement as it completely changed the stock of draft picks that have already been dealt

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Only the top 3, meaning the tanking is going to happen between 3-4-5.

What they are really looking to do is not make it a race for the bottom. By opening up the number of spots that are lotto'd and leveling the odds some at the bottom, they're hoping for less of a race to the very bottom. I think this really prevents it.
    I'd rather have a race to the very bottom than a race to #3 though because a race to #3 will include more teams.

These were the lottery records last year:

20 (BRK)
    24 (PHX)
    26 (LAL)
    28 (PHI)
    29 (ORL)
    31 (MIN)
    31 (NYK)
    32 (SAC)
    33 (DAL)
    34 (NO)
    36 (CHA)
    37 (DET)
    40 (DEN)
    41 (MIA)

You said in the OP they were gonna smooth out from #1-#5. So IMO, that gives serious incentive to get into that range. DET is the 12th team in that list and they're still only 8 games ahead of the #5 team. I think this new method would just encourage the back half of the lottery to try and get into the top 5 more than make the playoffs since the odds make it so much more beneficial to be in that spot.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Smooth out and decrease the difference between 1 and 5 is different.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I like the idea someone proposed a long time ago where draft order is determined by most wins after you have been officially eliminated from the playoffs.

So if your team is terrible they will likely get eliminated first and have more chances to get wins, but if they are that terrible they likely won't win much. Either way, you'd see a bunch of crappy teams desperate to win at the end of the season to get the most wins and get that #1 pick.
    holy crap that's an incredible idea
    Official Kevin King Crew

Anybody know how to find the old thread where the lottery fixes were discussed at length earlier in the year?
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Anybody know how to find the old thread where the lottery fixes were discussed at length earlier in the year?
    Do you know approximately when and/or what the title of the thread may have been?

BELIEVELAND WE CHAMPS!!! 2016!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast