Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transition team behind us...

As the KG/PP/RA era died away, Ainge did what he must do, build anew. It was a team of undersized underdogs, fueled by a new and talented Coach.

There were plenty of arguments here about the relative and absolute merits of players such as AB.

I know that Ainge has finally been freed to do what he thinks is right after he was dead on right about shipping Rondo before Wyc let him, and dealing away KG and PP.

Now its time for the green teamers to see this Ainge is just as relentless as he was putting together the 2007-2008 team, he just needed teams to play ball with him and his Nets picks to mature.

Last years team is a folk hero type team - a team that should probably have been the #3 seed jumped up to #1. Give them credit and give them a place by the fireside as a personal favorite.

This new era/team is going to be great with a capitol "G", and also impersonal, and more able. Bye Bye to the past, welcome brave new era. Ainge was always to be respected and trusted. Those that picked away at him failed to see the big picture and failed to understand how difficult it is to put together a flag winning outfit. It's not a slam dunk, but feels like the early 70's C's after they added White and Cowens to Havlicek. Silas on the way.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Well said. I think I had the Celtics as a 4/5 Seed last year and they utterly surprised me when they became a 1 seed, as I thought that crown was meant for the Raptors. Just a case of the best coach in basketball getting the best of his players.

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    As the KG/PP/RA era died away, Ainge did what he must do, build anew. It was a team of undersized underdogs, fueled by a new and talented Coach.

There were plenty of arguments here about the relative and absolute merits of players such as AB.

I know that Ainge has finally been freed to do what he thinks is right after he was dead on right about shipping Rondo before Wyc let him, and dealing away KG and PP.

Now its time for the green teamers to see this Ainge is just as relentless as he was putting together the 2007-2008 team, he just needed teams to play ball with him and his Nets picks to mature.

Last years team is a folk hero type team - a team that should probably have been the #3 seed jumped up to #1. Give them credit and give them a place by the fireside as a personal favorite.

This new era/team is going to be great with a capitol "G", and also impersonal, and more able. Bye Bye to the past, welcome brave new era. Ainge was always to be respected and trusted. Those that picked away at him failed to see the big picture and failed to understand how difficult it is to put together a flag winning outfit. It's not a slam dunk, but feels like the early 70's C's after they added White and Cowens to Havlicek. Silas on the way.
    Very well said. I expect Danny to bring in 1 or 2 vets as depth pieces before the start of the season. I would think he'd be very aggressive at the trade deadline to fill holes and cover for any injuries that pop up. I don't expect a finals visit this year, but should head right back to the ECF (minus any disastrous injuries).

In 2018 - hopefully the LAL pick will convey and we can add another top 5 pick to our "big 3" and Brown/Tatum. Then it's off to the races. If LBJ bolts out west...The East is ours for the foreseeable future.

City of Champions

To piggy back on your post... DA now has a youth movement to go along with not so old Hayward and Irving and another great vet in Horford... In 07'/08', the C's youth were Baby and Rondo... The BK assets may end up being a bridge to the next decade... Hopefully LA looks to tank for the #1 pick, which may give the C's another top 5 talent...

Good post Bags...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

I don't think LA is going to tank for #1, because that pick goes to Philly.....

Quote Originally Posted by corky831 View Post
    That's correct. It only comes to us if in 2-5 range. Otherwise it goes to Philly.
    Basketball is like war in that offensive weapons are developed first, and it always takes a while for the defense to catch up.

Red Auerbach

Quote Originally Posted by corky831 View Post
    They won't try to tank...But as constructed they're just not that good and their conference is BRUTAL. Even with their best efforts they're still going to be a low win total team.

City of Champions

I feel last years team was similar to the 2002 Antoine/Pierce Celtics in ability in that made their way to the East finals with an overachieving team that had reached its peak. The 2002 team was very flawed but Ainge was not willing(or probably giving permission) to blow up that team the way he blew up this team.

Serious balls to trade IT2 which I applaud him for. My only critique is that I think if we had held steadfast possibly we could have traded away different draft picks instead of the Brooklyn pick but Danny would have been risking not getting Kryrie so I am ok with him slightly overpaying.

C's get younger and better. Perhaps we take a step back next year losing guys like Avery,Crowder, KO, IT2 and Amir to a lesser degree but adding Gordon Hayward and Kyrie is going to make this team a lot better over the long haul. They key is how quickly Tatum and Jaylin develop and what we get with the lakers/sac pick via trade. I expect us to be slightly better this year in the playoffs but probably not as many wins as chemistry is developed and Jaylin and tatum work out the rookie/sophmore kinks. Having said that I am thrilled the the Kyrie trade. Yes we gave up a lot but this team is build now to be very good for a very long time(assuming Kyrie extends). A lot to be excited about. When Horford gets older and his contract expires(in 3 years) we can resign Jaylin/Tatum or trade Horford maybe in final year of deal for upgrade somewhere else.... and look like a team that will be very good in the next year or 2 and title contenders beyond that.

I still think Cleveland looks better on paper and now has serious depth
    El Presidente

I feel last years team was similar to the 2002 Antoine/Pierce Celtics in ability in that made their way to the East finals with an overachieving team that had reached its peak. The 2002 team was very flawed but Ainge was not willing(or probably giving permission) to blow up that team the way he blew up this team.
    Danny was hired in 2003 so yeah, they probably weren't going to let him come in and gut a team that just went to the ECF in his first year.
    Serious balls to trade IT2 which I applaud him for. My only critique is that I think if we had held steadfast possibly we could have traded away different draft picks instead of the Brooklyn pick but Danny would have been risking not getting Kryrie so I am ok with him slightly overpaying.
    Reports coming out now that Kyrie was nearly headed to the Bucks for Brogdan, Middleton and their first. That's a superior offer to IT, Crowder and any non BRK pick we were offering. Danny's hand seems to have been forced by competition. If he could have kept onto the BRK pick, he would have.
    C's get younger and better. Perhaps we take a step back next year losing guys like Avery,Crowder, KO, IT2 and Amir to a lesser degree but adding Gordon Hayward and Kyrie is going to make this team a lot better over the long haul.
    We're better now. Amir and Baynes is a wash out. Tatum should be able to comparably match Olynyks offensive output and won't be hard to match his sub par defense. Crowder is slightly better than Morris but not by much. Kyrie is better than IT and Hayward is worlds better than AB. We improved. No step back talent wise.

City of Champions

I think we're still in transition until the 2020 offseason.

1) At that point Kyrie will hopefully be on an extension and only going into his age 28 season, so still in his prime.

2) Jaylen Brown will hopefully have developed over the next 3 years into another foundation piece - he'll be an RFA which means a relatively cheap cap hold.

3) Jayson Tatum will hopefully have developed into a foundation piece as well. He'll be on a rookie contract still.

4) Hopefully that LAL pick or SAC turns into a very good player as well, who will also be on a rookie deal.

5) Yabusele, Ojeleye and Nader will all be on their rookie deals as well if they prove good enough to stick around.

6) Our own 2018, 2019 and 2020 1st rounders will be on rookie deals. If the MEM pick conveys in 2019 or 2020 that will be another rookie deal. Same with the LAC 2019 1st (hopefully it doesn't turn into two 2nd rounders).

BOS should have flexibility to add 2 max players to this group (exact numbers may require salary dumping some of those first rounders).

At this point, Horford will be a FA and going into his age 34 season so allowed to walk unless he's cheap. Smart and Rozier will have expired before then and if re-signed they become salary dump candidates for flexibility. Hayward will be going into his age 30 season and likely opt out of his deal. Maybe he re-signs long-term into one of those max slots.

At this point, Lebron will be older and GS will be as well. Unless Jaylen and Jayson make huge, immediate strides I don't think we'll be able to fully compete in the interim period until then.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Haven't been this excited to start a season since we got KG n Ray

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post

1) At that point Kyrie will hopefully be on an extension and only going into his age 28 season, so still in his prime.

2) Jaylen Brown will hopefully have developed over the next 3 years into another foundation piece - he'll be an RFA which means a relatively cheap cap hold.

3) Jayson Tatum will hopefully have developed into a foundation piece as well. He'll be on a rookie contract still.

4) Hopefully that LAL pick or SAC turns into a very good player as well, who will also be on a rookie deal.

5) Yabusele, Ojeleye and Nader will all be on their rookie deals as well if they prove good enough to stick around.

6) Our own 2018, 2019 and 2020 1st rounders will be on rookie deals. If the MEM pick conveys in 2019 or 2020 that will be another rookie deal. Same with the LAC 2019 1st (hopefully it doesn't turn into two 2nd rounders).

BOS should have flexibility to add 2 max players to this group (exact numbers may require salary dumping some of those first rounders).

At this point, Horford will be a FA and going into his age 34 season so allowed to walk unless he's cheap. Smart and Rozier will have expired before then and if re-signed they become salary dump candidates for flexibility. Hayward will be going into his age 30 season and likely opt out of his deal. Maybe he re-signs long-term into one of those max slots.

At this point, Lebron will be older and GS will be as well. Unless Jaylen and Jayson make huge, immediate strides I don't think we'll be able to fully compete in the interim period until then.
    DA will get hammered by his critics if the C's don't at least make the NBA Finals in the next 3 seasons...

In 07'/08' the C's received an all world superstar in KG mainly for Big AL and two 1st's... For Ray Ray, it took the 5th pick...

Until the 18' draft order is finalized, will we see what DA really gave up for Kyrie...

I hope BK improves on last season (which I think they will because Atkinson has done a good job with his young players), but if the BK pick ends up being the 1st overall and the C's don't make the Finals, OUCH... I trust DA and Stevens will keep the C's on the course they are currently on...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post

Transitioning? Not sure I agree...perhaps developing? Semantics??? Anyway...this team as it stands right now could be the team we go forward with for the next few years.
    El Presidente

Quote Originally Posted by CELTICS4LYFE View Post
    Haven't been this excited to start a season since we got KG n Ray
    100% agree. Very excited to see Kyrie and Gordon in Celtic green but also how Jaylin has developed and how how good Tatum is against non summer league NBA talent.

I think Semi could be a guy who fills a Jae Crowder type role, although to a lesser extent with less minutes and such...also excited to see if Marcus Smart can fill the defensive stopper/spark off the bench type role. I think fans will like Aron Baynes as well.

One thing I am slightly concerned about is only 4 preseason games with such a new roster there is potential for a learning/chemistry curve to begin the season.
    El Presidente

I just can't see this team getting by CLE unless Lebron leaves.

Just start witht he big 3s. Love is a bit better than Horford and Kyrie is a bit better than IT. Those pairs roughly net out. Lebron is worlds better than Hayward. So huge advantage CLE.

In order to equal them we need our coaching and depth advantages to equalize the gap between Lebron or Hayward.

Our rotation:

Kyrie / Rozier
    Brown / Smart
    Hayward / Tatum
    Morris / Yabusele
    Horford / Baynes

Theirs:

IT / Rose
    Smith / Shumpert
    Lebron / Korver
    Love / Crowder
    Thompson / Frye

So outside of the Big 3 on either side it's:

BOS: Morris / Brown / Smart / Tatum / Rozier / Baynes / Yabusele
    vs.
    CLE: Crowder / Thompson / Rose / Korver / Smith / Frye / Shumpert

Honestly, right now as of today, CLE's dpth players are also probably better than ours. Again, barring Brown/Tatum making huge leaps

So CLE's got better stars and better depth. Unless Jaylen/Tatum make huge strides to being at least fringe all-stars and give us a huge depth advantage I don't see how we top them.

Don't even get me started on comparing us to Golden State...

That's why I say still in transition. I don't see us being able to win until we get better star power. Jaylen/Tatum could develop into that but I expect that to be a few years. And by then Horford will be gone or a depth piece in his mid 30s and Hayward will be in his early 30s if he's even still here once he likely opts out in 3 years.

So by the time we're really competing for titles, I think it's going to be with whatever players we sign into the salary slots of at least Horford. Maybe Hayward but he's young enough that he might be kept.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast