Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 89
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    89,466

    Sandy Last Night

    A couple of interesting things he said.

    Mets will look for a guy that can eat innings 180-200 in the FA market.

    TdA/Plawecki are safe bets to returning as the teams catchers.

    Payroll will not be as high as it was this year. 155 million is what it was, so don't expect it to be that high.

    They will also look for another everyday player/big bat.

    And yes they will go into season not counting on Wright to be part of the team.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,655
    Sounds about right.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    31,276

    Sandy Last Night

    If their payroll actually goes down, as they have been hinting, it's hard to see substantial improvements to the team.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,655
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    If their payroll actually goes down, as they have been hinting, it's hard to see substantial improvements to the team.
    We will have substantial improvements simply with better health next year.

    Don't make me recount how many games significant players have missed on our team. Literally our 4 most talented players (sans degrom) all have missed SIGNIFICANT time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,655

    Sandy Last Night

    Cabreras hands are so damn good.

    Too bad he never cared about fitness. Plays like a 40 year old. (I think he's only like 32).

    ***He's 31 and younger than me, I care about fitness a little, and I'm no professional athlete, but I move around so much faster than him.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,411
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee:31838131
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    If their payroll actually goes down, as they have been hinting, it's hard to see substantial improvements to the team.
    We will have substantial improvements simply with better health next year.

    Don't make me recount how many games significant players have missed on our team. Literally our 4 most talented players (sans degrom) all have missed SIGNIFICANT time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But we all know we won't have good health next year. Injury prone players don't suddenly stay healthy all year, but they'll use that excuse as reason not to make big upgrades. It's unlikely we're gonna compete next year, sadly. Unless they go add some big time players. If we have close to the same group again as expected, might as well throw in the towel now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,655
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    But we all know we won't have good health next year. Injury prone players don't suddenly stay healthy all year, but they'll use that excuse as reason not to make big upgrades. It's unlikely we're gonna compete next year, sadly. Unless they go add some big time players. If we have close to the same group again as expected, might as well throw in the towel now.
    Actually, no, we don't know that.

    Cespedes, Thor, Familia, Conforto...didn't really have a history of injury before this year...so it's too early to say that we can expect them all hurt again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    6,998
    Payroll will not be as high as it was this year.
    The New York Mets: Where Winning is Secondary

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,867
    Winning and Spending don't always go hand in hand. Sometimes spending big actually hurts the team.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    6,998
    Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    Winning and Spending don't always go hand in hand. Sometimes spending big actually hurts the team.
    Oh for ****'s sake. Really?

    Stick to posting about our need to emphasize scoring more runs than the other team.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    15,937
    If we went in with a 140MM payroll I would be happy. Until we get an actual number it's all just speculation.

    If our payroll is actually 60MM give or take including Wrights insurance then I don't see why we can't spend 40MM this offseason and become competitive. Somebody get me the actual numbers, though.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,411
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee:31838135
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    But we all know we won't have good health next year. Injury prone players don't suddenly stay healthy all year, but they'll use that excuse as reason not to make big upgrades. It's unlikely we're gonna compete next year, sadly. Unless they go add some big time players. If we have close to the same group again as expected, might as well throw in the towel now.
    Actually, no, we don't know that.

    Cespedes, Thor, Familia, Conforto...didn't really have a history of injury before this year...so it's too early to say that we can expect them all hurt again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll give you that, however, Conforto's injury certainly gives us reason to believe he either won't be the same hitter next year, or will have lingering injury concerns, or will simply have a setback and miss a huge chunk of the season. There is a real possibility for this.

    So even if Cespedes, Thor, and Familia are healthy, does that really make us solid playoff contenders if we only add mediocre talent in the offseason?

    If we go with rookies Smith and Rosario every day, and Cabrera at 3B, Flores at 2B, Lagares/Nimmo in CF, d'Arnaud at C again thinking something is gonna change there, and deGrom and Thor in the rotation with some combination of Gsellman/Lugo/and injury plagued Matz and Wheeler, how much success do you think that team is gonna have?

    Now, trade for Donaldson who has one year left, a guy who we would be interested in cuz we're afraid to invest in longer-term options, and get a real SP to join the rotation, not just someone who's gonna pitch 200 innings with a 4.50 era, then we'll be talkin...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,174
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Oh for ****'s sake. Really?

    Stick to posting about our need to emphasize scoring more runs than the other team.
    He's not incorrect. Look at the Tigers, Rangers, Blue Jays, Giants, etc. All of those teams were among the top payrolls in baseball and their results have sucked.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,867
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    He's not incorrect. Look at the Tigers, Rangers, Blue Jays, Giants, etc. All of those teams were among the top payrolls in baseball and their results have sucked.
    Exactly

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,867
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Oh for ****'s sake. Really?

    Stick to posting about our need to emphasize scoring more runs than the other team.
    Stick to reading what I write.
    Maybe you'll learn something.


Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •