Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bills release jonathon williams

So it looks like Tolbert and Banyard will be the back up. But since we're becoming Carolina north, look for them to sign DeAngelo Williams probably.

In other news, the Buffalo Panthers worked out QB Joe Webb this weekend.

So far, I've liked what both, coach and GM, have been saying. I thought this draft was better than any of Whaley's by far. But I admit, I am confused about why they are filling our team with players they are garbage picking from Our apparent sister team down south.

I am 100% willing to embrace the tank, but for them, it seems they are only half willing to tank. Which is why McCoy and Tyrod are still here. Some of these decisions are very peculiar. And with the news that Boldin wants to play again for a competitive team, these situations are making playing here look even more laughable around the league than it already is. Let's hope they shock the world and these new faces playing here are ballers.
    Last edited by sabres11; 09-03-2017 at 07:42 PM.

I don't know if the reports were confirmed yet, but it appears Williams was pulled over a second time for drunk driving last month. Last year we had this same conversation regarding Williams character, looks like he didn't learn a thing if true. Well, at least the team is ridding themselves of drafting and signing these type of players.

Mcdermott will be gone in 2 years.

It's not like Williams was the next Barry Sanders, but he did look a lot better than Banyard and Tolbert. If he got pulled over for drinking for a 2nd time, I understand it, but if that wasn't true, based on the performances of each player, I am not sure why he was cut over the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    Mcdermott will be gone in 2 years.
    The nature of his hiring and the moves they've made will buy him at least a few years.

I mean, I just wonder what he sold the pegulas on when they hired him. That he would clean house and only be HALF in a rebuild? It makes perfect sense if you want to never be better than mediocre.

I'd say we're pretty much in a full rebuild. This is how teams do it in the NFL. If you clear cut the team then you wont sell all the tickets and your games wont get broadcasted. Whether we get the first pick or the 5th pick, we should be able to get a decent QB prospect by packaging the additional picks they've hoarded. the additional 1st they picked up from KC is a huge asset. very few teams will be able to offer 2 firsts in the same year in order to move up a few spots.

IMO I don't think this is a rebuild. A rebuild would be getting rid of all your great players and starting over from scratch. Like Dumping McCoy, Tyrod, Kyle Williams along with dead weight players like Marcel and high contract players like Clay. In a full rebuild, none of those would remain.

Also, if this was a rebuild, Peterman would be our starter, because McDermott and Beane would need to figure out if Peterman is our guy, or if we need to use the draft picks next year to draft another QB.

I know media and fans think this is a rebuild because of getting rid of Watkins. But in the big picture, he played 40 games here and fans could only remember 2 of them (KC and Miami). If we drafted a 2nd round WR, who had the same stats and performance, we wouldn't mind him leaving. But because of the absurd price Whaley paid, it is a bigger deal than what it really is.

Umm this is a rebuild. They certainly haven't augmented the team in anyway, they've only sold off players for picks and place holders.

You don't want to draft top flight talent onto a garbage team. I would much rather bring a Roethlisburger into a great situation later in the 1st than a jamarcus russel or any other talented qb who was drafted onto a **** team. Flacco is another example of the teams situation giving the qb a chance to establish himself.

If we were rebuilding, McCoy would be gone. At Kyle Williams age, he would be gone too. Marcel and his behavior, would be released rather than being left on the team to be an example for the younger players coming in. Most importantly, as I said before, Peterman would be QB. If Peterman is our guy, McDermott during a rebuild, would want to know that right now this season. He would want to know if they need to move on with him, or use a high draft pick next year on a QB.

The Jets are the perfect example of a team rebuilding. Look at what they are doing and compare it to what the Bills are doing, and that will tell you, we are not rebuilding. All we did this season is get rid of a high profiled name at WR and a 2nd string Darby. We let Gilmore go because he sucked and if you watched the KC/NE game last night, that game proves getting rid of him was the right thing to do. Bringing Mathews and picks in replacing Watkins, getting Gaines and picks replacing Darby is just smart football operations, not a rebuilding movement.

Not to mention, the life expectancy of a coach and a GM is 3-years. McDermott and Beane do not have the time to rebuild. If they did, again, McCoy and Tyrod would be traded for picks to rebuild with. Then having a terrible record this season as a result of their departure, would bring us another higher draft pick. Plus we will be very active in free agency next year, this shows they are trying to compete not rebuild.

The Bills adding 2.5 million in incentives for McCoys contract last night also proves, there is no rebuild. When you rebuild, you try to have the worse record in the league. When you try to compete and finish 6-10 or 8-8, your trying to build something for next year.
    Last edited by sabres11; 09-08-2017 at 07:48 AM.

ok if you're going to make me reiterate: Rebuilding does not = blowing it up. What we're looking at is hopefully a 1 or 2 season rebuild, not a browns or jets style tear it all down rebuild. and those teams did not choose to do so on purpose.

the Jets cut manglod and Harris. looking at their roster, that was pretty much all the stand out talent they had. 2 role players aged 30+, that if they happen to have 3 amazing drafts in a row (what it would take to put a decent roster together from scratch) would no longer be contributing to the team.

The browns were the first team i had seen in the NFL purposely blow it up and tank a season. with the browns they didnt even really have any standout older talent to cut, they just didnt add. and already 1 year later are hoping to win 6 games and start builiding.

we also have more picks than these teams now.

Watch, this iteration of the bills will win much more than this iteration of the jets.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    ok if you're going to make me reiterate: Rebuilding does not = blowing it up. What we're looking at is hopefully a 1 or 2 season rebuild, not a browns or jets style tear it all down rebuild. and those teams did not choose to do so on purpose.

the Jets cut manglod and Harris. looking at their roster, that was pretty much all the stand out talent they had. 2 role players aged 30+, that if they happen to have 3 amazing drafts in a row (what it would take to put a decent roster together from scratch) would no longer be contributing to the team.

The browns were the first team i had seen in the NFL purposely blow it up and tank a season. with the browns they didnt even really have any standout older talent to cut, they just didnt add. and already 1 year later are hoping to win 6 games and start builiding.

we also have more picks than these teams now.

Watch, this iteration of the bills will win much more than this iteration of the jets.
    Plus cutting/trading McCoy or Dareus (especially Dareus) has salary cap ramifications. Them keeping Tyrod around doesn't mean much as they have already set him up to fail. I doubt they care about Peterman and I'm sure they think they know what they have. They've clearly set themselves up to get one of the top QBs in the upcoming draft regardless of Peterman.

You don't rebuild keeping McCoy. And the guys on the radio said a million times, if we're rebuilding, we can cut Marcell despite the ramifications because we won't be hindered by the cap hit. We would just let a nobody start in his place and it wouldn't matter at all because Next year we could be free from him if we want. If this was a rebuild he would be a goner. Kyle would have been released etc etc. again, instead of thinking we are rebuilding, google the jets off season moves. They are rebuilding and we did the complete opposite of them.

Rebuilding teams don't try to compete and the coach and GM have no time to rebuild. The 3 year clock is ticking for them and there is no way they feel they can rebuild this team and prove themselves in the next two years to be resigned.

And tell me this, if we didn't trade Watkins and Darby, would you still think we're rebuilding?
    Last edited by sabres11; 09-10-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    You don't rebuild keeping McCoy. And the guys on the radio said a million times, if we're rebuilding, we can cut Marcell despite the ramifications because we won't be hindered by the cap hit. We would just let a nobody start in his place and it wouldn't matter at all because Next year we could be free from him if we want. If this was a rebuild he would be a goner. Kyle would have been released etc etc. again, instead of thinking we are rebuilding, google the jets off season moves. They are rebuilding and we did the complete opposite of them.

Rebuilding teams don't try to compete and the coach and GM have no time to rebuild. The 3 year clock is ticking for them and there is no way they feel they can rebuild this team and prove themselves in the next two years to be resigned.

And tell me this, if we didn't trade Watkins and Darby, would you still think we're rebuilding?
    You are assuming because they didn't tear it all down at once, that it's not a rebuild. They don't have to do it all at one time for it to qualify as such. They've clearly sacrificed their roster now for draft picks for the future. That is the biggest sign of a team entering a rebuild. My guess is next offseason will be the next wave of releases/trades. Guys like Taylor, Dareus, Clay, and Kyle Williams most likely won't be on the roster. McCoy could also be gone next season, but my guess is they'll wait one more year. No good team (or teams attempting to be good) carries around dead cap. While you think it's no big deal because they have a lot of space, it's still money that they're paying another player to play on another team. It's not good business especially with someone making as much money as Dareus.

McDermott clearly values leadership, which is why he asked Williams to come back and extended Wood. If they were trying to win now, they wouldn't have taken away from the roster now in hopes of draft picks in the future. I don't think there's any question that this is a worse team than what McDermott inherited. Before I thought they'd win their typical 7 or 8 games, now I don't see them winning anything more than 4 or 5 games.

I don't think they sacrificed this roster one bit. Even though you guys think Watkins is god, he gave us the stats of a 2nd and 3rd rounder. He didn't give us stats that you would expect, from a team that traded three picks to get him. Whether it was because he wasn't used, or due to his injuries and ability, means nothing. The fact is on Sunday, he didn't give us the stats we should have gotten.

Darby was a problem here as well. Our secondary suffered with him on the field. That is why he was demoted, because every QB we played against would pick on him and he rarely made plays. Gilmore was another failure here and against KC, he did the exact thing he did here, which was not being able to tackle and getting burned on the deep ball.

If we got rid of our two best players, McCoy and Tyrod, which would then cause us to lose games, then I would agree we sacrificed our roster. But for the people we got rid of, compared to who we got in return, then as the box score will show you this Sunday, we got the same stats. Getting the picks on top of it was just icing on the cake.

So we didn't sacrifice anything. The departure of the 3 big names this off season, will not lose any games for us. We traded away mediocrity and got capable players in return, along with draft picks. Without any practice Mathews gives us 2 catches 61 yards and made two huge blocks that opened up very long runs for McCoy. Watkins in LA, who has practiced all summer with his new team, had 5 catches for 58. As I said after the trade, our team didnt really sacrifice anything.
    Last edited by sabres11; 09-12-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast