Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Honestly sounds like the Flyers are mostly having their way aside from the PP being nonexistent so far.

For the most part the flyers are carrying the play.

The only thing disappointing to me, is that Friedman and dehoss have been the most noticeable flyers dmen.

Sanheim is probably next, Morin rag dolled a guy, and Myers hasn't even been seen really, except on the goal against him and sanheim got crossed up at the blueline.

If the only thing that mattered to making the flyers was this game, Friedman would vault over Morin IMO. And I'm a Morin supporter.

The announcers are bad.

Strome looks like he's laboring with every stride.

Patrick showed a burst of speed that showed me he's healthy again. Dangerous, with vision.

Vorobyov(spell check) showed good vision and a good second burst on his assist driving wide, and beating his man. Circled the net and centered to the high slot to Friedman for the third goal.

Morin. Is. Still. A. Project.

Strome did lay a massive clean hit at the top of the flyers own zone.

Power play looks non existent.

Broken thoughts after the second period.

Thanks for clarifying the Hagg and nak thing

It has certainly sounded like Morin has had a solid game. Sanheim and Friedman kind of sound like they have stolen the show. Myers name I haven't heard all game other than the goal against. I know Friedman has virtually no chance of making the team, but kid competes so hard I think it's a safe bet he eventually winds up in Philly after he cleans up a couple things while playing in the AHL.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    It has certainly sounded like Morin has had a solid game. Sanheim and Friedman kind of sound like they have stolen the show. Myers name I haven't heard all game other than the goal against. I know Friedman has virtually no chance of making the team, but kid competes so hard I think it's a safe bet he eventually winds up in Philly after he cleans up a couple things while playing in the AHL.
    I truly believe Myers didn't play most of the game. Seemed like the flyers were rotating five guys.

Morin improved as the game went along, in the corners he was dominant, and he was really effective taking away passing lanes. One on ones entering the zone though had him getting turned around consistently.

Sanheim was a little adventurish in his own end. Obviously great offensively. Still some things to work on though defensively IMO.

Still think kosorenkov should get an elc. He's faster than I thought as well as quick.

So I was at the game. Got there super early to get center ice seats.

First and foremost, this was one game. Can't derive anything conclusive from one game, so no need to make any decisions really from this thing.

Thoughts:

- Patrick and Lindblom were too good for this game. They just see things quicker and in a more advanced way than anyone else that was out there. I think they'll actually look better and more in their element when they're playing in camp and preseason games with NHL players.

- I disagree with Morin being a project still. He is what he is; he's a guy who can make a solid first pass when given time and space, but if you pressure him it becomes an adventure. He's going to need a puck mover with him to help him out. But, he's very physical; he was really too strong for this game, he was eating people alive. And he can be a stud on the PK, which has been an issue for the Flyers for a while now. I think he's a guy you can pair with Ghost, allow Ghost to be an offensive rover and Morin can be a steady defensive presence.

- Sanheim and Myers were underwhelming for the most part. Sanheim let his emotions get the best of him in a game where guys were frankly taking liberties with him. I'm generally ok with that, as I don't think he should just sit there and take it, but there are times where it boiled over into his following shifts and that he can't do. He was also a little too cavalier with the puck in his own end at times. Myers didn't play the 3rd period, but he played the 1st 2 periods until maybe about 2 minutes left in the 2nd. Left with a lower body injury, held out for precautionary reasons. But even before then, he was just ok. The first NYI goal was on him. He didn't challenge at the blue line and then followed the man and ended up picking Sanheim off the play. If he had stayed on his side of the ice that goal doesn't happen. I wouldn't say they were disappointing but they didn't have their best game.

- Vorobyev was very impressive. Made 2 great passes from below the goal line that lead to goals by Sanheim and Friedman. He's a great passer and solid defensively and I think he's due to have a strong season in the AHL.

- Friedman, IMO, was the best defenseman on the ice last night for either team. He was up on the play, was very good in his own zone, displayed his speed and skating ability along with his accurate shot. I've been talking about Friedman being the darkhorse D prospect in this system; I think he's more well known now. I'm interested to see how his season goes in the AHL this year.

- Both goalies were solid. Hart saw more action and held up for the most part, nothing egregious on his end and made some tough saves.

- Kosorenkov is a shifty little guy. I like his game. I think he's worth an ELC.

- Laberge and Frost need to add muscle to be effective at this level. Skill is there, they're just not big enough right now.

- Rubtsov played a subtle solid game. Some flash with his vision and passing, nothing wowed me, but he's just so smooth and smart.

- Bunnaman is just a step or two too late when making plays. He knows where to be, his timing is just not next level yet, but he's got potential.

- Ratcliffe, you can see the potential but he's soooooooo raw. Good skater, stick handling needs work and he needs to put on weight for a guy his size, but when he does, he's going to be a beast of a man.

- Strome can't skate, that's apparent, but the effort is there. Really interested to watch him develop, because if he can become a better skater he could be a nice player.

- Sushko showed me some things. Good skater as well, had some nice give and go plays with Patrick.

I'd expect a good amount of guys to get sent back to juniors today so the real competitions can begin to get underway in camp. It's going to be a fun camp to watch with so much young talent pushing some of the vets. Guys like G, Jake and Simmer have seemed really excited about the young guys coming in and rightfully so. They want help and IMO they're gonna get it in droves.

Hopefully Myers' injury isn't too serious, would really like to see him in camp and get a strong look.

Again, it was a rookie game, lots of sloppiness because a lot of these guys simply aren't that good yet or won't ever be good. I'm more interested to see how Sanheim, Myers, Morin, Hagg, Patrick, Lindblom etc. fair against real NHL talent.

Morgan Frost, Isaac Ratcliffe, Matthew Strome and Maksim Sushko have all been sent back to their respective junior clubs.

Cool for them to be able to get into the game last night and experience an NHL atmosphere. Should give them a little extra motivation heading into the season.

Been awhile since we've agree across the board like this pem.

The only disagreement really is with Morin, who was obviously dominant in the corners, and showed his ability to get his stick in lanes. I was disappointed with him getting spun around on inside outside moves twice by people I've never heard of. That bothered me.

Myers was invisible for most of that second period as well IMO. Did they skip his shift a few times before actually pulling him?

Weird to see a first rounder get sent back before camp even really starts in Philly. It goes to show how much more talent the team has coming IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    Been awhile since we've agree across the board like this pem.

The only disagreement really is with Morin, who was obviously dominant in the corners, and showed his ability to get his stick in lanes. I was disappointed with him getting spun around on inside outside moves twice by people I've never heard of. That bothered me.

Myers was invisible for most of that second period as well IMO. Did they skip his shift a few times before actually pulling him?

Weird to see a first rounder get sent back before camp even really starts in Philly. It goes to show how much more talent the team has coming IMO.

I just think that's pretty much who he is at this point. There's room for growth, of course, but I wouldn't call him a project anymore. I think he's a big guy who likes to be aggressive at the blue line, but because he's a big guy, he's going to run into trouble at times with shifty players who force him to move laterally or change direction quickly.

Myers was invisible most of the second, because frankly, he wasn't playing all that well. As I mentioned, both he and Sanheim were underwhelming. I think they could have played better and I hope Myers' injury is only minor so both he and Sanheim can prove their value.

In terms of Frost being sent back early, he's got zero chance of making this team. Patrick and Lindblom are going to need the reps along with others who have a legitimate shot at making the team. Frankly Frost just isn't physically mature enough to handle this level anyway. So him going back now isn't a big deal IMO. Like you said just with the volume of talent coming in and already here, there's really no point in keeping him around.

I'm eager to see the camp battles ... the first rookie game is what it is

Myers was dinged up at the start of the 2nd IMO ... which is concerning for me, because for a dude built like that with all he has, he gets hurt wayyy too often. And I'm probably his biggest supporter. Even if it was just precautionary, he needs to be able to play 82 games for 7-10 years. He can't get through more than 35/40 in a row at any level. Talent is unmistakable - he has to be more durable

Morin has been concerning me in the same way he has been for the last two years. He isn't our secret chara or pronger. He is a bottom 6 guy who can take up space on a PK ... do we need that? I'd rather that be Gudas for a variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    I'm eager to see the camp battles ... the first rookie game is what it is

Myers was dinged up at the start of the 2nd IMO ... which is concerning for me, because for a dude built like that with all he has, he gets hurt wayyy too often. And I'm probably his biggest supporter. Even if it was just precautionary, he needs to be able to play 82 games for 7-10 years. He can't get through more than 35/40 in a row at any level. Talent is unmistakable - he has to be more durable

Morin has been concerning me in the same way he has been for the last two years. He isn't our secret chara or pronger. He is a bottom 6 guy who can take up space on a PK ... do we need that? I'd rather that be Gudas for a variety of reasons.
    Anyone ever comparing him to Chara or Pronger were just setting him up to fail, so I'm not even gonna go there.

Also, "taking up space" and being excellent are two very different things. PEB and VV took up space on the PK. AMac takes up space on the PK. Morin can be very very good at it. Don't sell him so short on that just yet.

Your point about rather having Gudas than Morin is fair, but IF Morin could somehow give you something similar to what Gudas can, at a fraction of the price, then you take Morin.

Until guys like Myers and Sanheim can be full time NHLers and prove to be very good or at least better than Morin, it doesn't make sense to be getting rid of any of the prospects. Keep them all, see what they can give you, and make a decision later.

Morin isn't that highly regarded league-wide anyway, so even if he comes up and doesn't impress, you're not losing much value there. Best thing to do is see if he can be effective or even better than anticipated, especially if someone like Myers and/or Sanheim doesn't pan out.

So for the bajillionth time, give the kid a chance.

Who reaches the NHL first, Myers or Friedman? While that may seem like a ridiculous question to ask bc Friedman has zero shot of making it, but Myers isn't making it this year either. Friedman just keeps getting overlooked and all he does is compete and perform. I think it's time he gets his just do in the Flyers prospect pecking order.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    Who reaches the NHL first, Myers or Friedman? While that may seem like a ridiculous question to ask bc Friedman has zero shot of making it, but Myers isn't making it this year either. Friedman just keeps getting overlooked and all he does is compete and perform. I think it's time he gets his just do in the Flyers prospect pecking order.

I've been saying for years to keep an eye on him as a darkhorse. Let him adjust to the AHL and go from there. I'm not going to put him ahead of anyone just yet, but I've always been a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    I've been saying for years to keep an eye on him as a darkhorse. Let him adjust to the AHL and go from there. I'm not going to put him ahead of anyone just yet, but I've always been a fan.
    First time I actually watched Friedman play. He outclassed the competition in the rookie game. Obviously it's only the rookie game, but he gave me some excitement for the phantoms this year.

I'll be sure to check out a few of their games

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    First time I actually watched Friedman play. He outclassed the competition in the rookie game. Obviously it's only the rookie game, but he gave me some excitement for the phantoms this year.

I'll be sure to check out a few of their games
    NOT comparing players here, but stylistically, he reminds me a bit of Ryan Ellis. Little guy but packs a punch, not afraid to stick his nose in there and he can give you something offensively. Maybe not the most orthodox way of doing things, but he gets the job done and he's highly competitive.

Again, NOT saying he's going to be Ryan Ellis. Ellis is a premiere defenseman. Just stylistically, they play a similar style IMO.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast