Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    The biggest issue that this team has right now is the interior offensive line, especially LG. Hoyer rarely had a clean pocket yesterday. It was masked slightly by how fast he gets the ball out. If Kaepernick were the QB still, we would have seen a lot more sacks and him running out of the pocket. I'm hoping that they get Tomlinson ready for week #2 to replace Beadles at LG.
    I'd add the dline too ... Terrible lol
    Last edited by nutty; 09-11-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eDush View Post
    I disagree. How the players exercised his plays during the game could be construed as such. Our trust in Kyle is a process that requires patience. Fans that don't have patience and think we are playoffs bound and thought we could beat this team that owned us is not realistic and premature at best. It's about improvements week to week, not winning.
    OK, I was just pointing out the 4th down decisions were head scratchers too me.
    As the game progressed and we faltered I agreed with the 2nd half play calls to go for it.
    The game was still close in the 1st half and that was my only gripe with those turnovers on downs.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    Thomas didn't get any sacks or pressure but he helped stop the run. Our run defense looked improved over last year.

Foster looked good till his ankle twisted. Nothing he could do about that.

Lynch didn't play. If he did I think the pass rush would've looked better.

Ward was out and Tarrtt was making mistakes early.

That drop from Goodwin killed our momentum. A TD there would've changed the dynamics. CAR would've had to pass more.

Our o-line lost the game for us. Penalties, sacks and constant pressure. Hoyer made some bad throws after being pressured all first half. He's not a Brady/Rodgers type QB that will fight through anything.

Taylor and Kittle looked good. Hoyer just didn't have time to distribute the ball.

The only rookie that underperformed was Thomas in the pass rush. It was his first game ever after missing some camp.

Ease up. Relax. This is a rebuild after having the worst team in 2016.
    Yah ... I don't even care about this year except the fact that theyre striving to improve... If they go winless ... so be it .

Quote Originally Posted by nutty View Post
    It was a blowout to me in that the score was closer than the game was.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    The game could have also quite as easily been closer than it was. We gave them good field position on a few 4th down attempts IIRC, and Goodwins drop almost certainly cost us points. It could have gone many ways IMO. It was a closer game than last years Carolina game to me, and with less overall talent and experience. So, not good, but things I can take away going "Ok, lets see if that keeps getting better".

Quote Originally Posted by 1hardcore View Post
    Yah ... I don't even care about this year except the fact that theyre striving to improve... If they go winless ... so be it .
    I want us to win two games while the defense improves and makes things competitive. They did OK yesterday. I think it will be a bad sign if our offense ends up playing a lot better than the defense.

I say that because we'll probably be changing the offense up a lot over the next two years and we've invested a lot into this young defense. Only offensive guys I see here in 2018 are Garcon, Juice, Kittle, Beathard and Taylor. Maybe Goodwin if he can get open and catch deep balls. Staley and Brown should be safe. Maybe a couple other linemen but we'll probably have fresh faces at QB, WR, RB, G, maybe C and TE #2 behind Kittle.

Hoyer might be here in 2018 if he stays healthy. Even if we draft a rookie QB early it would be best if he sat behind a journeyman for a little while but if Beathard plays this year and does OK that could make Hoyer expendable. We may be able to trade him in 2018 if a team gets desperate.

On defense we'll probably get a new DE, CB and saftey within the next two years. I think most of our needs will be on offense going into the 2018 draft.

We'll be in bad shape if Buckner and Thomas bust. That would change a lot. I think we'll be in OK shape if they're just average as long as we can get a beast pass rusher to pressure QB's.

It was a blowout to me in that the score was closer than the game was.

My guess is that you are referring to a couple blown coverages that Newton missed, but that can go both ways. If Goodwin caught the ball, 49ers go up 7-0. Shanahan probably doesn't go for it on the first two 4th downs (6 less points for Carolina) or the last one (3 more points for SF). The 49ers also wouldn't have had to abandon the run game in the second half. Also, the blown coverages were Tartt. If Ward wasn't injured, those wouldn't have happened and neither would the first TD that Carolina got. Of course, we're looking at what did happen, but if you are going to do "what-ifs" for Carolina, then you should also do them for SF.

