Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,498

    Bring the Royals to the Mets

    Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, and Lorenzo Cain are all Free Agents. And each player fits a need on the Mets. Hosmer 1B, Moustakas 3B, and Cain CF. these would be high quality signings and great fill ins for the gaps that this team has. Sign all 3 Royals! Go for a RING.

    1. Lorenzo Cain CF
    2. Amed Rosario SS
    3. Michael Conforto RF
    4. Yoenis Cespedes LF
    5. Eric Hosmer 1B
    6. Mike Moustakas 3B
    7. Asdrubal Cabrera 2B
    8. Kevin Plawecki C

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    27,174
    No lets not do that besides Moustakas.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,056
    Never thought I'd say this but both Lagares and Nimmo are showing me something. Would like to see them platoon in center.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Never thought I'd say this but both Lagares and Nimmo are showing me something. Would like to see them platoon in center.
    And Smith needs more time. Smith should be a prime candidate for playing in the winter league this year. I agree with metswon69 that we should only look into bringing the Moose.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    62,142
    Bring back Bruce to play RF/1B. Conforto is going to miss time and Dom is not the answer at 1B.

    I like signing Moustakas too, but that's it.

    When healthy:

    CF-Brandon Nimmo
    RF-Michael Conforto
    LF-Yoenis Cespedes
    1B-Jay Bruce
    3B-Mike Moustakas
    2B-Wilmer Flores
    SS-Amed Rosario
    C-Kevin Plawecki

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    15,937
    Hell no on Hosmer...he's one of the most overrated players out there

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    24,629
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Bring back Bruce to play RF/1B. Conforto is going to miss time and Dom is not the answer at 1B.

    I like signing Moustakas too, but that's it.

    When healthy:

    CF-Brandon Nimmo
    RF-Michael Conforto
    LF-Yoenis Cespedes
    1B-Jay Bruce
    3B-Mike Moustakas
    2B-Wilmer Flores
    SS-Amed Rosario
    C-Kevin Plawecki
    Yeah. At this point Bruce seems like a no-brainer, but you're reacting prematurely to Dom Smith.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,056
    Quote Originally Posted by eeek78 View Post
    And Smith needs more time. Smith should be a prime candidate for playing in the winter league this year. I agree with metswon69 that we should only look into bringing the Moose.
    As it looks now, his range at first base is very limited. He has a slow bat, best suited to hit curve balls that drop into his wheel house, and flat sliders. I dont see him getting around much on hard fastballs.

    That could be a problem. But yeah, Winter Ball can't hurt.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    As it looks now, his range at first base is very limited. He has a slow bat, best suited to hit curve balls that drop into his wheel house, and flat sliders. I dont see him getting around much on hard fastballs.

    That could be a problem. But yeah, Winter Ball can't hurt.
    Is it a case of a slow bat speed, defensive swing or the Yips?

    We have to have patience with him. Andres Galarraga posted a slash line of .187 BA with an OPS of .508 in 79 PA in his first year. BTW, I am not comparing the two. Just want to make a point that we have to give him at least one more year playing with the big boys and see if there are any improvements.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    62,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Yeah. At this point Bruce seems like a no-brainer, but you're reacting prematurely to Dom Smith.
    The whole idea behind Dom Smith was that he'll be a high average 1B with plus defense.

    So far his defense looks bad and he doesn't have range. So that's already 1/2 of the equation that hasn't panned out. Even if he ends up hitting .300/.350/.470 or so, his defense will drag him down.

    But with how many grounders he hits, I'm hard-pressed to see him hitting for a high average. The shift is going to kill Dom in the big leagues. He needs to make major adjustments soon or he won't last long, it doesn't matter how young he is.

    1B is an offense position and there can't be too much patience, especially when we're trying to compete.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    89,466
    I been on the Cain/Mustakas bandwagon, no on Hosmer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    24,629
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    The whole idea behind Dom Smith was that he'll be a high average 1B with plus defense.

    So far his defense looks bad and he doesn't have range. So that's already 1/2 of the equation that hasn't panned out. Even if he ends up hitting .300/.350/.470 or so, his defense will drag him down.

    But with how many grounders he hits, I'm hard-pressed to see him hitting for a high average. The shift is going to kill Dom in the big leagues. He needs to make major adjustments soon or he won't last long, it doesn't matter how young he is.

    1B is an offense position and there can't be too much patience, especially when we're trying to compete.
    If you go back and read my observations of Dom Smith in 2014 at Savannah you'll read that I did not see his glove. That said, for the past 4 seasons, he's maintained the reputation of having a plus glove year to year. Why? How has he continued to maintain the reputation year to year under the scrutiny of scouts noses unless he does have a good glove?

    I can't judge his offensive skills with less than 100 PAs after just 500 PAs above AA in his age 22 season. That's premature IMO. Judge posted a .345 SLG last year in 95 PAs.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    62,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    If you go back and read my observations of Dom Smith in 2014 at Savannah you'll read that I did not see his glove. That said, for the past 4 seasons, he's maintained the reputation of having a plus glove year to year. Why? How has he continued to maintain the reputation year to year under the scrutiny of scouts noses unless he does have a good glove?

    I can't judge his offensive skills with less than 100 PAs after just 500 PAs above AA in his age 22 season. That's premature IMO. Judge posted a .345 SLG last year in 95 PAs.
    Defensive reputations through the minors seem to be hard to shake. Conforto wasn't supposed to be a horrible defensive outfielder. den Dekker was supposed to be a GG caliber CF defender. Neither were true.

    Judge is a physical freak who figured out how to make enough consistent contact to become a star. Dom doesn't have those tools.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    24,629
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Defensive reputations through the minors seem to be hard to shake. Conforto wasn't supposed to be a horrible defensive outfielder. den Dekker was supposed to be a GG caliber CF defender. Neither were true.

    Judge is a physical freak who figured out how to make enough consistent contact to become a star. Dom doesn't have those tools.
    I don't think Judge figured it out. I think he got his feet wet, got comfortable, and then the pitchers figured him out. 41 K in 96 PAs in August.

    As far as Dom Smith's glove, Last year BA wrote, "...is nimble around first base with a quick first step and sure hands to save his infielders errors." So what's that look like on a MLB field? GG?

    When the Mets recalled Smith, BA wrote,
    Smith largely projects to hit .290-.300 in the big leagues while playing solid defense at first base...moves around the bag well at first base and has soft hands that allow him to pick balls out of the dirt. His range is adequate but not great.
    Maybe fans expected more than he is.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-06-2017 at 04:17 PM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,498
    Quote Originally Posted by zmaster52 View Post
    hell no on hosmer...he's one of the most overrated players out there
    .317 avg 23 hr 80 rbi 3.4 war

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •