Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,841

    Looking back at draft and off-season...

    Already looking back, and cant help but scratch my head and few things... both yancey and dupre were cut, biegel could start season missing game, adams could start season missing games, king from reports isnt quiet ready to be a number 1, and the rbs behind Montgomery have looked average. On top of that oline and linebacker depth looks scary thin... i don't know, i trust tt but seems like there were a lot of questionable decisions. I like all the free agents we picked up, but im starting to worry about defense again =( instead of drafting 3 rbs and 2 wrs couldnt we have taken shots on defense? We passed up on cook, kamara, tj watt, i dont know, just disappointed but well see how it plays out
    Last edited by StickyGreenFan; 09-02-2017 at 04:43 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,087
    Seems ridiculous to question the draft this soon. Their literally hasn't been an actual NFL game in their careers yet. Hard to blame TT on the injuries and spending a late pick on players to cut them isn't very surprising. All the WR's that were cut could still have a future on the Packers roster similar to Geronimo Allison last year.

    IMO it's also hard to judge the RB's too much while running behind the backup OL. That group had a pretty bad preseason which didn't do the RB's any favors.

    I think everyone realized King was a project pick. His height/weight/speed/athleticism is insane so down the road it could be an amazing pick or a bad pick. I don't see too much of a middle ground for him.

    I can't argue with the thought that maybe more late round fliers could have been thrown at defense but oh well. It was just late round picks and basically UDFA's so its not like it would make or break the draft. First 4 picks were defense so a LOT more value was put into defense than offense. Jones is looking like a stud also.
    Last edited by Kevolu; 09-02-2017 at 06:04 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    119,666
    Judging a class before week one... Gotta be patient crazy things happen.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,656
    And all the draft picks that were cut...isn't necessarily because they're "busts", we have a deep 53, and I'm sure some of them will stay with the packers and still have a chance to contribute, maybe even this year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    119,666
    Interesting point. Whether or not you cut someone also has to do with how good your roster is

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Judging a class before week one... Gotta be patient crazy things happen.
    Not necessarily judging the draft, but i think a lot of us were surprised at the lack of defensive drafting and its a little questionable. Lb has been one of the most pressing needs and got ignored again while 5, count em 5, went to wr and rb. Its waaaay to early to judge draft, but is king and house gonna prevent atlanta from putting up 40 plus? Is letting lang and tretter go gonna keep rodgers from getting killed by that seattle dline that keeps getting better? If perry or a declining matthews get injured hows our lb situation gonna look. Cmon lets just admit its questionable lol im along for the ride but i gotta admit im concerned, i think thats fair

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    6,758
    I'm assuming most of the picks who were cut come back on the PS we may lose one, but I can think of a handful of notable Packers just in the past 15 years who were either cut or near being cut due to early struggles Donald Driver, KGB, Davante Adams that's just a few there are plenty more who have been here. If they let this define them then they don't belong in the NFL. I think patience will be key especially for the young WRs. This is a team log jammed at WR. The injured ones I think will come back strong. We have to wait and see.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,656
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreenFan View Post
    Not necessarily judging the draft, but i think a lot of us were surprised at the lack of defensive drafting and its a little questionable. Lb has been one of the most pressing needs and got ignored again while 5, count em 5, went to wr and rb. Its waaaay to early to judge draft, but is king and house gonna prevent atlanta from putting up 40 plus? Is letting lang and tretter go gonna keep rodgers from getting killed by that seattle dline that keeps getting better? If perry or a declining matthews get injured hows our lb situation gonna look. Cmon lets just admit its questionable lol im along for the ride but i gotta admit im concerned, i think thats fair
    The first four, and most important picks went to defense. After that you're solely drafting off of BPA...position no longer plays a factor as the talent starts to water down.

    Sounds like complaining just to complain.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193
    Late in the draft is always about flyers. We spent the first 4 picks on defense. It's not like we didn't invest in defense at all. There's a limited number of roster spots regardless of position picked and we have a fairly deep roster.

    Sure we could have taken a late round flier on another corner, who may have made the roster over pipkins. But who's spot would a late round OLb have taken? Fackerall's spot? Maybe, but it's possible brooks takes that spot and likely beigel takes that spot if it's still around with no injuries by week 6.

    You complain about depth on the OL and not taking defense, then 2 of the 3 players you "suggest" we should have taken are running backs.

    Good teams shouldn't be relying on rookies to play significant roles anyways. Maybe you're first round pick can play enough and possibly start, but beyond that, for a championship caliber team, your rookies should be situational and depth guys in most cases. We haven't seen 2 of our top 4 picks play yet and come week 10 or so, both could easily be depth rotation guys if they get healthy.

    And we weren't going to draft OL help anyway. Spriggs looked pretty solid last year and if he played well, Murphy probably would have moved to guard. No one saw a bad camp coming from spriggs. And anyone who claims they did is a liar. You can't blame them for not drafting OL when we looked to have good Ol depth.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193
    And honestly, with the success rate of later round picks, of even just one of Williams, Jones or mays hits as a semi legit starting running back caliber players it's worth spending a 4th, 5th and 7th round pick on.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    The first four, and most important picks went to defense. After that you're solely drafting off of BPA...position no longer plays a factor as the talent starts to water down.

    Sounds like complaining just to complain.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its complaining out of concern, im just worries about defense still thats all. You feel that with the draft and moves we made defense is fixed? Ill just ask that way

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193
    Fixed is all relative. Are we going to have the best defense in the NFL? Probably not.

    But what moves would you have made? Signed one of those corners for big money? The best free agent pass rusher available to us was Perry. Otherwise, top pass rushers didn't make it to the market. I could see an argument that we should have gone pass rusher earlier, like watt, but corner was a need too.

    I was never a huge king fan, but if king hits, he probably has the highest ceiling of the corners in the draft, at least the highest ceiling of the guys to go 20 or later. So I see the appeal. I also didn't love the Jones pick, but now I can clearly see the potential plan for him.

    I'm still not big on the Adams pick, but the only OLB to go between Adams and beigel was trey Hendrickson. And I liked beigel better than him anyways. If watt hits and king doesn't, the trade will look bad. But i completely get it and the idea of having beigel and king is better than just watt.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Fixed is all relative. Are we going to have the best defense in the NFL? Probably not.

    But what moves would you have made? Signed one of those corners for big money? The best free agent pass rusher available to us was Perry. Otherwise, top pass rushers didn't make it to the market. I could see an argument that we should have gone pass rusher earlier, like watt, but corner was a need too.

    I was never a huge king fan, but if king hits, he probably has the highest ceiling of the corners in the draft, at least the highest ceiling of the guys to go 20 or later. So I see the appeal. I also didn't love the Jones pick, but now I can clearly see the potential plan for him.

    I'm still not big on the Adams pick, but the only OLB to go between Adams and beigel was trey Hendrickson. And I liked beigel better than him anyways. If watt hits and king doesn't, the trade will look bad. But i completely get it and the idea of having beigel and king is better than just watt.
    I would have been for taking watt, jones, adams, and cbs in 4th - 7th depending who was available. I like kings potential, i like adams and jones, biegel i thought had potential, but it just woulda made more sense to me to put emphasis on lb too. You gave literally one 4th rnd pick to address it in a draft where you had a lot of picks. Loving the free agents in last few weeks too though, dial and brooks are good additions

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    119,666
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreenFan View Post
    I would have been for taking watt, jones, adams, and cbs in 4th - 7th depending who was available. I like kings potential, i like adams and jones, biegel i thought had potential, but it just woulda made more sense to me to put emphasis on lb too. You gave literally one 4th rnd pick to address it in a draft where you had a lot of picks. Loving the free agents in last few weeks too though, dial and brooks are good additions
    This sounds great but I swear if we did it everyone would be worried about the future of CB and wondering why we didn't address it enough.


    It doesn't help King (who I always thought was a project) doesn't look like anything and Watt has already flashed though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Having 4 All Pros on offense=fairy tale.
    Having a look in your eye=key to NFL success.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Schofield, WI
    Posts
    1,574
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Fixed is all relative. Are we going to have the best defense in the NFL? Probably not.

    But what moves would you have made? Signed one of those corners for big money? The best free agent pass rusher available to us was Perry. Otherwise, top pass rushers didn't make it to the market. I could see an argument that we should have gone pass rusher earlier, like watt, but corner was a need too.

    I was never a huge king fan, but if king hits, he probably has the highest ceiling of the corners in the draft, at least the highest ceiling of the guys to go 20 or later. So I see the appeal. I also didn't love the Jones pick, but now I can clearly see the potential plan for him.

    I'm still not big on the Adams pick, but the only OLB to go between Adams and beigel was trey Hendrickson. And I liked beigel better than him anyways. If watt hits and king doesn't, the trade will look bad. But i completely get it and the idea of having beigel and king is better than just watt.
    I thought King had a pretty good preseason and looks like a solid CB thus far. I really liked the Jones pick and Adams is a guy that can make a big impact on the defense. I am glad they have brought in some OLBs because depending on Matthews and Perry to stay healthy is just naive. Need more LBs in a 3-4. The depth there worries me and on the OL, but this is a very good team. If the defense can get back to 2010 forcing turnovers and I think the secondary is good enough if the Packers can get a rush. I also think the evolution of Clark will be a huge key.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •