Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Detroit Tigers Late 2018

As of right now we have a new look in the field but looking ahead to late 2018 we might have a complete make over. Here's a possible roster by late 2018 that I actually kind of like:

1B- Miggy: he'll be one of the few mainstays on the team at this point due to his contract and his dip in productivity. Unless he lights things up and someone is willing to take on the contract (or the Tigers paying a lot of it) then he's here for a while.

2B- Dawell Lugo: Kid has played 2B, 3B, and SS in the minors and fielded each of them pretty well (only 6 errors this year). He seems to be a streaky hitter with power and decent on base percentage. Currently playing mostly 3B at AA but with Candalerio there I see a move to 2B.

SS- Dixon Machado: I'm really kinda pissed their not playing him more now (at minimum getting time at 2B for Kinsler) but I think we get a decent prospect for Iggy at the start or at the trade deadline and Machado takes over at SS.

3B- Jaimer Candalerio: Didn't hit well at Toledo but seems to have rose to the occasion since being handed the 3B job so far. Above average fielder (1 error at Toledo) who just needs to hit and/or improve his on base.

RF- Casty and Christian Stewart: Casty we will see in RF and if he can handle it this year and at the start of 2018. Stewart should have been moved up to AAA this year and wasn't so he will need to start at AAA next year and be moved up later in the year. These two will also split time with Miggy at DH and possibly 1B with Hicks.

LF- Mahtook (R)/Mike Gerber (L): Mahtook will definitely be the starter at the beginning of the year and split time in CF as well. Gerber may or may not start the year with Detroit but eventually will split time or take over there. He's hit wherever they sent him and that includes his .412 at Toledo in his short time there. He's also a very good outfielder and can play all three spots.

CF- Jones (R)/Harold Castro (L): Jones will need to improve his hitting and on base percentage to stay on the roster but defensively he's there already. Castro is a kid I REALLY like and thought he should have got a September call up. He can play 2B, 3B, SS, and now CF with good success. His LH bat and speed would compliment Jones. Until Cameron or Hill are ready (2019?) these two will need to play CF.

C- McCann and Hicks: I'm not sure Jake Rogers will be ready yet so we will roll with these two.

DH- Miggy/Casty/Stewart- You can throw Hicks into the mix as well.

Utility- Kody Eaves/Castro/Hicks: I mentioned Hicks and Castro already but Kody Eaves is another name to watch. Plays 3B/2B and I think he's done some OF as well.

My hope is we have a completely different coaching staff that stresses defense and speed with this group. We are horrible on the base paths so we waste all our team speed. The lineup above with the players we have coming (Gibson, Robson, Hill, Cameron, Woodrow, and Alcantara) all have great speed for defense and on the base paths. We need coaches that know how to use them and teach them how to use their speed. Two other players that are a bit further away that I really like soon are Isaac Peredes and Danny Pinero. Both are infielders so it will be interesting to see where they fit in.

I love prospects and young players. I'm not upset by a rebuild at all. I am embracing it and looking forward to seeing these guys come up and develop together. Finally doing things the right way and hopefully it amounts to future success.

That looks good, but the pitching is what will make or break this team. Tigers will hopefully slow down the advancement of the SP instead of rush them.

I like the rebuild as well and have been waiting for a building of a team that fits this stadium (defense and speed). The roster for late 2018 is vastly improved defensively (except for RF when Casty is out there) which should help our pitchers. Beyond Zimmermann and Fulmer, it's going to be a collection of Norris, Lewicki, Boyd, Farmer, and Jaye which could get ugly unless a couple step up. I think we may need to hit on some one year prove it deals to stay afloat until our very good young pitching prospects come up and there is a ton of them in Perez, Manning, Faedo, Burrows, Funkhouser, Soto, Long, Hall, and Turnbull but none are really that close. Only Burrows, Hall, and Turnbull are at AA. My unsung guy that I feel will be a solid starter is Hall. I like that guy probably a lot more than most others who project him as a bullpen guy.

we need to fire Ausmus ASAP

#QWiNNING

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    we need to fire Ausmus ASAP
    Couldn't have put it any better and he can take Avila with him. I haven't watched a game in a while now because they say their rebuilding but are still playing the vet's that should be on the bench now and they didn't really bring up "prospects" like they should have done. Here's a lineup I saw the other day and about threw up in my mouth:

Kinsler- 34 years old
    Presley- 29
    Cabrerra- 33
    Castellanos- 25
    Candelario- 23
    Collins- 27
    Holiday- 29
    Navarro- 31
    Romine- 29

So basically you had one guy on a "rebuilding" team under the age of 25 years old. How is that helping the rebuild? How is that giving experience to the young players? We couldn't find a younger guy or better for that matter than a 31 year old Navarro to frick'n DH? Asumus and Avila both suck.

I can only hope that it is them throwing the season away to secure a high draft pick. I am ok with it as long as next year, we are young in a lot of spots.

Just saw an article indicating that Franklin Perez and Beau Burrows could be brought up at some point next season. Both seem pretty young to force in already. I'm all for playing the young guys but Perez is only 19 right now. I'd be a bit leary of rushing these two.

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    Just saw an article indicating that Franklin Perez and Beau Burrows could be brought up at some point next season. Both seem pretty young to force in already. I'm all for playing the young guys but Perez is only 19 right now. I'd be a bit leary of rushing these two.

Tigers gotta Tiger