Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Changes For 2018

How many will they make? Who's gone next year? I see significant changes but not wholesale changes. A starter, likely two, Cashner could be decent fit. Some veteran depth at 2b as Travis is a piece of glass. Barney needs to be upgraded upon. A Lowrie could add some depth there. Corner outfielder or two....one with power, one who can get on-base and bat 2nd or 3rd in order. Maybe a Markakis and Bruce? A veteran bullpen guy like Benoit. Can relieve pressure off Osuna and guide him a little. As Osuna troubles is between the ears. Wildcard what you will get out of them.

If Stanton will waive to come here, I would seriously consider it. It won't cost much prospect wise and if the likes of Harper, Trout and Machado get what it looks like they will the contract won't be as much of an albatross. It's an extreme long shot and would probably mean the end of the JD era.

A leadoff hitter. For the love of ****ing God, please get a leadoff hitter. I don't care what position he plays.

Changes For 2018

A closing type lefty out of the pen. A good SS/2B on a short deal. A couple starters hopefully one top end one and a big bat corner OF.

I'd let the back up C position be filled by One of Jansen/McGuire/Pentecost let Mayza be the 2nd lefty over Loup well Barnes and Leone get a bullpen spot and let one or two of AA/Pompey/DSJ/Hernandez get one corner position and 4/5th outfielder. Say bye to JB try to look to trade Morales for sure and listen on guys like Pillar, Pearce possibly even Happ and Smoak if teams are gonna really overpay for him.

I'd sign or trade for short deals try to get some young blood in there and if they aren't competitive come July unload JD and who ever else.

It would be nice to have Biagani- Borucki-Greene-SRF-Rowley as starting depth next season well Stro-Sanchez-FA-Happ-Estrada are the rotation.

Take Bautista money + more from payroll increase and sign the best pitcher possible (Arrieta would be nice, but obviously there would be a ton of competition and he'd need to want to be here). Either way, best starter possible is a priority.

I'd be happy to see them go young in the outfield. I'd like to see Hernandez, Alford, Pompey, Smith Jr., compete for a couple OF spots. The defense would be much better. The offense couldn't get THAT much worse in a worst case scenario.

I'd also love to see them get a quality utility play who is decent with the bat. Not sure if you could trade for a guy like Josh Harrison, but he's the type of player I'd be looking for. I appreciate the work Barney and Goins have done, but we need an everyday guy who can swing a bat and play multiple positions. Hard to find, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    If Stanton will waive to come here, I would seriously consider it. It won't cost much prospect wise and if the likes of Harper, Trout and Machado get what it looks like they will the contract won't be as much of an albatross. It's an extreme long shot and would probably mean the end of the JD era.
    I would consider it too... also with his ability to opt out after 2020 you may only have him for 3 years max... at worse you have him until 37 which is not too bad, his last few years could go either way but he'll give you 7-8 years of production.

I think with the new ownership though I think they will be cautious in dealing Stanton. If they do I think they would want some value back even with the type of contract Stanton has. If they simply salary dump, it'll make the team look bad again and for new ownership typically they want to spend, not dump contracts to make winners.

So tough to say, would inquire for sure. Also, Stanton would need to waive his no trade... if Toronto is truly contending he might but being moved to Canada and also with the income tax rate, I assume he would not waive it to come here.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    A closing type lefty out of the pen. A good SS/2B on a short deal. A couple starters hopefully one top end one and a big bat corner OF.

I'd let the back up C position be filled by One of Jansen/McGuire/Pentecost let Mayza be the 2nd lefty over Loup well Barnes and Leone get a bullpen spot and let one or two of AA/Pompey/DSJ/Hernandez get one corner position and 4/5th outfielder. Say bye to JB try to look to trade Morales for sure and listen on guys like Pillar, Pearce possibly even Happ and Smoak if teams are gonna really overpay for him.

I'd sign or trade for short deals try to get some young blood in there and if they aren't competitive come July unload JD and who ever else.

It would be nice to have Biagani- Borucki-Greene-SRF-Rowley as starting depth next season well Stro-Sanchez-FA-Happ-Estrada are the rotation.
    Agreed, get Jansen in there next year to work with Martin who could help him with his defence for sure. I think the first year Jansen needs to take in everything Martin gives him. Also, with Martin's age, Jansen should get some decent playing time as well. Pentecost should be in Triple A next year, his development has been awfully slow.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post

No chance we get Arrieta, I assume the Cubs will spend the money to keep him since they are in the middle of their prime contending era.

I dont mind keeping Pearce as a DH who can also play 1st or the outfield in a need be situation. It's nice to have kind of an old school big pinch hit bat on the bench. At $6mil it's not like he's expensive but if you cant get something decent back I dont mind trading him off. I would much rather trade off Morales who cant do anything (horrible horrible deal by the Jays to get him). I would offer to eat half his deal just so you can get him out of here and give some guys some rest with DH opportunities (Tulo, Donaldson, Smoak, etc).

And as for starters I doubt we get Arrietta or Darvish. I think Lance Lynn, Jason Vargas or Andrew Cashner might be more realistic but would have to overpay to get them to Toronto. Estrada likes Toronto so if the numbers work he'll be back. Ryan Borucki may even be ready to come up next year, you never know. If not at the beginning of the year, definitely sometime mid-season.

As for outfield you could get Jay Bruce for RF if you want to spend the money (though he's not that great defensively) and try out Alford/Hernandez for RF. Or you can save the money and try DSJ/Alford/Hernandez for the outfield. I assume all 3 guys will be up in Sept anyways so best time to give them a long-term look and see how they do. Pillar at CF is fine because his defence is so good. If he just was a little more patient at the plate he could be a decent hitter, unfortunately he's not (tho walks are up this year). But if you can trade him for another piece, again I would consider it (especially since he's got a good shot at the gold glove this year).
    Last edited by Sanyo; 08-27-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    A leadoff hitter. For the love of ****ing God, please get a leadoff hitter. I don't care what position he plays.
    Priority NUMBER ****EN 1

Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    Agreed, get Jansen in there next year to work with Martin who could help him with his defence for sure. I think the first year Jansen needs to take in everything Martin gives him. Also, with Martin's age, Jansen should get some decent playing time as well. Pentecost should be in Triple A next year, his development has been awfully slow.

http://jaysfromthecouch.com/2017/08/...atcher-option/

this article says he hasn't been playing catcher for the past 3 years because they don't wanna risk his shoulder getting hurt and if that's true then they should explore trading him . The guy is injury prone ... He's currently on the DL as we speak

My best guess at next years opening day lineup:

Alford- LF
    Travis- 2B
    Donaldson- 3B
    Smoak- DH
    Morales- DH
    Tulo- SS
    Martin- C
    Hernandez- RF
    Pillar- CF

Bench

Lopez/Jansen
    Carrera/Fields
    Goins
    Pearce

Sanchez
    Stroman
    Happ
    Estrada
    Biagini/FA/Koehler

Bullpen

Osuna
    Tepera
    Leone
    Mayza
    Ramirez
    Barnes
    FA/Biagini/Koehler

I think they extend Donaldson, bring back Estrada and land one other solid FA pitcher. The rest of the holes are kids promoted. If no FA is found, Biagini and Koehler battle for the #5 starter spot and the loser goes to the bullpen.
    Last edited by bartron_44; 08-30-2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: brain fart forgetting Danny Barnes in the bullpen

^I see most of this too barring any drastic changes which i highly doubt (i.e. trading JD, Osuna, Pillar or cutting Tulo)

Though i think Biagini and Barnes are in the 2018 pen. Osuna, Biagini, Tepera, Leone, Barnes, Loup and a FA lefty like McGee or Logan. Watson is an option as we went after him last off-season but might be too expensive. I see Mayza and McDermody as our Loup of a few years ago; a lefty with options. Liriano as well... could be a lefty in the pen and your 6th guy.

Rotation for the most part is set if they re-sign Estrada which i expect. So they need a 5th starter... i prefer someone youngish with options that could be a 3 or 4 for 3-4 years if/when Happ and Estrada move on. Though they could make a move for someone like Matt Moore as their 5th guy, rumors have it is that San Fran might want to free his money. CC is an option as a former Tribe who played under Shapiro.

If they want to contend then they need a bigger upgrade (or upside) in one of the corner OF spots. Someone like Pederson or Puig comes to mind. Dodgers likely need roster spots and probably dont mind shedding money for Otani. They have Bellinger, Pederson, Puig, Taylor, Toles, and Hernandez all under contract next season in the OF (Adrain Gonzalez has a year left so Bellinger is likely in the OF until that deal expires). In addition, they have Kershaw, Hill, McCarthy, Wood, Maeda and Kazmir under contract in the rotation.

Pederson/Puig and McCarthy/Kazmir might be of interest for the Jays. More Puig than Pederson, Dodgers have one more year left on Puig and have been rumored to moving him. Kazmir is likely a no go as he is owed 16M next season and has only pitched 9 inning in AAA (though he credits his career turnaround to the Indians when Shapiro was there) - could be an option if he is DFA'd.

I prefer Pederson but Puig at 26 who is owed 7.5M next season who is currently having a 2 WAR season and McCarthy at 35 in the midst of a 2.3 WAR season who is owed 10M in 2018. Puig in your 2018 lineup and McCarthy as your 5th starter isnt bad.

I see Alford in AAA as your first call up and likely CF replacement in 2019 with Hernandez winning the LF job.

Jays REALLY need to improve their bench. Jansen as the backup catcher isnít ideal but he is Rule 5 eligible so he could make the team. Pearce would be a great bench bat. I think they Jays really need to improve on their middle infield bench if they are going with Travis and Tulo for 2018. I would like to see a trade for Jed Lowrie who is owed 6.5M. I donít like Zeke because he is an awful defender but I bet he is back for 2019 as your 4th OF.

Lineup:
    Travis- 2B
    Donaldson- 3B
    Smoak- DH
    Morales- DH
    Martin- C
    Puig - RF
    Tulo- SS
    Hernandez- LF
    Pillar- CF

Bench:
    Jansen
    Carrera
    Lowrie
    Pearce

Rotation:
    Sanchez
    Stroman
    Happ
    Estrada
    McCarthy

Bullpen:
    Osuna
    Biagini
    Tepera
    Leone
    Barnes
    Loup
    Liriano

Your 2018 team might have a lot more depth in AAA to deal with injuries.

McGuire at catcher. Tellez at 1B. Gurriel and Urena in the middle infield. Alford, Smith, Refsynder in the OF.

Harris, Greene, SRF, Pannone, Borucki, Rowley, Case, Ramirez and others are all options for pen spots. More of those guys are likely fill in rotation options too.
    Last edited by phillipmike; 08-29-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Sign Lynn
    Sign bruce

That would probably exhaust our spending capabilities but would be the high floor moves our gm favors.

Martin
    Jd
    Smoak
    Bruce
    Morales
    Travis
    Tulo
    Pillar
    Hernandez/alford

Happ, sanchez, stro, Lynn, internal pitcher until a prospect is ready and then move the internal pitcher to pen

Keeps us competitive and attendance up while allowing the farm another full year of growth which is huge for us.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Steve Pearce?

Couple of the Cards players having bad years intrigue me. They also have tons of outfield depth so I wouldn't mind a guy like Piscotty.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast