Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pujols the worst player in the league

On pace to be the first baseball player in modern history to be the best and worst player in the league at different points in a career.

But this season, a new title can be assigned to Pujols: He’s the worst player in baseball.

Pujols has flat-out stunk up Angel Stadium. He’s hitting .230 (79 points below his previous career average) with an on-base plus slugging 26 percent worse than league average. Even in an age of ineffective designated hitters, Pujols has easily been the worst hitter at the position that provides the least defensive value (i.e., zero value). As a result, no player has been less valuable than Pujols this year: His -1.99 WAR ranks dead last among all players (including pitchers).

If he finishes the season in last place — which seems quite possible, as L.A. continues to pencil him into its starting lineup, day after day, despite his poor numbers — Pujols will become the first modern2 position player ever to be both baseball’s best and worst player at various points in his career. The worst finish by a former No. 1 player previously belonged to the delightfully named New York Yankees second baseman Snuffy Stirnweiss. Snuffy was baseball’s top position player in 1945, when many of the league’s best (such as Ted Williams, Stan Musial and Joe DiMaggio) were serving in the military. But he was also the league’s second-worst player in 1950, a miserable season that saw him hit .216 and get traded from the 98-win Yankees to the 58-win St. Louis Browns.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...r-in-baseball/

more in the article

The Lost Boys of PSD

Might as well add this. Check out this gif. Anyone reminded of The Waterboy with Mr Coach Klein watching the lowlights of the game when Bobby walks in.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/8/...contract-yeeps

"Oh and there's a groundball to the SS; oops he bobbled it, had time to pick it up, dust off the ball, pat his glove, and there is a nice easy lob to beat the hitter by multiple steps"

Screw what WAR says, Bautista has been worse.

Plantar Fascitias has to be a total ***** to try to play baseball with.

I said this in 2010, and I have said it since.

How in the hell did Albert Pujols enter his career as one of the most patient hitters in the game, with incredible plate discipline and control. He swung at strikes. Swung very hard at strikes. And took every thing off the plate with such incredible control. He made aggressive, smart moves around the field.

And as he aged. He became increasingly less and less patient over his career. It makes no sense.

As players age, they usually get more patient. Not less. And he went from one of the most patient hitters in baseball, to one of the least.

I do not understand it. I do not know why it is happening. It amazes me.

He has aged. That isn't a surprise, the body is wearing down and plantar fasciatas has to really suck to try to play on. But his demise is directly related to his plate discipline. His body wearing down only exacerbates it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

How in the hell did Albert Pujols enter his career as one of the most patient hitters in the game, with incredible plate discipline and control. He swung at strikes. Swung very hard at strikes. And took every thing off the plate with such incredible control. He made aggressive, smart moves around the field.

And as he aged. He became increasingly less and less patient over his career. It makes no sense.

As players age, they usually get more patient. Not less. And he went from one of the most patient hitters in baseball, to one of the least.

He has aged. That isn't a surprise, the body is wearing down and plantar fasciatas has to really suck to try to play on. But his demise is directly related to his plate discipline. His body wearing down only exacerbates it.
    Seeing it with Bautista too. We knew he was in decline but always thought he would still take the walks. Now he just swings at everything.

The Lost Boys of PSD

It makes you wonder whether or not Pujols is going to retire, or continue playing through this contract. Like Jeffy said, plantar fascitis has to be a total ***** to play with, and Pujols is well up over 30. The only accomplishment he has left is 700 home runs, which he could do in theory over the last four years of his contract.

The question is, was this contract, in the end, going to be worth it for the Angels? He's hit his 500th and 600th home run in an Angels uniform and they've certainly boosted attendance, sales, etc from that, and if he doesn't retire, he has an outside chance at 700. Or with all of that taken into account, still a bust from the Angels perspective?

I'd lean towards more of a bust, because Arte Moreno made a big deal about spending and wanting the best team out there, but once the luxury tax got prohibitively expensive, he's not done any big moves except extend Trout, and he's also recovering from some other bad contracts. But the Pujols money could be making a difference somewhere else, and not tied up in a player who is clearly on his last legs.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    It makes you wonder whether or not Pujols is going to retire, or continue playing through this contract. Like Jeffy said, plantar fascitis has to be a total ***** to play with, and Pujols is well up over 30. The only accomplishment he has left is 700 home runs, which he could do in theory over the last four years of his contract.

The question is, was this contract, in the end, going to be worth it for the Angels? He's hit his 500th and 600th home run in an Angels uniform and they've certainly boosted attendance, sales, etc from that, and if he doesn't retire, he has an outside chance at 700. Or with all of that taken into account, still a bust from the Angels perspective?

I'd lean towards more of a bust, because Arte Moreno made a big deal about spending and wanting the best team out there, but once the luxury tax got prohibitively expensive, he's not done any big moves except extend Trout, and he's also recovering from some other bad contracts. But the Pujols money could be making a difference somewhere else, and not tied up in a player who is clearly on his last legs.
    I feel like the price for Pujols dollars for value over the time of the deal probably isn't such a awful deal in the end (as bad as we would suspect). Though, still probably a loss. As a Cards fan, I'm happy we dodged that bullet. But Cards fans would have allowed him to age and be overpaid and not really complained.

But the way it has restricted the Angels is killer, probably would have the Cards as well.

Wilson, Hamilton, and Pujols deals have kept the Angels from fielding competitive teams around this generations best player.

I also personally hope Pujols carries on and hits 715.

I don't know much about PF. I believe he's had surgery. Can it improve over time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he's still due like 114 million over the next 4 years.... that is amazing

I am not going to rush to judgment yet until I see next yr, but Miguel Cabrera looks to be traveling down the same road. Especially now that he is in rebuild and motivation may be a little hard to muster on a day-to-day basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

Craig Biggio's walk totals diminished during his last few seasons too.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward