Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How far can Yankees go?

At the All-Star Break I thought they had a chance even though it was a small one to make it to the A.L.C.S.

However reality has set in and I think we have to look to next year. They really don't play that well when they have to. Missed opportunities when the Sox had a recent losing streak but we had to match them and lose too.

Why don't we play any small ball when we face a pitcher who is shutting us down? It's the same old stuff. Get up, swing for the fences, just get under it, go back to the dugout and sit down.

They seem to take losing in stride. Girardi talks to the press and you can just about fall asleep listening to him. I love them but I just don't see them as a team who takes the field like some of the top teams in both leagues, who expect to win every time they take the field.

Next year boys.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

one of the biggest things i've noticed in the 2nd half is how hot and cold the bats can go from one game to another. Judge has obviously fallen off a cliff but he seems to be favoring that shoulder alot, It wouldn't surprise me if he needed a cortisone shot to help him get going again. Castro and Hicks have been up and down since they have returned, Bird has looked pretty good since he's been back, C frazier will be back soon and IMO I would love to see Andujar get some ABS at DH

I think our front 4 of our rotation are as good as any front 4 in the AL and the BP when right might be the best in baseball.

If they can get the bats going consistently like they were in the 1st half with as good as the front 4 and the BP are I think they can beat anyone in the AL. If the bats don't heat up and become more consistent then they might have trouble even making it to the WC game.

Hopefully they can take the last 2 games from the Soxs to start a little run if not we maybe waiting till next yr. Because of how hot we started the 2nd half has felt like a let down and injuries to key players have been a huge part of that. Considering were in the middle of a rebuild and no one expected us to be anywhere near the playoffs big picture this has been a great season for us In reality next yr and beyond is when we are going to setup extremely well to win big

I believe you go as far as your pitching takes you. We have a good rotation, better than most. The BP is one of the best. I think we have a good shot to advance if pitching performs to expectation.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein

My feeling just using the recent history... I expect them to go into the playoffs.. but the Wild Card game can be a tossup... but the ALDS is probably going to be where they end the season...

I say that simply because the Yanks have struggled against 2 teams.. Houston and Cleveland.. and I expect that they will face one of those two in the ALDS.. whether they are the WC team, or the AL East winner...

then again.. it's playoffs and anything can happen..
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies
    3. Whoever is playing the Red Sox tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    one of the biggest things i've noticed in the 2nd half is how hot and cold the bats can go from one game to another. Judge has obviously fallen off a cliff but he seems to be favoring that shoulder alot, It wouldn't surprise me if he needed a cortisone shot to help him get going again. Castro and Hicks have been up and down since they have returned, Bird has looked pretty good since he's been back, C frazier will be back soon and IMO I would love to see Andujar get some ABS at DH

I think our front 4 of our rotation are as good as any front 4 in the AL and the BP when right might be the best in baseball.

If they can get the bats going consistently like they were in the 1st half with as good as the front 4 and the BP are I think they can beat anyone in the AL. If the bats don't heat up and become more consistent then they might have trouble even making it to the WC game.

Hopefully they can take the last 2 games from the Soxs to start a little run if not we maybe waiting till next yr. Because of how hot we started the 2nd half has felt like a let down and injuries to key players have been a huge part of that. Considering were in the middle of a rebuild and no one expected us to be anywhere near the playoffs big picture this has been a great season for us In reality next yr and beyond is when we are going to setup extremely well to win big
    I think you sized it up perfectly. Hopefully you are right and it's this year. I would love to be wrong about them not going too far. They have the ability for sure.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I believe you go as far as your pitching takes you. We have a good rotation, better than most. The BP is one of the best. I think we have a good shot to advance if pitching performs to expectation.
    I agree our rotation since the start of the 2nd half has been one of the better ones in baseball and that BP is so good and deep that they can shut any offense down whenever they take over the game.

The weakness has been their ability to score runs consistently. We say it Friday in their 2-1 loss to Fister and the Soxs. As good as our pitching is if we don;t put runs on the board were not going very far. I'm very hopeful that a healthy Holliday will help alot, When he went down is right around the time Judge started to really struggle and we've all read how much Judge goes to Holliday for help and since Holliday has been back Judge has shown a little signs of life and his at bats looked alot better this weekend. If Bird, Judge and Holliday all get it going we could be very tough to beat.

I agree our rotation since the start of the 2nd half has been one of the better ones in baseball and that BP is so good and deep that they can shut any offense down whenever they take over the game.

The weakness has been their ability to score runs consistently. We say it Friday in their 2-1 loss to Fister and the Soxs. As good as our pitching is if we don;t put runs on the board were not going very far. I'm very hopeful that a healthy Holliday will help alot, When he went down is right around the time Judge started to really struggle and we've all read how much Judge goes to Holliday for help and since Holliday has been back Judge has shown a little signs of life and his at bats looked alot better this weekend. If Bird, Judge and Holliday all get it going we could be very tough to beat.
    True, only as strong as your weakest link.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein

Cleveland will probably be playing the Dodgers in the World Series. However, nothing is ever set in stone. It could be the Yankees against the Nationals. I like to think positively, though it would be a major surprise if it were to happen.

If the Yankees finish as a wild card, then the Yankees can beat the other wild card team, especially with Severino on the mound. I also believe that they can defeat Houston, because of the superior Yankees pitching, Verlander not withstanding. Then, if things shake out properly, they'll face Cleveland, who will beat Boston. Anything can happen in the ALCS and anything can happen in the World Series. Heck, the Dodgers could lose the NLCS to the Nationals, especially if Kirshaw suffers a relapse.

So, how far can the Yankees go. All the Way!!! Baby! How far will they go? Oddsmakers will have the best guesses at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Cleveland will probably be playing the Dodgers in the World Series. However, nothing is ever set in stone. It could be the Yankees against the Nationals. I like to think positively, though it would be a major surprise if it were to happen.

If the Yankees finish as a wild card, then the Yankees can beat the other wild card team, especially with Severino on the mound. I also believe that they can defeat Houston, because of the superior Yankees pitching, Verlander not withstanding. Then, if things shake out properly, they'll face Cleveland, who will beat Boston. Anything can happen in the ALCS and anything can happen in the World Series. Heck, the Dodgers could lose the NLCS to the Nationals, especially if Kirshaw suffers a relapse.

So, how far can the Yankees go. All the Way!!! Baby! How far will they go? Oddsmakers will have the best guesses at that time.
    What i actually find the most incredible thing in all this is that not only us Yankee fans but analysts are talking about us as a possibility as a playoff and if everything breaks right WS team. Considering where we were predicted to finish at the beginning of the yr and how many injuries we've suffered to key players just goes to show you what a great job Cashman has down with this rebuild. IMO starting with the IFA market and drafts a few yrs ago and what kind of returns we got at last yrs at the trade deadline and what he got at this yrs deadline without giving up huge pieces proves he is one of the better GMS in the game.

We always talk about getting Frazier and Torres last yr but he doesn't get nearly enough credit for getting Tate, Guzman and Abreau. Tate and Guzman have taken massive steps forward this yr and look like they could be dominate starters and Abreau has absolutely filthy stuff if he can stay healthy has as high of ceiling as any pitcher in the system.

If we get hot and lucky we could go a long way in the playoffs but the really exciting thing is how good we could be starting next yr and beyond

What i actually find the most incredible thing in all this is that not only us Yankee fans but analysts are talking about us as a possibility as a playoff and if everything breaks right WS team. Considering where we were predicted to finish at the beginning of the yr and how many injuries we've suffered to key players just goes to show you what a great job Cashman has down with this rebuild. IMO starting with the IFA market and drafts a few yrs ago and what kind of returns we got at last yrs at the trade deadline and what he got at this yrs deadline without giving up huge pieces proves he is one of the better GMS in the game.

We always talk about getting Frazier and Torres last yr but he doesn't get nearly enough credit for getting Tate, Guzman and Abreau. Tate and Guzman have taken massive steps forward this yr and look like they could be dominate starters and Abreau has absolutely filthy stuff if he can stay healthy has as high of ceiling as any pitcher in the system.

If we get hot and lucky we could go a long way in the playoffs but the really exciting thing is how good we could be starting next yr and beyond
    Imo that's the real story. No-one gave us a shot in hell this season, including most here on the board. I recall pre season win totals in the 60's and low seventies. ( I predicted 85-90, a bit optimistic, don't think we get there) We are fortunate youth came thru , pitching righted itself in time and key injuries healed. If Judge can only find his first half stroke I would sleep easier.

The Yankees already have Judge, Sanchez, Severino, Montgomery, Frazier and Green playing in the majors, contributing beyond many expectations. Torres, Andujar and Adams are still at Triple-A, waiting their turn and time. Sheffield and Acevedo are still at Double-A. Abreu, Tate, Florial, Perez, Guzman and others are lurking below that. Plenty of reasons the Yankees are excited about the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Our starting pitching is good not great. We do have a good bullpen. But our offense is very inconsistent especially the second half of the season. If we had the offense from the first half of the season our chances would've been better. But right now we have big question marks. Judge was the first half MVP, he's terrible now. Holiday was solid, but he's always hurt and has regressed, the same goes for Hicks. Gardner has regressed. We rely heavily on the long ball and we've been hitting less of them during the second half.

But regardless, this is good for this team. We're building a winning culture. Having playoff experience under their belts would pay dividends next year for this young team. I hope we make to at least the ALDS.
    Last edited by AFG-NYC; 09-05-2017 at 11:05 AM.

IDK

tough team to read

my answer changes every 2 days

Quote Originally Posted by pinstripezac View Post
    IDK

tough team to read

my answer changes every 2 days
    LOL Mine changes every fifth day or whenever Tanaka pitches.

We need him to be solid and consistent. No question marks

Say they win the WC or even the division. I have Servy, Sonny and Tank , in that order...
    #BringBackMatty

We have an excellent top 4 starting pitchers with Sevy, Gray, Tanaka, CC. We have a terrific bullpen. Sure guys could underperform but on paper we are very good playoff staff. In the lineup there have been some inconsistencies but the top level talent is there as well.

On paper if guys are playing well this team could honestly beat anyone and it not be a surprise. Probably the 4th best team in the AL paper but it wouldn't be a shock if they beat anyone.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast