Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Should the title be changed?

Its 18 franchises not 17.

So over a span of 67 years, 33/67 championships have been won by either the Celtics or Lakers. That's almost 50% of champions between two teams, which speaks terribly to parity IMO.
    Actually I'd like to dispute the Lakers totals. The first two two titles were won in all white leagues, so that slightly chips at this point if you accept that as an issue.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    thanks Webster....

my post is self explanatory...

take the time to read past the first sentence
    I read it and you are using the wrong word!!!!! parity has nothing to do with what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Actually I'd like to dispute the Lakers totals. The first two two titles were won in all white leagues, so that slightly chips at this point if you accept that as an issue.
    So what. Still NBA championships and that's what I was measuring. Championships across the 4 major sports in the last 67 years (starting in 1950).

PROCESSING

NBA championships didnt start until 1950 and by then blacks were already in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerHouse View Post
    NBA championships didnt start until 1950 and by then blacks were already in the league.
    The first black was signed into the NBA in 1950-51. Go to basketball-reference to see that the Lakers are credited with flags before that date.

1950 is an arbitrary date.

1958 is arguably when the NFL arrived.

The NBA was screwing around with 8, 9, 10, 11 team leagues in the 50's and early 60's.

The NHL was a rinky dink league until the mid 60's when it went from 6 to 12 teams.

MLB was certainly the dominant league well before 1950, but still only had 16 teams until 1959.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Irony level that knocking off those two years means it looks like the Celtics win more chips than the Lakers and you being a Celtics fan isn't lost here.

PROCESSING

The first black was signed into the NBA in 1950-51. Go to basketball-reference to see that the Lakers are credited with flags before that date.
    Thats fine we can go with 1950-51 when blacks started in the league. That would be a total of 1 championship won in an "all-white league" not 2.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Irony level that knocking off those two years means it looks like the Celtics win more chips than the Lakers and you being a Celtics fan isn't lost here.
    we should give him the benefit of the doubt... it is rare to see a boston fan on that side of the race issue...

kudos to bagwell for being the outlier in the most racist sports city in American History

we should give him the benefit of the doubt... it is rare to see a boston fan on that side of the race issue...

kudos to bagwell for being the outlier in the most racist sports city in American History
    Touché. But it doesn't change the conclusion other than giving Boston 17 chips in that timespan and LAL 16 (as opposed to 18). The most recent league merger was AFL/NFL. Maybe I'll look at it since that time and see what happened. Gut tells me we see similar results.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Touché. But it doesn't change the conclusion other than giving Boston 17 chips in that timespan and LAL 16 (as opposed to 18). The most recent league merger was AFL/NFL. Maybe I'll look at it since that time and see what happened. Gut tells me we see similar results.
    I was being sarcastic my friend...

His position is about as self serving and arbitrary as it gets...

lets just discount all the chips in the 50s and 60s because integration didn't exist

I was being sarcastic my friend...

His position is about as self serving and arbitrary as it gets...

lets just discount all the chips in the 50s and 60s because integration didn't exist
    Ok good because it was quite self serving.

There really needs to be a sarcasm font.

PROCESSING

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Should the title be changed?

Its 18 franchises not 17.
    My bad.

Who was the 18th team?
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    My bad.

Who was the 18th team?
    Your numerical list doesnt show Celtics.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Your numerical list doesnt show Celtics.
    Thanks! I'd give you an upvote if we were on Reddit.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast