Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Landry on trading block?

According to Michael Lombardi, the Dolphins have “made it be known” that they will trade WR Jarvis Landry for the right price and Miami is as active as other teams in trade talks right now.

Almost anyone can be had for the "right" price, but I can see it. Can't pay Stills, Landry and Parker, and we don't have much cap next year after paying Cutler. Seems they have picked Parker over Landry and being one is a slot and the other isn't it is the right choice IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Almost anyone can be had for the "right" price, but I can see it. Can't pay Stills, Landry and Parker, and we don't have much cap next year after paying Cutler. Seems they have picked Parker over Landry and being one is a slot and the other isn't it is the right choice IMO.
    Exactly. I really like Landry, but I just don't see how he's a Dolphin moving forward. He helps us move the chains, but he's not a "scorer" (at least not historically). As his price tag increases, the likelihood of him returning any kicks/punts plummets as well (making him less valuable in other ways). Between Stills and Parker, they are going to eat up most of what we can afford at the receiver position. Landry is going to expect to be paid like one of the best in the league, and I just don't see like 2 million per TD worth it.

If we are going to lose him next year to a higher bidder (which is EXTREMELY likely IMO), we may as well go ahead and get what we can for him. A third-round compensatory pick is likely for him if he just moves on, but we could get a 2nd if we can find the "right partner". I wouldn't like to see him go, but we have too many holes on our team to spend so much on weapons (especially if we can't keep the QB upright to throw to them). If there is one thing that we are seeing on this team, it's that we are solid at scouting receivers. We may as well save the money and get a young up-and-comer an opportunity to shine.
    Coming Soon...Isaac Asiata

If someone offers us a good young corner and a 2nd round pick, you do it and don't look back.

I love Landry, I really do. But it is not smart to pay all 3 receivers, we moved up for Carroo and he has had a great camp.

A WR core of Parker, Stills, Carroo, Grant, Stringfellow and whichever young guy the staff likes is defenitely not too shabby. Jarvis takes us to a whole new level, but if it means shoring up our secondary I'm bout it.
    Last edited by MiamiBoy77; 08-27-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Dolphins are not listening to trade offers, and that the suggestion is “zero percent” accurate.

A team last inquired about Landry in the spring. The talks never went anywhere, because the Dolphins want to keep Landry around.

Regardless of whether the Dolphins would listen (they won’t), the question becomes which team in its right mind would try to trade for Landry two weeks before Week One? When the Rams acquired receiver Sammy Watkins more than two weeks ago, the Rams knew they had limited time to get Watkins up to speed. With less than two weeks to get Landry comfortable with the playbook, the play calls, the audibles, his quarterback, his other receivers, the coaches, etc., there would be limited value for 2017.

The Browns are scouring the trade market for a wide receiver, according to Tony Grossi of ESPN.com

I might be calling to find out what there offer to Landry could be considering the have a ton a picks

Quote Originally Posted by jtownsfine5t View Post
    Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Dolphins are not listening to trade offers, and that the suggestion is “zero percent” accurate.

A team last inquired about Landry in the spring. The talks never went anywhere, because the Dolphins want to keep Landry around.

Regardless of whether the Dolphins would listen (they won’t), the question becomes which team in its right mind would try to trade for Landry two weeks before Week One? When the Rams acquired receiver Sammy Watkins more than two weeks ago, the Rams knew they had limited time to get Watkins up to speed. With less than two weeks to get Landry comfortable with the playbook, the play calls, the audibles, his quarterback, his other receivers, the coaches, etc., there would be limited value for 2017.
    I just don't see how there can be "zero percent" accuracy in that report. I have no doubt that we WANT to keep Landry...it's just that financially, it doesn't make any sense. We can't end up with like a fifth of our salary cap going to three receivers. We already paid Stills, we will have to pay Parker (because he is likely to be the best weapon on this team), and simply put, that makes a (soon to be high-paid) non-scoring slot receiver expendable. I don't necessarily believe that he'll be moved before the first game of the season, but if we aren't listening to offers, then we aren't doing our due diligence. We NEED to move him to get the most value for him. A player plus a second-round pick could actually happen for someone of his caliber. I would say that the high-pick hoarders (Browns) would be the PERFECT team to be speaking with right now.

Seems alot of people are denying this report and say Phins are not looking to deal him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Seems alot of people are denying this report and say Phins are not looking to deal him.
    I guess that my point is that if this report is true or not, isn't really the issue. I doubt that we are "actively shopping" Landry, but I wouldn't be surprised if we are listening to offers. Will we deal him? Probably not...only one that blows us away will be considered. Let's say that we aren't listening to offers. Then we are just going to lose him for a compensatory pick when the time comes. I know that we are all about growing and developing our own talent, and Landry is the epitome of what you hope you get in the draft...he's virtually perfect. But that's the problem. He's so good at everything that he does, that he deserves to be paid accordingly. At fair market value, he will cost in the same ballpark as Stills and Parker (when Parker gets his extension).

You just can't responsibly afford as an organization, to spend such a large percentage of your cap on three guys at the same position. Again, I don't think that we actually end up moving on from Landry this season, but I do feel that we lose him in free agency...guaranteed. He will make more elsewhere, and without taking a big hometown discount, we will lose him for nothing more than a compensatory pick the following season. It only makes sense to try to find a way to help your organization in the long-term if possible.

I'm sure the Phins would listen, but I highly doubt they pull the trigger on a trade unless it was for a 1st rd pick. If a team deemed to be either middle of the pack or fringe playoff team came to them and offered a 1st rd pick, believing Landry was a missing piece to their team, then I would strongly consider trading him for a first.

For us to give him $9-10M/yr, with Parker coming up in a couple years, is scary, but it is doable. Landry has talent, heart and grit. That is hard to find in players these days. I prefer to keep him, even at those prices. But a 1st rd pick, or a combo of 2nd and 3rd, would certainly get my attention.

And also keep in mind the possibility of gaining cap space with Tannehill (if we draft a 1st rd QB, keep Cutler, restructure Tannehill). Lots of moving parts to our cap space next year.

I wouldn't say we are great at scouting WRs. Grant has been amazing but he will always be an injury risk because of his size. he is easily the 4th best WR but Carroo has straight up stunk

as for Landry I think we could get a R1 pick for him and for me I still wouldn't do it. I pay him next offseason

lots of ways we can make money just by cutting some of the expensive fat on our team that are not worth the contracts anymore
    Maxwell
    Julius
    Phillips
    James
    maybe even Pouncey

Cutler or TH has to go. if its TH resigning Cutler will cost about the same as this year. if its Cutler you have to restructure TH

you can extend Wake again or Timmons

half that fat will be cut. the other half is tough decisions and idk which way they go with

a surprise possible crazy idea Is trading Suh next offeason.
    1. you could get 2 first round picks for him
    2. the top 2 teams with cap space have more than enough cap, draft picks and need for it to work. Browns/49ers. 49ers have Earl Mitchell starting. Browns come on Myles Garrett + Suh = woah. Browns have the LB core. they have the DEs. they need the DTs, Secondary, WRs and they are a complete team
    3. its a very good LB class (for once) and DT class. you have Nnadi, Payne, Vea, Wilkins, Lotulelei. also could be some really good free agent DTs
    4. you could draft Da'ron Payne in the 1st and have Payne and Godchaux as your starting DTs. elite combo for years. Harris, Godchaux, Payne, ???. an almost complete elite DL across the board
    5. you still have the other 2 first round picks. you also now have free agency $$$ up the wazoo to add to other positions

my point is this you have ways. I like the Suh way but like I said its crazy but you have the fat trimming way as well

to me the Miami Dolphins have 1 completely untradeable player because he is too good and 1 fringe untradeable player. the 1 that's completely untradeable for me is Ajayi. the one that's a fringe is Landry. everybody else is tradeable for the right price for me. Landry is a stud and it boggles me that a lot of Phins fans are ok with the thought of trading him

I mean crap if Parker balls out like everyone expects you can trade him for a 1st rounder. that gives you 4 of them. that gives you the ammo to get a QB if you believe he transforms your franchise or to simply get James Washington.

Washington, Stills, Landry is just as deadly if not more so. now you are only paying 2 big money and all are completely healthy
    Last edited by tunnicliffderek; 09-05-2017 at 08:13 AM.

This isn't Madden man.

Suh is not netting Miami 2 First round picks.
    Extend Suh and this will create a crap ton of salary cap. You can convert a lot of his money into guaranteed as he isn't an Albert Haynesworth and competes to the end.

Timmons is just a stop gap for this year and next. HE has way too much tread on his tires to extend him. We will move on from him after 2018.

I still want a qb round 1 if we have a bad season this year and play 16 games in a row is absolutely stupid so we can thank the NFL for that. If they really cared about player safety then this game would've been moved to a neutral site. The NFL dragged it's feet on this, as usual, and couldn't come up with a decision until Wed at like 10am. If the NFL had any common sense Roger would cancel the London game and let Miami have back their home, first saw Mando come up with this idea.

I have to agree, Suh is not netting two 1st rd picks. But I also agree that we are not going to trade the guy anytime soon either. I think he ends his career with the Dolphins. We'll see what Grant and Carroo are made of this season. If they play good, then I wouldn't be shocked to see Landry franchised and then traded.

Also, I think we have to look at a QB in the first two rounds next year. Not necessarily round 1, but we need young talent behind Tannehill or Cutler (whoever). Otherwise, we better invest heavily in the OL next year to protect Tannehill from another blow-out.

My guess is Cutler goes nuts in our offense, and makes the decision to keep him very, very hard to ignore. 2-3 years of Cutler at 15-16M per year while grooming a high draft pick, or another 1-2 years of Tannehill at 20M per year while grooming a high draft pick?

Going to be a fun year!!! Phins up!

Suh would net 2 but ok

I don't want a QB in round 1 as the QB I am leaning towards right now is Nick Fitzgerald

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast