Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Snow Hill NC
    Posts
    23,925
    Quote Originally Posted by bbsmets View Post
    Not a goat, more like a *******...
    What, you can't say jack ***?
    I can be boring and vanilla, too! Controversy = BAD...

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,716
    Well, Carton resigned today.

    Wonder who becomes his replacement? Maybe Phil Simms?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,452
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well, Carton resigned today.

    Wonder who becomes his replacement? Maybe Phil Simms?
    He said earlier today that he wasn't guilty, he was going to fight it, and that he'd be back.

    I guess not.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,716
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    He said earlier today that he wasn't guilty, he was going to fight it, and that he'd be back.

    I guess not.
    Well he mentioned not wanting to be a distraction in his statement. His WFAN career was over the day he was arrested regardless of innocence or guilt. Could you imagine how many calls a day he would get asking him about his case or how many times callers would troll him for being arrested?

    I don't think there was any way WFAN could have brought him back.

    I'm not going to miss him, much like I won't miss Mike, but I am curious the direction WFAN goes with both shows.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    25,223
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well, Carton resigned today.

    Wonder who becomes his replacement? Maybe Phil Simms?
    I'd like to see someone with a background in journalism - real journalism. Most hosts are not journalists: Boomer, Carton, Roberts, Mike, Benigno, Malusis, Somers, etc. I tend to prefer contributirs who have been in post game locker rooms and have historically better insight and perspective on players and managers. And/or someone who can bring advanced stats into the conversation. I'm hoping Kim Jones gets a regular spot either in the AM or PM.

    Unfortunately Chernoff thinks that the best teams are like Abbott and Costello - a humorless host paired with a jack ***.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-14-2017 at 05:29 AM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I'd like to see someone with a background in journalism - real journalism. Most hosts are not journalists: Boomer, Carton, Roberts, Mike, Benigno, Malusis, Somers, etc. I tend to prefer contributirs who have been in post game locker rooms and have historically better insight and perspective on players and managers. And/or someone who can bring advanced stats into the conversation. I'm hoping Kim Jones gets a regular spot either in the AM or PM.

    Unfortunately Chernoff thinks that the best teams are like Abbott and Costello - a humorless host paired with a jack ***.
    I highly doubt WFAN will ever hire hosts who are advanced stat advocates. It's boring minutia to most fans and many who don't believe in the merit of such stats. I listen to WFAN a lot on my morning and afternoon commutes to and from work and most callers are chiming in about why players don't bunt or choke up on the bat with RISP. I understand that sentiment but baseball isn't played that way anymore.

    Not to mention, you need people who are well versed in all the major sports. With that, there is less time for numbers and more time for headlines. Whatever the case is, its a business and ratings are obviously priority. That's why the emphasis is more on personalities than knowledge. Same reason why Carton had a job in the first place.

    With all that said, I have no interest in Kim Jones. She's just another Yankee homer who think she's smarter than everyone in the room when patronizing Met fans, especially when the team is playing poorly. You want a really good host? Lori Rubinson. The problem is WFAN only gives her one night a week.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-14-2017 at 07:02 AM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,452
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I'd like to see someone with a background in journalism - real journalism. Most hosts are not journalists: Boomer, Carton, Roberts, Mike, Benigno, Malusis, Somers, etc. I tend to prefer contributirs who have been in post game locker rooms and have historically better insight and perspective on players and managers. And/or someone who can bring advanced stats into the conversation. I'm hoping Kim Jones gets a regular spot either in the AM or PM.

    Unfortunately Chernoff thinks that the best teams are like Abbott and Costello - a humorless host paired with a jack ***.
    I highly doubt WFAN will ever hire hosts who are advanced stat advocates. It's boring minutia to most fans and many who don't believe in the merit of such stats. I listen to WFAN a lot on my morning and afternoon commutes to and from work and most callers are chiming in about why players don't bunt or choke up on the bat with RISP. I understand that sentiment but baseball isn't played that way anymore.

    Not to mention, you need people who are well versed in all the major sports. With that, there is less time for numbers and more time for headlines. Whatever the case is, its a business and ratings are obviously priority. That's why the emphasis is more on personalities than knowledge. Same reason why Carton had a job in the first place.

    With all that said, I have no interest in Kim Jones. She's just another Yankee homer who think she's smarter than everyone in the room when patronizing Met fans, especially when the team is playing poorly. You want a really good host? Lori Rubinson. The problem is WFAN only gives her one night a week.
    Yeah. They need to appeal to a much broader audience. They need hosts who can deliver compelling radio. Doubtful chats about advanced stats would translate. Would be an instant dial Turner, most likely
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,452
    I like Lori too
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,716
    I don't think Boomer does a bad job. He's a good football guy, having previous playing experience and working for CBS so many years as an analyst. He's a huge Ranger fan which is a plus in my books and he's a passionate Met fan.

    It's that idiot Carton who was a complete tool but that's why WFAN hired him. Same reason why they give Francesca the big bucks because of their ability to be polarizing figures which in turn draws ratings. There is also something to the fact that Francesca fans are self masochists. They like him berating and belittling them.

    I disliked Carton enough to begin with but once he started that "Met fans for Yankees" **** in 2015 in the midst of the Mets winning the NL East, I was done.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-14-2017 at 07:22 AM.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    25,223
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah. They need to appeal to a much broader audience. They need hosts who can deliver compelling radio. Doubtful chats about advanced stats would translate. Would be an instant dial Turner, most likely
    Which supports my platform that most sports fans are unsophisticated. It's not like every conversation has to be dominated by stats, but throw in a wRC+ now and then please. Look up FIP or Park Factors when appropriate. Educate the fans, get them thinking for once.

    I remember Francesa making an argument one time that one second baseman was better than another based on RBI. :smh:
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-14-2017 at 09:28 AM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Which supports my platform that most sports fans are unsophisticated. It's not like every conversation has to be dominated by stats, but throw in a wRC+ now and then please. Look up FIP or Park Factors when appropriate. Educate the fans, get them thinking for once.

    I remember Francesa making an argument one time that one second baseman was better than another based on RBI. :smh:
    Lol.

    A morning drive talk show is hardly the place to hold in depth conversations about advanced metrics. And you know why? Baseball and sports in general are not about the numbers. They're about the stories, the personalities, the conflicts, the drama, or as they used to say on the Wide World of Sports, the Joy of Victory and the Agony of Defeat.

    It has nothing to do with not being sophisticated. Numbers help clarify the story and help us better understand what we're seeing, unlike that stubborn buffoon Francessa going on about RBI.

    But they're not THE story. Certainly not the focus. They're just tools that help us tell the story. And to be fair, not all sports stories have to be told with numbers.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    39,850
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Lol.

    A morning drive talk show is hardly the place to hold in depth conversations about advanced metrics. And you know why? Baseball and sports in general are not about the numbers. They're about the stories, the personalities, the conflicts, the drama, or as they used to say on the Wide World of Sports, the Joy of Victory and the Agony of Defeat.

    It has nothing to do with not being sophisticated. Numbers help clarify the story and help us better understand what we're seeing, unlike that stubborn buffoon Francessa going on about RBI.

    But they're not THE story. Certainly not the focus. They're just tools that help us tell the story. And to be fair, not all sports stories have to be told with numbers.
    That is only one aspect, the other is comparing and the best way to compare is through numbers. MLB Now on the MLB Network uses Saber Stats to further educate its audience.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Lol.

    A morning drive talk show is hardly the place to hold in depth conversations about advanced metrics. And you know why? Baseball and sports in general are not about the numbers. They're about the stories, the personalities, the conflicts, the drama, or as they used to say on the Wide World of Sports, the Joy of Victory and the Agony of Defeat.

    It has nothing to do with not being sophisticated. Numbers help clarify the story and help us better understand what we're seeing, unlike that stubborn buffoon Francessa going on about RBI.

    But they're not THE story. Certainly not the focus. They're just tools that help us tell the story. And to be fair, not all sports stories have to be told with numbers.
    That is only one aspect, the other is comparing and the best way to compare is through numbers. MLB Now on the MLB Network uses Saber Stats to further educate its audience.
    Never said otherwise
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Flushing, 10/16/69
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Lol.

    A morning drive talk show is hardly the place to hold in depth conversations about advanced metrics. And you know why? Baseball and sports in general are not about the numbers. They're about the stories, the personalities, the conflicts, the drama, or as they used to say on the Wide World of Sports, the Joy of Victory and the Agony of Defeat.

    It has nothing to do with not being sophisticated. Numbers help clarify the story and help us better understand what we're seeing, unlike that stubborn buffoon Francessa going on about RBI.

    But they're not THE story. Certainly not the focus. They're just tools that help us tell the story. And to be fair, not all sports stories have to be told with numbers.
    All true! The problem with the WFAN programming is that it has fetishized the conflicts at the expense of the stories. It lives for the conflict of the day or week and ceases to be interesting after the hosts weigh in and the first round of callers. It's either that or a post-mortem gripe fest with the fans. Finding the right co-host is key but I'd like to see them use this opportunity to mess with the format a bit. More features? More check-ins with insiders? An unconventional co-host from the entertainment industry. Something.

    Regarding the morning show in particular: Boomer is a decent and fairly knowledgeable NY sports everyman but he lowered himself to be the straight man for a guy who projected himself as a misogynistic bro boy who oversimplified everything. Carton clearly wanted to be a part of a NY sports Rat Pack (that hilariously included Chris Christie), pressuring others to man up and regaling us with stories about trips to casinos, etc. How his story ended did not surprise me. My hope is that rather than looking to dumb things down they get more creative and original.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,452
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    All true! The problem with the WFAN programming is that it has fetishized the conflicts at the expense of the stories. It lives for the conflict of the day or week and ceases to be interesting after the hosts weigh in and the first round of callers. It's either that or a post-mortem gripe fest with the fans. Finding the right co-host is key but I'd like to see them use this opportunity to mess with the format a bit. More features? More check-ins with insiders? An unconventional co-host from the entertainment industry. Something.

    Regarding the morning show in particular: Boomer is a decent and fairly knowledgeable NY sports everyman but he lowered himself to be the straight man for a guy who projected himself as a misogynistic bro boy who oversimplified everything. Carton clearly wanted to be a part of a NY sports Rat Pack (that hilariously included Chris Christie), pressuring others to man up and regaling us with stories about trips to casinos, etc. How his story ended did not surprise me. My hope is that rather than looking to dumb things down they get more creative and original.
    Agreed right back at ya. It's why i signed up for Satellite Radio. Couldn't handle all the f-ing gossip talk in place of actual sports talk entertainment.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •