Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red SUCKS caught stealing signs with help of electronic devices

Report: Red Sox caught using electronic device to steal signs from Yankees

The Yankees and Red Sox don't face each other again the rest of the regular season, but it's fair to say the rivalry seems a lot spicier than before in light of the news Tuesday. Major League Baseball has found that the Red Sox were using an Apple Watch to steal signs from the Yankees back in August in Fenway Park, reports the New York Times.

The Yankees, who had long been suspicious of the Red Sox stealing catchers' signs in Fenway Park, contended the video showed a member of the Red Sox training staff looking at his Apple Watch in the dugout and then relaying a message to players, who may have then been able to use the information to know the type of pitch that was going to be thrown when they were hitting, according to the people familiar with the case.

Baseball investigators corroborated the Yankees' claims based on video the commissioner's office uses for instant replay and broadcasts, the people said. The commissioner's office then confronted the Red Sox, who admitted that their trainers had received signals from video replay personnel and then relayed that information to some players -- an operation that had been in place for at least several weeks.

The full story in the Times has much more detail and is recommended reading for anyone interested. It's thorough.

Basically, the trainer would see the sign on his watch, signal something to a runner on second base and then that runner signals to the batter what pitch is coming. It has to happen fast, but it's possible to work. The series in question was Aug. 18-20 in Fenway Park. The Red Sox were 5 for 8 -- including a two-run homer by Rafael Devers -- with a runner on second base in the first game of that series.

The Times report indicates the Red Sox have countered with a complaint against, you guessed it, the Yankees. The Red Sox side says that the Yankees use a camera from YES Network to steal signs.

Stealing signs via electronic devices (or with any other help like binoculars) is illegal, so commissioner Rob Manfred has his hands full here in deciding a punishment. It seems likely that the organization will be significantly fined and perhaps there will be some penalty when it comes to draft picks, but some people won't view that as harsh enough.

Consider this developing, because not only do we wait on Manfred's office to confirm the report and then punish the Red Sox, but they are likely now investigating if the Red Sox claim of the Yankees' sign-stealing operation is true as well.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/r...-from-yankees/

Also, here is the times article he is referring too

I wonder what the punishment, if any will be.

Give them the death sentence! Postseason ban for the next ten years. Loss of their first round draft pick for the next five years. They have a cap of $500,000 to spend on free agents. David Ortiz has a lifetime ban from the Hall. They have to have Sterling and what's her name become their new radio people. Tom Brady needs to be suspended the first four games. The Patriots stripped of their 1st/4th/7th round draft picks. I think that is fair!

Yankees/Chiefs/Nets/Jayhawks

Quote Originally Posted by jd25213 View Post
    Give them the death sentence! Postseason ban for the next ten years. Loss of their first round draft pick for the next five years. They have a cap of $500,000 to spend on free agents. David Ortiz has a lifetime ban from the Hall. They have to have Sterling and what's her name become their new radio people. Tom Brady needs to be suspended the first four games. The Patriots stripped of their 1st/4th/7th round draft picks. I think that is fair!
    You had me at Sterling and whats her name

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by jd25213 View Post
    I think that you make Papi sodomize Brady while he wears the bear outfit. And man faced Gizelle tells tom to shake has azz more. And then she will tell the press that Papi didn't bang him right. After that Bellichek will sodomize Gronk while Gronk watches stupid videos of himself. Then Craft fists Dombowski. Then Dombrowski jams his entire head up Krafts arse and they walk around carrying a Yankee flag.
    (And then they both walk around on their hands with a flag of the Boss jammed in their respective arses.)

Yes. I know.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I think that you make Papi sodomize Brady while he wears the bear outfit. And man faced Gizelle tells tom to shake has azz more. And then she will tell the press that Papi didn't bang him right. After that Bellichek will sodomize Gronk while Gronk watches stupid videos of himself. Then Craft fists Dombowski. Then Dombrowski jams his entire head up Krafts arse and they walk around carrying a Yankee flag.
    (And then they both walk around on their hands with a flag of the Boss jammed in their respective arses.)

Yes. I know.
    As nice as that sounds.. I know people who would pay good money to see Papi sodomize Brady... anything that would make them money can't be done...

Of course here's a good punishment... No playoff games in Fenway... they have to use a neutral site for their home games in the playoffs... the loss of revenue alone would make sure nobody wants to go there ever again.
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies
    3. Whoever is playing the Red Sox tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    As nice as that sounds.. I know people who would pay good money to see Papi sodomize Brady... anything that would make them money can't be done...

Of course here's a good punishment... No playoff games in Fenway... they have to use a neutral site for their home games in the playoffs... the loss of revenue alone would make sure nobody wants to go there ever again.
    Great idea.
    (And Bellichick sodomizes Farrell on home plate and Randy Johnson throws out the first pitch ad has to hit one of them)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Great idea.
    (And Bellichick sodomizes Farrell on home plate and Randy Johnson throws out the first pitch ad has to hit one of them)
    I hope I miss that game... but knowing my luck.. that will be the one in the month that I watch.
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies

I don't know what is fair in this situation. I would not change any wins or losses or playoff scenarios.

However, I would take away a draft pick or picks and would establish a policy against electronic cheating with greater penalties for 1st, second and third offenses, similar to the increasing steroid policy, but with draft picks and international pool money. It is also possible to suspend the manager for grater increments.

I'd start with a one game suspension of Farrell and the organization losing their 1st round pick in next year's draft.

What is it with Boston teams and getting caught cheating... The Patriots have gotten nailed more than once and now The Sux...

I do agree though.. Pro sports does not like taking wins and losses away.. suspending those involved, fines, draft picks/INTL bonus pool monies.. are about all we can expect...

Nice how they blame the Yanks for it once they got caught red handed...
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies

Boston pro sports should be ashamed of itself.

All the teams cheat!
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

Yankeesource‏ @YankeeSource

I wonder if the new #AppleWatch has built in sign stealing technology.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Yankeesource‏ @YankeeSource

I wonder if the new #AppleWatch has built in sign stealing technology.
    Imagine if there was an app for that? lol

Sign steal light, is free

Sign steal pro is 100,000$

How bout they're not allowed to compete in international signings for one year?

Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    How bout they're not allowed to compete in international signings for one year?
    That sounds great and eliminates a potential competitor for Otani.

Since they cheated to get a competitive advantage, the penalty should be something that hurts them competitively.

There would certainly be an uproar if they were prevented from signing anyone. I do think that loss of money in the international pool and loss of draft pick (s) or drop in their picking spot is warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    That sounds great and eliminates a potential competitor for Otani.

Since they cheated to get a competitive advantage, the penalty should be something that hurts them competitively.

There would certainly be an uproar if they were prevented from signing anyone. I do think that loss of money in the international pool and loss of draft pick (s) or drop in their picking spot is warranted.
    Agreed,,,, money? teams like Boston can print money so I don't think a fine would matter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast