Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    The biggest issue that jumped out for me, and many of you have pointed out, was just how ineffective that offensive line was. It was terrible. There were times when Hoyer had pressure before he even finished a 3 step drop. Beadles was useless out there and was was constantly getting beat....badly. I love the draft they had. I just wished they had taken 1 or 2 offensive lineman or at least put more of an emphasis on the line this past Summer. They way that line played in week 1, it wouldn't have matter who was taking the snaps whether it was Hoyer or Tom Brady. They wouldn't have found much success.

Quote Originally Posted by BGeer091 View Post
    I though Hyde played great. After re watching the game, I thought he should have been used more. Obviously not a 20 25 carry game. He should have at least gotten 5 more touches.
    He probably would have had several more touches had they not got so far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    The biggest issue that jumped out for me, and many of you have pointed out, was just how ineffective that offensive line was. It was terrible. There were times when Hoyer had pressure before he even finished a 3 step drop. Beadles was useless out there and was was constantly getting beat....badly. I love the draft they had. I just wished they had taken 1 or 2 offensive lineman or at least put more of an emphasis on the line this past Summer. They way that line played in week 1, it wouldn't have matter who was taking the snaps whether it was Hoyer or Tom Brady. They wouldn't have found much success.
    I think that was the real point of signing Hoyer to a two year deal. Not only could he teach the system to a young QB (eventually turned out to be Beathard) but, as units go, OL might be the hardest thing to fix, and when you're this bad, one offseason will not be enough to do it. Enter the stopgap QB with the upside of knowledge of the system.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    I think that was the real point of signing Hoyer to a two year deal. Not only could he teach the system to a young QB (eventually turned out to be Beathard) but, as units go, OL might be the hardest thing to fix, and when you're this bad, one offseason will not be enough to do it. Enter the stopgap QB with the upside of knowledge of the system.
    I see it differently. When building a team, the whole idea is to eventually put a franchise QB under center but if they know the offensive line is that bad, why not try to fix it before that franchise QB is here which would be inevitable because we all know Hoyer isn't that QB. I'm not sure why you would put your potential future signal caller behind a questionable o-line. Look what it has done to Andrew Luck's career thus far. Its after they drafted Luck is when they began to focus on that offensive line. With the cap space the 49ers have, they can fix this o-line in an offseason. Trai Turner will be a big time free agent next Summer that the 49ers can afford to spend $11M on. Just him alone will make this offensive line dramatically better.

I see it differently. When building a team, the whole idea is to eventually put a franchise QB under center but if they know the offensive line is that bad, why not try to fix it before that franchise QB is here which would be inevitable because we all know Hoyer isn't that QB. I'm not sure why you would put your potential future signal caller behind a questionable o-line. Look what it has done to Andrew Luck's career thus far. Its after they drafted Luck is when they began to focus on that offensive line. With the cap space the 49ers have, they can fix this o-line in an offseason. Trai Turner will be a big time free agent next Summer that the 49ers can afford to spend $11M on. Just him alone will make this offensive line dramatically better.
    I think we're saying the same thing.

I think they're using Hoyer as a filler until they can improve the o-line and before they hand the reigns over to a young buck.

Hoyer will keep it until there's some assurance that Beathard/Darnold/Rosen will be protected when they take over. I'm sure they'd like to see a transition to a new guy next year, but two years seems like a safe bet; hence the two year contract.

Turner signed an extension through 2021 in July.

Hoyer is still under contract next year, if the OL isn't stabilized by then, we still don't have to trot a young QB out there.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Turner signed an extension through 2021 in July.

Hoyer is still under contract next year, if the OL isn't stabilized by then, we still don't have to trot a young QB out there.
    ☝️
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

- Carl Sagan

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213