Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranking the remaining top free agents

Who would be the top of your list and why? Which player would you want your team to extend PTOs to?

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/8/22/1...n-thomas-vanek

Some of the names include:

Jaromir Jagr
    Thomas Vanek
    Jarome Iginla
    PA Parenteau
    Brian Gionta
    Cody Franson
    Dennis Wideman
    Fedor Tyutin

Haters gonna hate

Cody Franson, big body, fairly inexpensive
    we've seen the best hockey already from everyone else, their too old

Thomas Vanek.
    Past his prime but is still a serious threat to score.

Devils Signed Stafford today, 1 year 800k

Quote Originally Posted by kevin13697 View Post
    Cody Franson, big body, fairly inexpensive
    we've seen the best hockey already from everyone else, their too old
    Surprised he's not signed yet honestly. He wouldn't be expensive, like you said, and he'd probably give you solid 12-14 minutes a night on the last pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    Thomas Vanek.
    Past his prime but is still a serious threat to score.
    I like Vanek but his laziness is REAL. I mean it's getting to a point where it looks like he's just disinterested in hockey sometimes. His play without the puck is laughable at best. He'd need to play on a line (say...like Bergeron/Marchand?) that would cover his *** on a nightly basis.

Haters gonna hate

Quote Originally Posted by Shaiza View Post
    Surprised he's not signed yet honestly. He wouldn't be expensive, like you said, and he'd probably give you solid 12-14 minutes a night on the last pairing.

I like Vanek but his laziness is REAL. I mean it's getting to a point where it looks like he's just disinterested in hockey sometimes. His play without the puck is laughable at best. He'd need to play on a line (say...like Bergeron/Marchand?) that would cover his *** on a nightly basis.
    Clearly you didn't watch a single game of Vanek last season.

Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    I think he was pretty solid with the Red Wings. I know where you are trying to take this. He did pretty well given his limited ice time as well. But his stint with the Panthers was pretty embarrassing. There is a reason why teams are scared to sign him. Seems like he tries when he wants to and shuts it off when he doesn't want to. It's pretty real.

Haters gonna hate

Last year was definitely a bounce back for him, but he wasn't playing much inspired hockey the past few years before that. Weird few years for him, but I think he'll catch on somewhere and do well given the chance.

I'm surprised there's been so little interest in Jagr and Franson. They can both be useful and contribute for teams.
    2015 Adopt-a-Packer: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Quote Originally Posted by JLynn943 View Post
    Last year was definitely a bounce back for him, but he wasn't playing much inspired hockey the past few years before that. Weird few years for him, but I think he'll catch on somewhere and do well given the chance.

I'm surprised there's been so little interest in Jagr and Franson. They can both be useful and contribute for teams.
    If I'm not mistaken he had the highest points per game on the Red Wings. He was used in a limited and protected position. He was flawless in the shootout and worked well with so many different line combinations. He is judged big time on his playoff performance with the Canadiens and turning down a massive contract from the Islanders. Obviously his game in Minnesota was sub-par. Even then he had 93 points in 154 games averaging about 50 points per season.

He's never been a hard forechecker, relentless in that area but he's smart. I was amazed with the hooking he would do, which he gets away with. I think Vanek needs the right situation again. He worked well with speed in Detroit. He's a great passer and has a wicked shot. High offensive IQ. Last season he was super impressive to me and it's a shame cap wise Detroit couldn't get him back.

His Florida game wasn't great but many deadline players struggle. Going to a new team 75 percent into the season. Florida isn't exactly dynamite offensively. Simply put, if you didn't watch him play, don't use reputation opinions. He brought it with Detroit, a miserable team.

If I'm not mistaken he had the highest points per game on the Red Wings. He was used in a limited and protected position. He was flawless in the shootout and worked well with so many different line combinations. He is judged big time on his playoff performance with the Canadiens and turning down a massive contract from the Islanders. Obviously his game in Minnesota was sub-par. Even then he had 93 points in 154 games averaging about 50 points per season.
    Yes and even then the knock on him was taking too many shifts off. He was dynamite with the Canadiens. He was dynamite with the Islanders. Then his play dropped off significantly after signing the 3 year contract with the Wild. His play without the puck was heavily (very heavily, I might add) throughout his tenure then, and eventually to his buy-out. His performance wasn't classified as sub-par. It was an atrocious contract for a player who didn't give it his all every single night. He might have gotten away with it in his twenties, but he certainly wasn't going to get away with it in his 30s.

He's never been a hard forechecker, relentless in that area but he's smart. I was amazed with the hooking he would do, which he gets away with. I think Vanek needs the right situation again. He worked well with speed in Detroit. He's a great passer and has a wicked shot. High offensive IQ. Last season he was super impressive to me and it's a shame cap wise Detroit couldn't get him back.
    His offensive game was never a question. It's his play without the puck. That's forechecking, backchecking, hitting, separation, and etc.

His Florida game wasn't great but many deadline players struggle. Going to a new team 75 percent into the season. Florida isn't exactly dynamite offensively. Simply put, if you didn't watch him play, don't use reputation opinions. He brought it with Detroit, a miserable team.
    He was super motivated to play well last year on a prove it deal and he did - with the Red Wings anyway. With Florida - he was pretty awful. You can use the deadline player argument, but in the end, it was the same exact thing the preceded him. Laziness, lack of urgency, play without the puck, etc.

I'll take the years of reputation/proof, as well as his clear cut defensive advanced metrics last season, over your "evaluation" of Thomas Vanek over a 48 game period. I don't really care if you were impressed him or not - because to me, he's still a liability and has been for a few years now. And apparently - other NHL teams agree. So simply put, don't tell me not to comment. I'm not spewing stuff out of my ***.

Haters gonna hate

Franson will have a one year deal within the next handful of weeks. I'm still stunned Jagr hasn't been brought in somewhere. Especially on a young team where he can teach amazing work ethic, training and skill. He's still good for 40 points. Vanek will find his way back to Detroit after all things are said.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaiza View Post
    Yes and even then the knock on him was taking too many shifts off. He was dynamite with the Canadiens. He was dynamite with the Islanders. Then his play dropped off significantly after signing the 3 year contract with the Wild. His play without the puck was heavily (very heavily, I might add) throughout his tenure then, and eventually to his buy-out. His performance wasn't classified as sub-par. It was an atrocious contract for a player who didn't give it his all every single night. He might have gotten away with it in his twenties, but he certainly wasn't going to get away with it in his 30s.

His offensive game was never a question. It's his play without the puck. That's forechecking, backchecking, hitting, separation, and etc.

He was super motivated to play well last year on a prove it deal and he did - with the Red Wings anyway. With Florida - he was pretty awful. You can use the deadline player argument, but in the end, it was the same exact thing the preceded him. Laziness, lack of urgency, play without the puck, etc.

I'll take the years of reputation/proof, as well as his clear cut defensive advanced metrics last season, over your "evaluation" of Thomas Vanek over a 48 game period. I don't really care if you were impressed him or not - because to me, he's still a liability and has been for a few years now. And apparently - other NHL teams agree. So simply put, don't tell me not to comment. I'm not spewing stuff out of my ***.
    Whatever you say kid

I gave him credit for last year. What else do you want? I like Vanek and always have, but before this past year, he had a couple years of not living up to expectations and often got lazy. Too much switching teams was definitely a factor I think, but I really thought he'd click again in Minnesota. And that "simply put" BS? Frans Nielsen is my favorite player in the league, so I watched a lot of Detroit last year.

Quote Originally Posted by JLynn943 View Post
    I gave him credit for last year. What else do you want? I like Vanek and always have, but before this past year, he had a couple years of not living up to expectations and often got lazy. Too much switching teams was definitely a factor I think, but I really thought he'd click again in Minnesota. And that "simply put" BS? Frans Nielsen is my favorite player in the league, so I watched a lot of Detroit last year.
    I think I quoted you instead of Shaiza by accident at first.

Vanek was used oddly on the Minnesota PP if I'm not mistaken and just overall didn't fit. Still put up 50 points per over 2 seasons. Finished third on the team in points in Y1 ahead of Koivu, Granlund and Nino. Year 2 still matched those guys in points really.

At this point you use him on the third line against third pairing D pairs, the shootout and the PP. He was never great defensively. Effort was always an issue - nothing has changed. His offensive IQ is there. 48 points in 68 games (leading Detroit in points per game) and then went to a below aveage offensive team in Florida. All things considered, wonderful season.

I think I quoted you instead of Shaiza by accident at first.

Vanek was used oddly on the Minnesota PP if I'm not mistaken and just overall didn't fit. Still put up 50 points per over 2 seasons. Finished third on the team in points in Y1 ahead of Koivu, Granlund and Nino. Year 2 still matched those guys in points really.

At this point you use him on the third line against third pairing D pairs, the shootout and the PP. He was never great defensively. Effort was always an issue - nothing has changed. His offensive IQ is there. 48 points in 68 games (leading Detroit in points per game) and then went to a below aveage offensive team in Florida. All things considered, wonderful season.
    Ah, okay. I was confused, haha. I agree with all of what you're saying here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast