Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They are essentially banking on Jack Flaherty being just as productive and then using the 10-12 million they save per year on improving another part of the roster

Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    They are essentially banking on Jack Flaherty being just as productive and then using the 10-12 million they save per year on improving another part of the roster
    Which, outside of the pen, where is there an obvious upgrade possible?

We have like 8 outfielders.
    Fowler isn't going anywhere.
    Pham deserves to play every day
    Piscotty is getting paid to play every day
    O'Neill, Martinez, Bader, Sierra, and Grichuk deserve opportunities.

So unless they are going to package Piscotty with another outfielder in a trade for an outfielder, I don't see the possible upgrade in the outfield in free agency. I can see a 5th outfielder that can be relied on off the bench, but they need to let the kids play every day to see what we have long term.

Infield sees:
    C - Molina/Kelly are both under control for several more years
    1B - Voit is too good of a hitter for AAA and needs AB's. Carpenter is really a 1B any way, and both are under control for several more years
    2B - Wong/Gryoko are both under control for several years, both deserve to play everyday
    SS - DeJong is an impressive rookie this year who appears to obviously be an everyday guy. Diaz is trying to reinvent himself as a utility guy as he figures out what went wrong this year after a good year last year
    3B - Gyroko/Carpenter/Garcia all need AB's and are under control.

Maybe a right handed hitting 3B, so Gyroko can play all four infield positions as the main backup, and we have an infield of new 3B (Frazier?), SS - DeJong, 2B - Wong, 1B - Carpenter/Voit with Gyoko playing regularly everywhere? But with Voit, that moves Carpenter to 3B.

So I don't see the position player upgrade that we can handle.

Rotation next year right now is
    1. Martinez
    2. Reyes
    3. Wacha
    4. Weaver
    5. Wainwright/Flaherty/Hudson

I can see them engaging Lynn, but I don't see him being re-signed. Wainwright's entering his last year. There are too many pitchers that deserve chances before you go out and buy someone.

Bullpen has opportunities:

L - Lyons
    L - Cecil
    L - Siegrist
    L - Sheriff
    R - Tuivailala
    R - Brebbia
    R - Socolovich
    R - Lucas
    R - Gant
    R - Mayers

R - Oh and Rosenthal are likely gone

So outside of signing a right handed reliever (Holland if he declines player option?) seems expensive

we have 101M in player commitments next year (probably 6-8ish in arb). We can afford about $160M in player payroll.

that's $50M available for a roster that doesn't have obvious needs.

We have a ton of depth, but not a lot of high level of talent. All of our players have holes. We are just loaded with 2 WAR players everywhere, with a ton of payroll flexibility, and no obvious areas to upgrade without finding significant trading partners who want to play that game with us.

Most off-seasons, it seems pretty obvious what we need to do. Not these last two off-seasons. We are a .500 team without obvious areas to develop/improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Who in the hell would take him and his contract? One of Moz's worst deals ever, getting out of any part of the deal would be awesome.
    You guys ate almost 20 mill right?

Quote Originally Posted by KingPosey View Post
    You guys ate almost 20 mill right?
    Yeah, saw that hours after that post.

3/36 for him isn't great, but not awful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lance Lynn is none too happy about the deal. Nor his own situation with the club.

“If you look at everything that’s happened so far, there’s been no acquisitions. There’s been taking away — whether that’s been injuries or trades."

“So we’re five back in both and we’re taking away a pitcher who can pitch 200 innings and get outs at a high level. That’s tough.”

“You can’t say that. There’s been no talks. There’s been zero communication whatsoever. I’m sure whenever the time comes — when the World Series is over and five days after, I’m sure somebody will talk to me. I just don’t know who it is. They’ve had a whole season. Five days isn’t going to matter. But I just work here.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12