Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I don't know the numbers but...

If the Mets have $50m coming off the books, but add 4 quality players that directly address their needs for $40m, this is a problem? It's talent not payroll $ that is needed.
    The Mets are around 102 million dollars right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    All he does is get on base.
    If he can continue to get on base how in all things holy do you not believe in that.
    Key word is the one I bolded. Also the first sentence you said all he does is get on base. Are you saying that's the only thing he does or he gets on base a ton? Hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I like Nimmo a lot better in a corner OF spot than in CF.

But since we already have Cespedes and Conforto, CF is the only available spot for him.

Platooning Nimmo and Lagares seems logical at this point for next season.

The way the ball carries these days, I could easily see Nimmo running into 15-20 HR in a full season.
    The problem with platooning them is that Lagares is super injury prone. I feel like we've planned on some sort of Lagares platoon in the past and the results have never been good. On top of that, Cespedes seems to have chronic leg issues and Conforto could miss time early in the season.

JD Martinez is the guy to get. He has a .379 ISO this year and is only 30 years old. He's one of the most underrated hitters in the game and has been for the last 4 years. You could play him at RF/1B. He's a monster.

Sign JD this year and bring back Murphy next year. And stop being cheap with the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Key word is the one I bolded. Also the first sentence you said all he does is get on base. Are you saying that's the only thing he does or he gets on base a ton? Hard to tell.
    He has a career OBP of .385. He is a solid base runner and an average fielder. But underestimate the ability to get on base and wear down pitchers.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

He has a career OBP of .385. He is a solid base runner and an average fielder. But underestimate the ability to get on base and wear down pitchers.
    I'm not underestimating the importance of OBP. I'm questioning whether it is the best idea to go into 2018 with him penciled in as an everyday player. His career OBP is high, but it's a small sample and a very high, probably unsustainable BABIP. I don't want to give up on him, but I also don't want to pass up on a chance to possibly sign a hitter like say, JD Martinez. We should be all over JD Martinez if the price is even remotely reasonable.

For the record I don't actually think we will be in on the bidding for him, but I'm simply stating what I think the Mets SHOULD do, not what I think they will do. What they will do is probably spread the money around. They'll sign a versatile guy like Nunez for a reasonable price, they'll add a couple relievers, and they'll add a cheap but durable #4 starter. With all the money coming off the books, the payroll will decrease from last year.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 09-13-2017 at 09:37 PM.
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    I'm not underestimating the importance of OBP. I'm questioning whether it is the best idea to go into 2018 with him penciled in as an everyday player. His career OBP is high, but it's a small sample and a very high, probably unsustainable BABIP. I don't want to give up on him, but I also don't want to pass up on a chance to possibly sign a hitter like say, JD Martinez. We should be all over JD Martinez if the price is even remotely reasonable.

For the record I don't actually think we will be in on the bidding for him, but I'm simply stating what I think the Mets SHOULD do, not what I think they will do. What they will do is probably spread the money around. They'll sign a versatile guy like Nunez for a reasonable price, they'll add a couple relievers, and they'll add a cheap but durable #4 starter. With all the money coming off the books, the payroll will decrease from last year.
    Are you suggesting that the Mets should use Conforto in CF if they sign Martinez? Just asking.

Olney wrote last week (I believe) that this off season power hitting-poor fielding hitters will be extremely affordable as teams look to focus on defense.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Are you suggesting that the Mets should use Conforto in CF if they sign Martinez? Just asking.

Olney wrote last week (I believe) that this off season power hitting-poor fielding hitters will be extremely affordable as teams look to focus on defense.
    Yes... Conforto in CF. But if Smith doesn't hit enough at 1B, then move JD Martinez to 1B, Conforto to RF, and you have Nimmo/Lagares in CF.

I feel like Olney is probably right. Sluggers who aren't great athletes in the field probably will be more affordable than in the past. We've already seen this happen the last couple offseasons with Trumbo, Encarnacion, etc. That's why I'm mentioning JD Martinez. I think his price will be somewhat reasonable for a hitter of his production. I also think his bad defense metrics have some room for improvement, much like we saw with Bruce. I don't think he's the defensive liability that sometimes his metrics might suggest. Below average fielder, sure... but not a huge liability IMO. Some inconsistencies about his metrics... last year it was bad because of his range, but this year his range is fine, but his arm is the cause for the negative metrics. His arm used to be at least average in the past. It all seems kind of fluky to me. If he a good fielder? No, but I don't think he's a total liability and his offense is ridiculously good.
    Marmolololololol

Looks like a sound plan, will 2 years 30 million be enough?

Ya know, cheap owners.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The Mets would never approach what the Dodgers spend even with good ownership. That's a dynamic of the RSN deal they signed and the fact that they don't share LA with anyone (regardless of what the Angels call themselves).
    Which is fine. They don't have to come close to that, but they should do better.

One thing I wanted to mention when you look and see that the payroll is 18th or 20th, whatever, it's not just about comparing revenues in this market to the payroll, it's also about the costs associated with this market. Obviously a lot of players don't make their homes here, but they do spend a lot of time here - so they have to deal with the higher cost of living and the higher taxes/fees. All other things being equal, $10M playing for Miami is probably much better than $10M playing for NY.

So, in other words, when I see that the team is 17th in payroll, I figure that in effect they're more like 24th.

Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Which is fine. They don't have to come close to that, but they should do better.

One thing I wanted to mention when you look and see that the payroll is 18th or 20th, whatever, it's not just about comparing revenues in this market to the payroll, it's also about the costs associated with this market. Obviously a lot of players don't make their homes here, but they do spend a lot of time here - so they have to deal with the higher cost of living and the higher taxes/fees. All other things being equal, $10M playing for Miami is probably much better than $10M playing for NY.

So, in other words, when I see that the team is 17th in payroll, I figure that in effect they're more like 24th.
    Well they should be able to be a top 5 payroll in baseball (much like they were pre Madoff) but with the Wilpons borrowing against SNY and the team, that's never going to happen. They're just spinning their wheels trying to refinance 700 million dollars in debt and it doesn't help that they signed a ****** SNY deal in comparison to monies other big market teams are getting from their regional sports networks.

A lot of what you said could be offset by endorsement deals and the want to play in NY. Sure, NY teams usually pay a premium but no more a premium than the Dodgers or Giants pay and see how much success those teams have had.

Sandy Last Night

Sacrificing defense for an above average hitter creates an overall average player.

I think OF is going to be set with Nimmo/Lagares in CF. I really like what Nimmo has come up and done, and think he would make a great leadoff hitter for us with his ability to get on base.

Nimmo
    Rosario
    Conforto
    Cespedes

That's a solid start to a lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by 5+7=DYNASTY!!! View Post
    I think OF is going to be set with Nimmo/Lagares in CF. I really like what Nimmo has come up and done, and think he would make a great leadoff hitter for us with his ability to get on base.

Nimmo
    Rosario
    Conforto
    Cespedes

That's a solid start to a lineup.
    Agreed. But that's only a good start. as it stands, Smith, Flores, Cabrera, and Plawecki/TDA to round it out. There needs to be at least one more hitter to make that a solid lineup.

Maybe one more power left handed hitting 2B/3B (cough Moustakas) to really bring the lineup together.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    Sacrificing defense for an above average hitter creates an overall average player.

Damn right.......

Right on Nate.
    Couldn't Make The Cut As A Denver Broncos Cheerleader

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well they should be able to be a top 5 payroll in baseball (much like they were pre Madoff) but with the Wilpons borrowing against SNY and the team, that's never going to happen. They're just spinning their wheels trying to refinance 700 million dollars in debt and it doesn't help that they signed a ****** SNY deal in comparison to monies other big market teams are getting from their regional sports networks.

A lot of what you said could be offset by endorsement deals and the want to play in NY. Sure, NY teams usually pay a premium but no more a premium than the Dodgers or Giants pay and see how much success those teams have had.
    I spy with my little eye ... an informed opinion.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456