Also, the defensive line attacks are not completely warranted. No sacks is a problem, but Buckner got good pressure and they shut down the running game. Criticism about Thomas and Armstead on rushing the QB are certainly warranted, but there were positives on the defensive line.

My guess is that you are referring to a couple blown coverages that Newton missed, but that can go both ways. If Goodwin caught the ball, 49ers go up 7-0. Shanahan probably doesn't go for it on the first two 4th downs (6 less points for Carolina) or the last one (3 more points for SF). The 49ers also wouldn't have had to abandon the run game in the second half. Also, the blown coverages were Tartt. If Ward wasn't injured, those wouldn't have happened and neither would the first TD that Carolina got. Of course, we're looking at what did happen, but if you are going to do "what-ifs" for Carolina, then you should also do them for SF.
    I do not think ward is better than tartt. Then again I've never been a fan of ward. Think he's overrated for anyone who thinks he's better than below average.

I admit that Goodwin dropping the ball had a huge impact on the game. Our offense seemed to become stagnant after that play.

Open Carolina receivers is totally different than what ifs. We can talk about what ifs all day long, but it doesn't change the fact that Carolina had wide open receivers that were missed by cam. I personally don't think ward being on the field would have prevented the open receivers. Then again, I clearly don't think as highly of ward as you and others do. Guess we'll see when he's healthy enough to play. Although I think Saleh will make some adjustments to compensate for that also. That will probably help more than ward being on the field imo.

Also, the defensive line attacks are not completely warranted. No sacks is a problem, but Buckner got good pressure and they shut down the running game. Criticism about Thomas and Armstead on rushing the QB are certainly warranted, but there were positives on the defensive line.
    I think positives on the line were for the run and not the pass.

I do not think ward is better than tartt. Then again I've never been a fan of ward. Think he's overrated for anyone who thinks he's better than below average.

I admit that Goodwin dropping the ball had a huge impact on the game. Our offense seemed to become stagnant after that play.

Open Carolina receivers is totally different than what ifs. We can talk about what ifs all day long, but it doesn't change the fact that Carolina had wide open receivers that were missed by cam. I personally don't think ward being on the field would have prevented the open receivers. Then again, I clearly don't think as highly of ward as you and others do. Guess we'll see when he's healthy enough to play. Although I think Saleh will make some adjustments to compensate for that also. That will probably help more than ward being on the field imo.

Talking as a Safety tho. He was the top Senior S the year he came out. People don't like him as a CB, which is understandable.

Week 1: Carolina Panthers @ San Francisco 49ers

Okay I have an interesting thought. Would we have beating the Panthers last Sunday if we had our not so past defense but with our current offense

https://youtu.be/pk2tERFZztI

Keep in mind, our defense back then was capable of forcing turnovers and scoring. It's okay for fans to reminisce

Being elite is not easy cause you will be hated on but that's me

I think positives on the line were for the run and not the pass.

Pro Football Focus rated Buckner with the highest pass rushing productivity in the NFL among all interior offensive linemen, so he was solid in the pass rush. But, overall, I would agree with you. Armstead and Thomas especially need to improve pass rushing.

Whether or not you think Ward or Tartt are better is not relevant to what I said. Tartt is the one who blew coverages and was out of position on the majority of the plays that you are referring to. Ward doesn't blow coverages like that. At least he didn't as a CB. We'll see how he does as a FS.

This. The line was moving up the field, but were maintaining contain on Newton who is not quite easy to take down. I think the line clearly showed promise and sacks will come with time. They could use edge help sure, but they were moving the o-line around and taking territory regularly.

As to the "blowout" ... the Panthers scored 20 points on 49ers turnovers. Cut the turnovers in half and eliminate the turnovers and the 49ers probably win.

Clearly the team is in flux and that's going to result in mistakes and those mistakes, which can be corrected, resulted in this loss. Overall I think it was a positive sign.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

I though Hyde played great. After re watching the game, I thought he should have been used more. Obviously not a 20 25 carry game. He should have at least gotten 5 more touches.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast